PDA

View Full Version : What is this brass lens "worth"

John NYC
14-Jan-2010, 20:19
As a tangent to my recent Dallmeyer thread, I am wondering what this lens is "worth"?

... the bay number 110479004186

I know it is "worth" what it gets on the market, but given today's conditions what is a reasonable (not *bay jacked up in a fit of frenzy) price? What would this have gone for before the big fad of petzvals started?

I'm trying to learn more about what is reasonable or not.

Thanks.

John

goamules
14-Jan-2010, 20:40
Sure, I'll bite. From a wholesale perspective I'd start around $100 for any petzval.

It's small, unmarked, with some separation. It is certainly a magic lantern lens from 1880-1910. Price goes down. $75

It has the flange, Price goes up. $125

It is posted with clear pictures and an interesting write up. Price goes up. $150 - $250 depending on the bidding competition.

Note I've seen the same type lens, in the same week even, sell for $100 to $600 or more. But it's really a pretty common and small lens. The market has been quite erratic the past few months on these unknown petzvals.

c.d.ewen
14-Jan-2010, 22:43
John:

Prices will be higher, when you know you can trust the seller - Geoffrey Berliner, in this case, from The Center for Alternative Photography (http://www.capworkshops.org/index.html).

He and Eric Taubman give their Antique Lens Seminar.

The two of them have so much brass and glass on their shelves, it's amazing that the buildings don't collapse.

Charley

eddie
15-Jan-2010, 06:08
from that seller you will pay more. he had two Darlots that sold for about $900 each.

if history is any indicator this one will probably go for 450 +/-. "regular" people usually get 300 +/-.

as noted above the prices seem to be fluctuating around.

walter23
15-Jan-2010, 10:19
You the seller or something, trying to get some interest? ;)

As a tangent to my recent Dallmeyer thread, I am wondering what this lens is "worth"?

... the bay number 110479004186

I know it is "worth" what it gets on the market, but given today's conditions what is a reasonable (not *bay jacked up in a fit of frenzy) price? What would this have gone for before the big fad of petzvals started?

I'm trying to learn more about what is reasonable or not.

Thanks.

John

eddie
15-Jan-2010, 11:52

he is not the seller. the seller doe snot need any help...he does very well by himself....i know the seller. a very nice guy. very knowledgeable as well

Hugo Zhang
15-Jan-2010, 12:16
he is not the seller. the seller doe snot need any help...he does very well by himself....i know the seller. a very nice guy. very knowledgeable as well

At least a dozen of Pinkham Smith lenses have passed through his hands, if not still in them. :)

CCHarrison
15-Jan-2010, 14:21
My best guess is $ 281.00

;)

Dan

Steven Tribe
15-Jan-2010, 14:24
When he was buying, he always seemed to outbid me by a comfortable margin. Has impeccable taste for brass.

eddie
15-Jan-2010, 14:32
At least a dozen of Pinkham Smith lenses have passed through his hands, if not still in them. :)

he still has a dozen....i have only seen one...:)

John NYC
15-Jan-2010, 17:45

No, I was a bidder, but dropped out really early. My last bid was 1/3 of the final price. I am trying to learn about these types of lenses without getting "ripped off".

John NYC
15-Jan-2010, 17:48
My best guess is $ 281.00

;)

Dan

Heh, yeah, so it ended up just on the higher side of goamules range of guesses. Pretty good guess considering auctions can go nutso.

I don't think I will pay $281 for something like this as I still have a lot of learning to do with just modern lenses. (And mounting this, etc, seems to be a pain.) So, perhaps I will just save the brass lens stuff for later in my photography.

Frank_E
15-Jan-2010, 18:11
they can be had for a reasonable price if you take some risk
I purchased what looks to be a very similar lens for only $76

when I received the shipment I discovered that it was engraved "Darlot"
it cleaned up nicely, and the glass is in very good shape

this was the listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130347633649&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123#ht_2456wt_1167

goamules
15-Jan-2010, 19:08
Heh, yeah, so it ended up just on the higher side of goamules range of guesses.,.

Actually, I was telling you what it was worth, you'd said disregard what I predicted it sells for! If it sold for a few hundred more, it's still worth (to me, and to a market of averaging) what I'd said.

But I agree, the prices are going up. Someone got a really nice early 1863 Voigtlander (120515615632)for a tad more than I'd have wished. But when you consider it is A) very early and nicely marked, B) with flange, C) made by the first company that started making petzvals, it's a great deal.

Would you pay about $300 for a later, unknown magic lantern lens with separation and no flange, or for a clean, early wetplate lens with flange and a waterhouse stop from the maker Dallmeyer was competing against?!

Just be patient....

Garrett

John NYC
15-Jan-2010, 21:46
Actually, I was telling you what it was worth

Yes, what I was trying to say... but it didn't come out this way... was that it went for within a reasonable distance to what you said it was actually worth.

Thanks to you and others for the responses to this thread, by the way. Very educational for me.