PDA

View Full Version : Schneider lens adapter for DSLR.. Please Help!!

Capitan Krayola
28-Jan-2010, 03:05
Hi, I'm really a noob when it comes to large format photography, but i inherited a Horseman 4x5 and a couple of Schneider lenses and I was wondering if there was a way to use those lenses with my DSLR with an adapter or something. Some help please. Thanks.

Steve Hamley
28-Jan-2010, 04:23
Maybe. They can be adapted with the correct spacing and a helical focusing mount (think thousands of dollars) IF your camera doesn't think it has to communicate with the shutter.

Why not just buy a $50 box of film and use the Horseman? You might like it.

Good luck, Steve

Tony Lakin
28-Jan-2010, 05:31
Hi, I'm really a noob when it comes to large format photography, but i inherited a Horseman 4x5 and a couple of Schneider lenses and I was wondering if there was a way to use those lenses with my DSLR with an adapter or something. Some help please. Thanks.

There is an adapter available which allows some (Nikon for sure) SLR,s or DSLR,s to be fitted to Horseman/Sinar cameras, check Ebay, they are making them in the Far East.

Good luck

Capitan Krayola
28-Jan-2010, 05:57
Thanks guys. Well if I had a good tripod i would definetly use the Horseman but i don't. I hope i can get a tripod soon but i would also like to use the lenses with the DSLR, they're in a really good condition. Thanks guys and I'll check the adapters on ebay.

Joanna Carter
28-Jan-2010, 06:12
Thanks guys. Well if I had a good tripod i would definetly use the Horseman but i don't. I hope i can get a tripod soon but i would also like to use the lenses with the DSLR, they're in a really good condition. Thanks guys and I'll check the adapters on ebay.
The adapters mentioned are only adapters that allow you to mount the DSLR on the back of a 4x5 camera - you will still need the tripod to support the 4x5 camera with your camera attached.

Then think about the focal length of LF lenses - if you have a 150mm lens (standard focal length for LF), you will need to position the lens 150mm (6") from the focal plane of the camera; which is why you need to mount the DSLR on the back of the 4x5 camera.

Capitan Krayola
28-Jan-2010, 06:27
Oh I see. But i thought there might be a way of using the lens directly with the DSLR. Well I guees I'll need both a tripod and the adapter. Thanks.

Carsten Wolff
31-Jan-2010, 15:41
you can always sticky-tape them on the front of an SLR bellows-attachment if you're desperate (I've done that before; and I also made myself a simple Nikon adapter for my view-camera once by bolting an old extension tube onto a piece of aluminium on the back standard); but whereas it may nice to play with these lenses on a DSLR, it is not THAT exciting that it would warrant re-inventing the wheel for it.....

Capitan Krayola
1-Feb-2010, 20:42
Yeah that's what I did. I had an old Nikkor lens and I took it all apart and made a back for the horseman camera with a 4x5 piece of wood and the back of the Nikkor lens in the middle. It works perfectly and I get really good zoom range. It's pretty fun, I'll see if i can post some photos later.

stealthman_1
1-Feb-2010, 21:41
The bellows attachment and tape works, I've played with a couple 110 year old lenses on my D3 that way.:)