PDA

View Full Version : telephoto data

Bruce Watson
25-Jan-2010, 17:22
I'm thinking (dangerous, I know) about a camera design. I'd like to be able to handle lenses in the 600mm range. But my arms aren't long enough to support my ambitions. :rolleyes: So what I'm wondering is, are then any telephotos in that range, and what are the flange-focal distances? There's probably a lens table out there somewhere that includes telephotos, but if there is I haven't come up with the correct search terms to locate it. Sigh...

Ideally what I'd end up with is a 600mm lens that needed less than 500mm bellows draw. Preferably somewhere between 360mm and 450mm. More or less. Kinda sorta. Y'all know what I mean. Lens suggestions?

Blumine
25-Jan-2010, 17:35
The Fuji 600mm T takes 67mm filters is in a copal 1 shutter and requires 380mm of bellows. It is a fairly heavy lens but it works very very well.

The Nikon telephotos are good too, but I have never used them.

Blumine

Lachlan 717
25-Jan-2010, 18:01
Here you go:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

Steve Barber
26-Jan-2010, 12:29
I have a Fujinon 600T and I like it, but it is slow and, with the telephoto design and its smaller image circle, it gives up a lot in the way of movements, particularly using the front standard. Most of the time, I can do better with a 45cm Artar; cropping and enlarging to what I want and not having to deal with the weight and bulk of the Fujinon.

Arne Croell
26-Jan-2010, 13:16
The Nikkor-T 600mm f/9 has 409.2mm, Schneiders Apo-Tele-Xenar 600mm f/9 has 461.3mm flange-focal distance. Both came/come in a size 3 shutter. If you're adventurous and not deterred by 6.5 lbs of lens weight, Hugo Meyer made a 600mm f/5.5 Tele-Megor in a Compound 5 shutter in the 1940's, ffd is around 380mm or a little less.

Eric Leppanen
26-Jan-2010, 14:09
I have never tried the Fuji 600T. The Nikon 600T is quite good if you don't mind its bulk and the kick of its Copal 3 shutter, and it supports a significantly larger image circle than the Fuji (the Nikon IC spec is conservative). I assume that you already have lenses in the 300-450 range, and switching to the Nikon 360/500/720T is not an option.

FWIW: I shot a Fuji 600C (non-telephoto) with extended lens board on an Ebony SV45U2 for several years. I found that, when shooting infinity subjects, I got nice sharp images when the air was crystal clear. But atmospheric haze, convection currents, etc. all too frequently conspired to significantly reduce the resolution of my photographs. I ultimately sold the Fuji and SV45U2, and have been much happier shooting a Nikon 1200T on 8x10 (of course, I use mostly back movements with this configuration :) ).