PDA

View Full Version : "Dark Box" for developing?

healyzh
22-Jan-2010, 15:20
Right now I lack a good method for handling darkroom work. I have a closet that I can use for loading and unloading film. I am looking to be able to develop sheet film as well as do basic contact prints. Right now I'm shooting 4x5, but hope to step up to 8x10. I'm not against doing tray development, and can see benefits in doing it that way. I'm curious to know about people doing this in either a changing tent, or a specially constructed box.

I think the route to go might be the specially constructed box, so would be especially interested in information on that.

Qzone
22-Jan-2010, 19:01
I've been using the Drum roller (Search Omega, Beseller, UniColor, Sima Color, etc..) for quite a while. You can pick up Drum and motorized base cheap.

Very easy to use and convenient. Load the film in the dark - but process in daylight from Developing, Fix, to Hypo clear. Does 4-4x5 sheets at a time, or less if you want. Motorized agitation. Uses very little chemicals. Takes up very little counter space. Consistant results. No scratches or streaks.

Joe Smigiel
22-Jan-2010, 19:06
You might check ebay for dental darkrooms or those used by minilabs. A portable Fuji DKB-24 (?) will run somewhere between $25-$75 depending on the day and condition.

ki6mf
23-Jan-2010, 05:24
For film development the two daylight agitation tanks are Jobo or HP Combi. There are other daylight tanks however are not in production and you have to search for them on E Bay.

I have used both and liked the HP Combi and have four of them. The HP Combi, for me, loads faster and can take up to 6 sheets at a time. I have had no problems with them.

They do have a slower pour time than other tanks. As I shoot the zone system I did all my testing for film speed with the pour time in mind, pour times were in addition to all other tests, and have had no problems. If there is leakage as some claim its usually because I did not seal the tank properly.

Rafal Lukawiecki
23-Jan-2010, 06:16
Another happy HP CombiPlan user. :) It can take 20-30s to fill and empty, but it has never affected my process, I guess I compensate for it somewhere or perhaps I just don't notice...

Paul H
24-Jan-2010, 02:31
I use a Paterson Orbital for 4x5 and 9x12cm sheet film (it'll do up to 8x10). I load it in a changing bag.

John Kasaian
25-Jan-2010, 23:29
I use a Unicolor. You can load the drum in your closet and let the roller base do the work for you in a well lit room---such as a kitchen where the fridge and beer reside!:)
If there is room in your closet for a light source (I'm currently using a llittle enlarger for printing 8x10 negatives) you might be able to squeeze in a vertical tank if there is no room for trays or once again, load a drum in the dark and go have a cold beer.

csant
26-Jan-2010, 01:44
If you want a dark box you can also read up on what wetplate photographers use, they are used to lug around dark boxes, so they even are "portable" (well, for some value of that word…)

d.s.
30-Jan-2010, 08:35
I also use a Unicolor Uniroller that has auto reversing, with a paper drum. I works great. Plug it into a Gra Lab timer. Then stand back and watch it work.
Got it and several others, (for backups or parts), on the auction site for around $35.00 ea.

Load it in the bathroom process on the kitchen counter. I use 300 ml or so of developer for four 4x5 negs, and 12 oz.'s of beer.

d.s.