PDA

View Full Version : Trying to ID an old Polaroid Pack Back

bobwysiwyg
26-Jan-2010, 15:08
I've done a search and I know there are many posts regarding Polaroid pack backs and which ones are suitable for the remaining Fuji packs. My problem is I can't identify what I have. It came with some Cambo gear. The entire assembly is about 1-1/8" thick, has the word Polaroid on the back surface, but no other indication other than "Made in the Netherlands" inside, an A3A embossed in the use diagram area and what appears to be a date on a foam tab, 10/88. Pics are below. I suspect its but a paperweight or tripod leveler :p , but thought I would check first.

Oh, and the image opening is about 3-1/8 X 4-1/4

Peter K
26-Jan-2010, 15:14
It's a Polaroid Type 405 back and can be used with the smaller size Fuji instant film pack. E. g. FP-100C (http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/fujifilm_instant_films/fp_100c/index.html) 3.5 x 4.25".

Peter

bobwysiwyg
26-Jan-2010, 15:25
It's a Polaroid Type 405 back and can be used with the smaller size Fuji instant film pack.

Peter

Really?! It appears quite clean inside, including the roller. I may have to give it a try if I can figure out how to load it. Thanks.

Aahx
26-Jan-2010, 15:44
Also with regular usage you will want to clean the rollers (chemical goo can oose out the sides when in use).
The roller assembly can pop out easly so you then can pull each roller off and clean them and the assembly with denatured alchohol before reassembly. Regular maintence of this sort will help keep it in great shape for years to come. I have had my 405 back now for over 20 years and it still works great with my leftover (now outdated) 669 film. Its just critical one keeps it clean.

bobwysiwyg
26-Jan-2010, 15:52
Thanks for the tip. I like your sig. line. Reminds me of work. :)

Peter K
26-Jan-2010, 16:00
Really?! It appears quite clean inside, including the roller. I may have to give it a try if I can figure out how to load it. Thanks.
Follow the instructions packed with the film.

Remove the wrapping foil from the film-pack. Place the film-pack with the plastic window toward the darkslide in the holder. Close the holder and pull the black cover paper up to it's removed completely. After the first sheet is exposed, pull the narrow paper leader and a wider paper leader appears from the processing slot. Pulling the narrow tab does not initiate processing, it merely positions the film for the next step. Pull the wider tab not to fast but without interruption up to the film sandwich is totaly removed from the filmholder. After the recommended processing time the positive is peeled from the rest of the film unit which is then discarded. The next narrow tab for the next exposure is ready for processing the next film sandwich.

Peter

bobwysiwyg
26-Jan-2010, 16:23
Thanks, Peter. I've saved your note. It will probably be clearer with the film pack in front of me. Just ordered one to give this a try. I missed the entire Polaroid era, never shot any, never owned a cam for it. Until recently, I only shot 35mm, hence my ignorance of things Polaroid.

bobwysiwyg
26-Jan-2010, 17:05
OK, making some progress, I think. I did some Googling and found some videos, one in particular described how to load it (very dark lighting though) but it was a slightly different designed 405 holder. In the video, the end of the holder where you pull the tabs out swings out and then back over the tabs after loading. Mine only has a slot with a thin spring loaded door over it. I guess I have to figure out how to start feeding things through there on loading it.

In examining my loader I was a bit confused by directions folks have provided so far, until I saw the video. Mine apparently still has the tin skeleton case from the last pack ever put through it and it was never removed, so it is not a permanent part of the holder, unless someone corrects me. ;)

IanMazursky
26-Jan-2010, 17:26
I have the same one that came with my crown graphic from my grandfather.
You are correct that the metal piece inside was left over form the last pack.
They are pretty robust but i would pop the rollers assembly out and clean them before you put a new pack in.
Over the years they accumulate lots of dried goo and dust.