PDA

View Full Version : Wet Weather

Bill Kumpf
17-Jan-2010, 12:34
Sunday morning – I had planned on skipping church and going out to burn some FP4. God knew, it rained all morning, the creeks are flooded, the yard is mud, just a mess.

Does anyone have wet weather photos that would inspire me to go out in the rain?

Joanna Carter
17-Jan-2010, 13:17
How about this one - 10 seconds exposure in pouring rain, but with me sheltering under the non-derelict half of the roof of a derelict boathouse on Loch Etive in Scotland.

http://grandes-images.com/en/Landscape/Pages/Glencoe_files/Media/LochEtiveDerelictPier/LochEtiveDerelictPier.jpg

jim kitchen
17-Jan-2010, 18:39
Dear Bill,

Here's one from the coast, where it was a cold rainy miserable September day, and I am certain that other excellent coastal image makers, or image makers that have one or two rain filled images, will certainly support your quest for encouragement... :)

jim k

Wickaninnish Beach, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, 2007

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/07090703_letterbox.jpg

Mark Richardson
18-Jan-2010, 04:27
I would like to say Joanna, I love it. What causes those hues on the hills? Stunning.

Joanna Carter
18-Jan-2010, 04:39
I would like to say Joanna, I love it. What causes those hues on the hills? Stunning.
The purple is heather and the gold is bracken.

Mark Richardson
18-Jan-2010, 04:52
The purple is heather and the gold is bracken.

I shall google them... none of which I believe occur in South Australia.[driest state on the driest continent on earth] Thanks.

Peter Mounier
18-Jan-2010, 08:51
I didn't purposely go out in the rain to get a shot, but I was caught out in the rain. Luckily for me and my camera it was more of a threat than anything else. With the thunder and lightning going on close by, I hightailed it out of there as soon as this shot was taken.
Eastern Sierra Nevada mts. in a thunderstorm. Lone Pine Peak, July 1995.

Peter

http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/Tstorm.jpg

Bill_1856
18-Jan-2010, 09:31
I didn't purposely go out in the rain to get a shot, but I was caught out in the rain. Luckily for me and my camera it was more of a threat than anything else. With the thunder and lightning going on close by, I hightailed it out of there as soon as this shot was taken.
Eastern Sierra Nevada mts. in a thunderstorm. Lone Pine Peak, July 1995.

Peter

http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/Tstorm.jpg

Jezus! What a negative that must be! I'd love to see what kind of print St. Ansel could have gotten out of it.

Wayne R. Scott
20-Jan-2010, 17:41
I had planned on shooting today. Woke up to 30 degrees and rain, which equals ice on everything. Shot this on back deck to try to get motivated to go photograph today.

Wayne

Vaughn
20-Jan-2010, 18:08
Looks like we are in for a long spell of wet weather. Perhaps a long walk under the redwoods without the camera is due. I developed some 120 film last night. I have some 8x10 to develop, but I lost my to-it. It is round, so it must have rolled under something, but I can't find it. I'll develop those 8x10 negs as soon as I get a round to-it.

Vaughn

PS...I just found a misplaced, almost full, 50 sheet box of 8x10 Tri-X. Thought I was down to my last sheets of 8x10. Nice fine -- I should clean my office more often!

Lachlan 717
20-Jan-2010, 18:14
I shall google them... none of which I believe occur in South Australia.[driest state on the driest continent on earth] Thanks.

Mark,

Close-ish Aussie plant is probably the Epacris impressa (although this is still somewhat different) which you should have in south east SA.

Jim Fitzgerald
20-Jan-2010, 18:17
Looks like we are in for a long spell of wet weather. Perhaps a long walk under the redwoods without the camera is due.

Vaughn, wet down here also. I would love to go on a long walk in the Redwoods without a camera. Great experience. Closest I can come is last Sunday's walk from Camp Curry to the Yosemite Lodge in the rain with my son. Very special time. We were the only ones out. The others did not know what they were missing.

Jim

ps: I need to get up your way this year. Maybe October.

Bruce Watson
21-Jan-2010, 08:33
Does anyone have wet weather photos that would inspire me to go out in the rain?

Got a nice picture of a dogwood in bloom that only works because it's raining. The rain soaked the bark on all the trees making it very dark, which makes the green leaves and the white blossoms stand out in a way that darkroom/lightroom techniques can't really accomplish.

We sometimes forget that it really *is* all about the light. And often that means inclimate weather.