PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Aplanate No2 F6

Noeyedear
19-Jan-2010, 05:19
Hi,
Does anyone know about this lens . It's engraved with Rath. Opt. Tnd? Anst? vom? Emil Busch Rathenon. I think that's what it says, the way it's engraved I can not decipher an "R" from an "N" or something else.
I only ask because I'm using it on a 5x7 camera and I have been stopping way down to make counting easier. I have since bought a lot of ND, but the weather is rubbish I can't use it.
My question is because it says "Portrait" can I expect a soft focus at wider Apertures, the fact that it goes to f4 makes me think it would. At f64 and smaller it's pin sharp. Also any idea of it's focal length, I'm guessing at about 150mm - 160mm.
Any information practical or historical is most welcome.
Being brought up on modern shuttered lenses these brass barrel lenses are a mystery to me.

Thanks

Kevin.

CCHarrison
19-Jan-2010, 05:36
You can see this lens and its specs listed on my 1904 Busch Lens page here ( top page )

Basically a fast Rapid Rectilinear lens with very modest coverage wide open, improves upon stopping down...

http://antiquecameras.net/1904buschlensads.html

Dan

Noeyedear
19-Jan-2010, 05:47
You can see this lens and its specs listed on my 1904 Busch Lens page here ( top page )

http://antiquecameras.net/1904buschlensads.html

Dan

Dam I've been had, £2 7/6 for a new one, I paid £60. for mine and it's secondhand! Looks like I will keep using it stopped down unless I want fuzz and vignetting at the extremes.:D

Thanks,

Kevin.

renes
4-Oct-2010, 11:47
I have exactly this Emil Busch lens, did not use it yet, it's engraved: "Portrait Aplanat No.2 Rath. Opt. Ind. Anst. vorm Emil Busch Rathenow".

Apreture says f/4-384, but actually it's f/6.3-64, correct me if I am wrong. Lens cover 4x5, it's 7" (180mm) focal lenght.

I wonder what image can I expect using it fully opened with 6x9 (p.e. in portraiture) and is this Busch "Portrait" aplanat differs in image quality to standard Busch Roja "Rapid Aplanat" f/6-384 (actually f/7.7-64)?

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6710/42799050.jpg

Steven Tribe
4-Oct-2010, 13:15
Lens do sometimes change over time - but my catalogue for 1910 still has the portrait aplanat and it gives F.6. The efl for no.2 is given as 28cm (as opposed to CC's 7"?)and 65 degrees, coverage is 13x18cm and 21x26cm at small stops. In early German lens nomenclature, no. 2 is often the size for 5x7" - whilst no. 1 is usually for 4x5".
Remember to check focal length to the aperture position - it sounds as though it follows Dan's catalogue values.

renes
4-Oct-2010, 14:05
Lens do sometimes change over time - but my catalogue for 1910 still has the portrait aplanat and it gives F.6. The efl for no.2 is given as 28cm (as opposed to CC's 7"?)and 65 degrees, coverage is 13x18cm and 21x26cm at small stops. In early German lens nomenclature, no. 2 is often the size for 5x7" - whilst no. 1 is usually for 4x5".
Remember to check focal length to the aperture position - it sounds as though it follows Dan's catalogue values.

I checked it and got 180mm at infinity. There is F6 engraving on the brass but as you can see on the above photo the apreture range starts from F4. According to:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3920/fnumbers.gif

it refers to f6,3. I have also Emil Busch Rapid Aplanat 340mm F8 lens with apreture range f6-384, and it's f7,7 actually. Am I correct?

goamules
4-Oct-2010, 14:27
I also have a Busch F6 Portrait Aplanat. You should try it wide open too. Softer affect.

renes
4-Oct-2010, 14:32
I also have a Busch F6 Portrait Aplanat. You should try it wide open too. Softer affect.

I will do. Need to make shutter adapter first.

Louis Pacilla
4-Oct-2010, 15:55
Hi Kevin

"My question is because it says "Portrait" can I expect a soft focus at wider Apertures"

I have a 14" Busch Portrait aplanat No.4 while creamy smooth wide open with a shallower depth of field than a f8 R.R. Mine DOSE NOT really glow like soft focus or diffused focus lens. Just to be clear. Not a soft focus/diffused lens.

That said it's a wonderful fast Rectilinear lens With smoothness & a touch of roundness but not quit as much as Portrait Euryscope.