PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Filter Thingy?

neil poulsen
21-Jan-2010, 16:33
Hi. Maybe someone recognizes this filter thingy? At least I think it's a filter related thingy. I believe it's Horseman. Thanks.

The opening is 3 3/4" by 4 15/16".

Robert A. Zeichner
21-Jan-2010, 17:44
was there supposed to be an attachment?

BrianShaw
21-Jan-2010, 18:43
Yes, I believe that is indeed some sort of filter thingy! :)

Len Middleton
21-Jan-2010, 20:46
That would indeed be the technical term for it...

Robert Hughes
21-Jan-2010, 20:47
It looks like a holder for a (3"x3"?) Wratten gelatin filter.

neil poulsen
22-Jan-2010, 10:23
Dunno what happened to the attachments. They were in the post just as they are now last night, and they disappeared??? Please see above.

lenser
22-Jan-2010, 11:26
Neil,

What are the dimensions on this thing? It reminds me less of a filter holder and more like an insert that was made and marketed about 20-25 years ago that was called "Create a frame". This isn't that same thing, but it looks a bit like it.

The insert would fit inside the camera near the film plane with a 4x5 transparency inserted for double exposure use for product backgrounds. The inserted film could be any image that had been chosen to use as a background.

It worked like this: You always had to shoot on a pure white background. The holder for the insert would fit in front of the film holder and had to be in place for focusing before the film holder was inserted. The foreground subject was placed and composed with this insert in place and then lights turned off for the subject.

With the background lights set like high key, that is 1.5 to 2 stops brighter than the subject, the background image in it's insert sleeve was dropped into the insert holder and that exposure made, essentially duping the transparency onto the fresh film.

Next, cover the background with black velvet or otherwise totally block the light from the background, remove the insert sleeve with the image very carefully so as to not move the camera position, and turn on the subject lights and make that exposure.

The only critical thing was to have the camera anchored so no chance of any motion that would cause the foreground and background to overlap.

I've got one of these things given by a friend who never used it and neither have I. Always wanted to try it, but I guess it's more than a little outdated in the digital world.

Tim