PDA

View Full Version : New to Large format Photography

AL-Romaithi
20-Jan-2010, 04:27
Hi,
I am new to Large format Photography. I was wondering what i would be needing. I am Planing on buying the Ebony SV57. my question is.

1. What my starter kit would be consist of? (I never used LF camera before)
2. I have no idea what to get for a lens. I know that the Schneider is the best. but a am already spending a fortune on the camera. i can not afford Schneider lens now. but if you would recommend Schneider, which one?
3. Is there a sites I should be aware of.
4. How many film holder should i get. dose it make a different if its made of wood or plastic?
5. Will the camera fit on my manfrotto 055mf3 tripod
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2278
with 468MGRC5 HYDROSTATIC BALL HEAD
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/2317?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2
, or i have to get a new one?
Thanks,

Steve Hamley
20-Jan-2010, 05:12
I think you'll find many of your questions answered on our home page.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Cheers, Steve

AL-Romaithi
20-Jan-2010, 06:36
I think you'll find many of your questions answered on our home page.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Cheers, Steve

it would have been nice of you if you at least gave me the link. i don't see how I would benefit from your answer above. I am here ??? either you answer my question, or you save the space you wasted by just saying "Oh just search it!"

AL-

Steve Hamley
20-Jan-2010, 07:37
I did post a link and I can see it. Maybe your browser isn't displaying it properly? In any case, go to the top of this page and click on "LF Home Page".

Cheers, Steve

J D Clark
20-Jan-2010, 10:15
The LF Home Page will have information that will answer a lot of your questions. What I would like to do is provide some ideas that will give you some more to think about.

-- A 5x7 camera will be great, however, it will be somewhat more expensive to learn on than 4x5. The learning process will take a couple of years (I'm still learning after 10). If you choose the right lens, it will be usable on a 5x7 if you were to start on a 4x5 and then go to 5x7 (or maybe bigger?) later. For instance, the Schneider 210mm APO Symmar easily covers 5x7, and is my most-used lens for 4x5.

-- I bought one of those Schneider 210mm APO Symmar lenses for about $350 recently, so the prices are very good if you do due diligence in your search.

-- The number of film holders you carry is somewhat of a personal choice. At one workshop I was at recently, one person had 8 or 9 film holders, but had to re-load them every day to continue making photographs. I have 24 4x5 film holders, so I generally have to re-load only every several days unless something spectacular comes up. Also, note that the cost for 5x7 film holders could be an issue. There should be little difference with wood and plastic, but be careful that any wood film holders you get are not warped.

-- Some people use them, but I don't like ballheads for large format cameras at all. Some of my friends insisted on the ballheads they used for smaller formats, but eventually agreed with me and replaced their ballheads after using them with a lightweight 4x5. I would think that it would be even more difficult with a 5x7.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Robert Hughes
20-Jan-2010, 10:38
...it will be somewhat more expensive to learn on ...
Well, if AL-Romaithi is buying an Ebony 5x7 as his starter camera, clearly expense is not a concern. I'd say he should buy a whole bunch of lenses, brand new, and sell off the ones he doesn't like - to us - for really cheap, because they aren't the best! :p

Steve Hamley
20-Jan-2010, 11:06
Good cameras and lenses have never been cheap, but the Ebonys aren't any more expensive than similar quality cameras in 35mm, digital, or medium format.

On many forums, spending a similar amount on a high end digital system, Leicas, or even Hasselblad would elicit congratulations and encouragement. I think our LF forums are the only ones where someone considering purchasing a nice new camera or new lens almost always brings derision.

Large format cameras are like horses; if you think buying one is expensive, wait until you start feeding it. So get what you want. If you shoot a lot the equipment cost is small and fixed compared to the long term film and other supporting costs.

My two cents, go for it AL-Romaithi.

Cheers, Steve

Jack Dahlgren
20-Jan-2010, 12:06
On many forums, spending a similar amount on a high end digital system, Leicas, or even Hasselblad would elicit congratulations and encouragement. I think our LF forums are the only ones where someone considering purchasing a nice new camera or new lens almost always brings derision.

On some forums, the focus is about aquisition of new gear first and photography second. This is nothing surprising and should be obvious. This forum tends to be more about using the equipment. That is why someone who knows nothing about large format photography buying an expensive first camera triggers remarks which you may be interpreting as derisive.

Perhaps it is just anecdotal, but in the short time I've been watching the for sale forum I've noticed a number of complete kits which people are selling with very little or no use. Often I think the idea of large format photography is more alluring than the reality of it. And when I see someone setting out to buy "the best" when they have never loaded film, I wonder about their priorities.

Steve Hamley
20-Jan-2010, 13:34
Often I think the idea of large format photography is more alluring than the reality of it.

That's true every time I carry an 8x10 up a hill!

Cheers, Steve

J D Clark
20-Jan-2010, 15:39
I don't know that there was any derision implied -- his statement was that he felt that a Schneider lens was too expensive right now -- perhaps he's planning on buying everything brand new, but if not, a $300-500 lens being too expensive indicates to me that expense is possibly a consideration.

That might not be the situation, and in that case, I also recommend going for it!

The way I got into large format was by buying a Schneider 150mm Symmar-S, and built a Bender camera to minimize expense, and to determine whether I would like it. Loved using the Bender immediately, and have since had a Zone VI, and now a Linhof Master Technika.

John Clark
www.johndclark.com

Laura_Campbell
20-Jan-2010, 16:00
I kept my 8x10 set up as low budget as I could because I wanted to recoup the money I spent on gear, and maximize my profit margin when I print and sell. Maybe some time in the future, a year or two from now, I'll be able to afford a lighter 8x10. For now though the workout with my Agfa suits me fine.

AL-Romaithi
20-Jan-2010, 23:13
I did post a link and I can see it. Maybe your browser isn't displaying it properly? In any case, go to the top of this page and click on "LF Home Page".

Cheers, Steve

Sorry, my bad. I can see the link now therefor, agin a apologize.
Thanks,

AL Romaithi

AL-Romaithi
21-Jan-2010, 00:13
A 5x7 camera will be great, however, it will be somewhat more expensive to learn on than 4x5. The learning process will take a couple of years (I'm still learning after 10).

Dear John Clark,

Thanks, I kind of learned the hared way when I bought my first D-SLR. after few months, I discovered that the camera I have was APS sensor (Small sensor then 35mm). I had to sell it cheap with all the accessories and the lenses simply because it will not fit my new camera sensor size.

so, I wanted to start with a good size camera so I don't have to make the change very soon. I wanted to start with 4X5 but a good advise from a friend (Photographer, 8X10, and ultra wide i think its 11X20, Platinum Photography) told me to get the 5X7 and reducing back to 4X5. so i can use both formats.