PDA

View Full Version : question about Markins Q3

mo
23-Jan-2010, 20:03
I have a shen hao 4x5 camera, 90 mm nikon and 240 mm.
I am in the process of purchasing a ball head for a new carbon fiber tripod and I have been looking specifically at the Markins Q3.
Will this ballhead be sturdy enough to hold the aforemetioned gear ?
Anybody with experience with the ballhead please chime in.
Thanks
Mo Kenny

anchored
23-Jan-2010, 21:43
I don't have a Markin ball head yet (currently using Arca-Swiss B2 on carbon-fiber tripod and Manfrotto panhead on the studio tripod), but both of my brothers use Markin heads (both use M20's). I've used and compared them against Arca and RRS ballheads. They appear to be extremely sturdy, have been trouble-free for both my brothers, and are MUCH lighter than other ball heads (made of titanium). They also appear to lock to the camera better than my Arca due to their matching to camera-brand pin-lock.

The Q3 may be too light for the large format system, and would suggest stepping up to the M20... or at least to the M10. Even these heavier models are extraordinarily light (the large M20 only 1.25 lbs.). You might consider calling and talking to the owner prior to deciding which model would be best for your camera.

When I can justify the expenditure I plan to replace the Arca on my carbon-fiber tripod with the Markin M20 in order to further reduce weight of the system.

D. Bryant
23-Jan-2010, 21:47
I have a shen hao 4x5 camera, 90 mm nikon and 240 mm.
I am in the process of purchasing a ball head for a new carbon fiber tripod and I have been looking specifically at the Markins Q3.
Will this ballhead be sturdy enough to hold the aforemetioned gear ?
Anybody with experience with the ballhead please chime in.
Thanks
Mo Kenny
I use the Q3 successfully with my Chamonix and my DSLRs. I can mount a 70-200 f/2.8 zoom on the Q3 and have no problems with satbility.

Hope this helps,

Don Bryant