PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1 vs F2 - How can I visually spot the difference?

gevalia
22-Jan-2010, 13:32
Sorry for the rather simple question but I am wondering how I can visually spot the difference between an F1 and F2.

Richard Raymond
22-Jan-2010, 13:48
The fastest way is to look at the front standard where it clamps onto the rail. The F1 has a "hole" just above the rail. The F2 has no hole.
The F1 is on the right below.
Ric

rdenney
22-Jan-2010, 13:59
Sorry for the rather simple question but I am wondering how I can visually spot the difference between an F1 and F2.

The F2's front standard is solid, like the rear standard, and it has geared focusing, like the rear standard. If the front standard looks like an opposite-hand version of the rear, it's an F2.

The F1 and F front standard uses a hinged clip under the monorail and does not have geared focus.

There are some other differences, too. The F2 allows a higher rise on the front standard to accommodate format changing kits. And it has a rear ground glass holder with a slot for the Sinar film-plan meter probe. The F1 does not have the metering back. The F2 has separate locks for swing and shift, while the F1 and F use the same lock for both. The F2's tilt lock turns opposite the F's (don't know about the F1 on that one). The F2 uses a steel plate for the detent ball for centering the front shift, while the F (don't know about the F1) lets the detent ball ride in a track in the aluminum standard, which causes wear.

Rick "who has both an F and F2 front standard for his Sinar" Denney

Jerry Flynn
22-Jan-2010, 13:59
Note also in the pictures that Richard supplied that the f2 has two concentric knobs on the right hand side of the front - the larged one locks the rise/fall, the smaller is a fine focus drive. The f1 has only one knob, which locks the rise/fall.

rdenney
22-Jan-2010, 14:02
The F1 is on the right below.
Ric

Actually, the F1 is on the left in your attachments.

Rick "for posterity" Denney

gevalia
22-Jan-2010, 16:12
http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/Other/Film-Testing/1512140608740x480/770876156_qEvBg-M.jpg

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/Other/Film-Testing/1512140605740x480/770877886_titkh-O.jpg

Excellent, my F1 is actually an F2 - solid front standard, geared focus. And here I was thinking "these guys are crazy because the F1 is great.". And nice to know I got 1 sweet deal.

I hope ! ! !

rdenney
22-Jan-2010, 21:47
http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/Other/Film-Testing/1512140608740x480/770876156_qEvBg-M.jpg

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/Other/Film-Testing/1512140605740x480/770877886_titkh-O.jpg

Excellent, my F1 is actually an F2 - solid front standard, geared focus. And here I was thinking "these guys are crazy because the F1 is great.". And nice to know I got 1 sweet deal.

I hope ! ! !

Are your pictures reversed? The controls are on the wrong side.

The metering back on yours is enough to identify it as an F2, in addition to the geared focus on the front standard.

Rick "who has an F2 front standard and an F+ read standard" Denney

Frank Petronio
22-Jan-2010, 22:26
It's kind of nice to swap the metering back for the older non-metering back. Only the most perverse would still use the metering probe set-up.

What a lot of people do is buy two Sinar F(x) models and assemble an outfit out of them both, and sell the extra parts they won't likely need as spares here or on eBay.

Richard Raymond
23-Jan-2010, 00:17
Rick is right about me getting my lefts and rights mixed up on the pictures I loaded. This kind of mixup is even more embarrassing when I am out in the field doing some survey work!! :o

Ric

kev curry
23-Jan-2010, 02:51
Richard, get some sticky labels marked left and right for your shoes, works for me.

David McNiven
23-Jan-2010, 04:59
Kev, who stuck the labels on for you?

Bjorn Nilsson
23-Jan-2010, 05:05
It's kind of nice to swap the metering back for the older non-metering back. Only the most perverse would still use the metering probe set-up.

While the metering back or rather a Booster 1 metering probe + Minolta meter isn't really neccesary for normal outdoors shooting, it's very nice to have available when shooting still lifes with studio flashes. I also have good use for it when using old brass lenses or petzval lenses, as e.g. my cinema petzval doesn't have an aperture scale. These old lenses arn't coated so there can be a lot of flare which can mess up both the exposure and the whole shot if you're unlucky, something which the metering probe will show.
Else, the non-metering back is lighter and there are less things which can break or hook onto something by accident.

//Björn

kev curry
28-Jan-2010, 00:41
Kev, who stuck the labels on for you?

My old driving instructor...he's great with this kind of thing.

marcogiardini
6-Sep-2010, 07:02
but wich of the 2 is the best one?

erie patsellis
6-Sep-2010, 07:09
The one you have at your disposal right now, as opposed to the one you want. Both are good cameras, I have an F1 and while an F2 would be nice, not enough to spend the money, at least for me.

marcogiardini
6-Sep-2010, 08:36
The one you have at your disposal right now, as opposed to the one you want. Both are good cameras, I have an F1 and while an F2 would be nice, not enough to spend the money, at least for me.

I mean if the vertical and horizontal shifts are the same and if the contols are the same on both models.
thanks anyway

marco

Paul Kierstead
6-Sep-2010, 09:31
I mean if the vertical and horizontal shifts are the same and if the contols are the same on both models.

The controls are not the same; the F2 offers more independent locks on the front movements.

I bought a used F2, looks like it has never been used, but did not have a metering back (thankfully!). On my P2, I had to mess with the metering back to allow a polaroid back to fit.

rdenney
6-Sep-2010, 16:55
but wich of the 2 is the best one?

Depends on what you need. If you like having a geared front focus in addition to the geared rear focus, and if having separate controls for swing and shift is really meaningful to you, and if you ever want to put a larger-format rear on the camera, you might prefer the F2.

But the F and F1 work just fine without those features, so only you can determine what those features are worth to you. F2's usually do get more money than F1's, if for no other reason because they are often newer.

Rick "who bought an F2 front standard for his F if that means anything" Denney

Drew Wiley
6-Sep-2010, 17:00
The distinction already noted between the way the front standard clamps down is
significant. The f2 is a lot more durable.

Frank Petronio
6-Sep-2010, 19:17
The clamp on the bottom of the F1 front standard and the older F model is metal held in a plastic channel. It holds up fine in most cases but I've seen them cracked too. In which case you need a little tape....