PDA

View Full Version : Replacing hangers with Combi-Plan carrier

Wayne Crider
19-Jan-2010, 18:36
I need to use something easier then hangers when developing and am thinking that I might be able to use a Combi-Plan film carrier with my utility tanks. (I don't need their tank) Before I order one, does anyone have dimensions of the carrier unit so I can make sure it will work. I need the width and height needed to cover the film with developer. Thanks

Gem Singer
19-Jan-2010, 18:51
Assuming that these tanks are Yankee Utility tanks. They will hold two Combi-Plan film hangers at the same time (for dip-and-dunk processing).

Two liters of solution will cover the film hangers.

Ironically, I used that system until I found that I preferred the way stainless steel film hangers worked with the Yankee Utility tanks.

The notches along the top rim of the Yankee Utility Tanks allowed the s. steel hangers to hang evenly spaced, and I could easily feel them in the dark.

Note: Yankee Utility Tanks are not the same as Yankee Daylight Developing Tanks.

Wayne Crider
19-Jan-2010, 19:01
Thanks Gem. I figured that the handle on the top of the Combi-Plan wold make the operation a little easier for me. I'm also looking to minimize any surge marks which I've had in the past.

Gem Singer
19-Jan-2010, 19:43
Wayne,

Those surge marks happen when the stainless steel hangers are pumped straight up and down too vigorously and too frequently, especially in a relatively small tank.

To avoid surge marks, lift the film hangers upward, almost completely out of the developing solution, gently tilt them toward you about 45 degrees, then drop them back into the developer.

Lift the hangers a second time, gently tilt them about 45 degrees away from you, then drop them back into the developer.

Do this lifting and tilting sequence no more than once each minute.

You'll be surprised at the difference it also makes in the sharpness of your negatives.