PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Projector

tbirke
13-Jan-2010, 12:54
Hi everyone,

I dream of projecting 8x10 slides onto a white wall at approximately 8 x 10 ft and wonder if there is a device that is capable of doing this, just like a giant slide projector.

How would I have to prepare the slides, put them between Anti-Newton Glass?

I once read about big mural projectors with 10x10 slides, but can not find any reference.

Do you have any ideas what to look for, any search terms for eBay etc.?

Thanks, Thomas.

---
http://www.birke.net

Armin Seeholzer
13-Jan-2010, 13:07
Hi

At the opera in zuerich we had some special light spots with a lens system for to project 5x7 slide as a background picture for a ballet! The slides where burn out after 2 shows or 3 so it was always just a dup!

Cheers Armin

Mike1234
13-Jan-2010, 13:08
Perhaps a Beseler 45 MCRX with the 8x10 adapter and locked into the "90 degree side projection" position using standard enlarging lenses?

Walter Calahan
13-Jan-2010, 13:26
Much easier to scan the 8x10 transparencies and use a digital projector. But then that would ruin all your fun. HA!

Think of the heat cooking your original 8x10!

ic-racer
13-Jan-2010, 13:36
I really don't see this happening without some highly specialized equipment. My 2000W 8x10 enlarger projects just fine on a wall, but it would likely be too dim for general viewing without an audience of light-adapted eyes in the dark. Even then, lamp 'time on' and blower noise would be limiting factors to the enjoyment. I'd just make a print and show it in the daylight :D

Or make a giant transparency and illuminate it from behind (ala Jeff Wall).

Hollywood used to use giant rear-screen projection before digital effects, and rock bands used to use it also. So perhaps these projectors would show up on the surplus market.

Gene McCluney
13-Jan-2010, 13:42
A common everyday overhead projector, used by lecturers who write on a transparent sheet, is perfectly suitable. Just mask off the light down to the outside dimensions of an 8x10 transparency. You could even add a better lens if necessary. You can often get these overhead projectors for free nowadays.

tbirke
13-Jan-2010, 13:48
Thanks for the replies so far,

I do have 6 x 10 ft lambda prints, but that is the absolute maximum for a continuous digital enlargement with a lightjet 500xl and it looks awesome. But it still ain't the same as a decent projection i guess, plus the price for every single one print.

I want that glowing color effect of active light rays AND the resolution - that is also the reason, why digital projection is no option. Compare the tiny 1920 pixel width to the 30.000 pixel that are an 8x10 slide is capable of.

So what about these background projectors for movies, theatres and stages? Any brands / models?

---
http://www.birke.net

George Stewart
13-Jan-2010, 14:41
Beyond 10 feet with a 200 inch projection, one cannot resolve the pixels with the latest digital projectors - hence, no reason to attempt resolving more. I would recommend trying a top end Canon projector with an 8x10-inch derived image and see if you like the results.

ic-racer
13-Jan-2010, 17:43
So what about these background projectors for movies, theatres and stages? Any brands / models?

Kubrick wanted to use an 8x10 transparency for maximum sharpness[for front projection], found there was no projector for it in existence, built his own.

Working in close cooperation with M-G-M Special Effects Supervisor Tom Howard, Kubrick set about building his own super-powerful 8 x 10 projector, with a condenser pack 18 inches thick made up of condensers from standard 8 x 10 enlargers. The most powerful water-cooled arc available was employed as a light source and it was necessary to use slides of heat-resistant glass in front of the condensers in order to prevent the heat from peeling the magenta layer of emulsion right off of the transparency. At least six of the rear condensers cracked because of the heat during the filming, but this was usually due to a draft of cold air hitting the projector when someone opened the door of the sound stage while the projector was operating.

Search on "Front Projection" "Scotchlite" "Kubrick" "2001" for some info on projectors, but the above quote tells alot ;)

Drew Wiley
13-Jan-2010, 18:29
A horizontal color mural enlarger would be it if you could fit it with a relatively high
aperture lens. The downside: the room would get awfully hot, your utility bill will skyrocket, and your treasured 8X10 chromes will fade quickly. But no overhead or digital projector would come close. Better to do it the old lantern slide way,
projecting through three black and white separation negatives with three aligned
projectors.

Jim C.
13-Jan-2010, 19:39
Search on "Front Projection" "Scotchlite" "Kubrick" "2001" for some info on projectors, but the above quote tells alot ;)

I wish I knew who owns that bad boy of a projector that Kubrick had made for the
Dawn of Man sequence.

Sadly 3M no longer manufactures the Scotchlite film, I have a tiny amount that I'm saving
for a special occasion ;) but they do make a fabric ink that's 2 parts
the base adhesive, and the retro reflective beads - # 8010 which I have
not tried. The Scotchlite film was also used by Zoran Persic <sp?> for the flying
effects in Superman as well as the costumes for the Kryptonians.

But none of the above answers the OP's question.
:D

argos33
14-Jan-2010, 10:16
I agree with Gene, there are some very nice (and very bright) overhead projectors out there that can be had for little to no money. It would be easy enough to spruce one up with a nicer lens, brighter bulb, etc. You could experiment with covering it up so there is less light spill. I think no matter what you decide it is going to take a lot of work on your part with some trial and error.

And if you get one working, we are all going to come over to see it!

Frank Petronio
14-Jan-2010, 11:23
What you probably really want is a big backlit transparency (and lightbox) printed from your film.

d.s.
17-Jan-2010, 17:03
A roommate of mine used to use an opaque projector that would work in the over head or opaque mode. It was big! He used it to project images onto blank bill board panels up to 40 feet long and he and others would trace the outline of the image onto the panel. This was done at night because the image was dim at that size. Then later they would paint the image using paint-by-numbers method. The building he did this in had a wall large enough to hang the panels. Then the panels were taken apart and rehung on site where the board was to be.

d.s.

erie patsellis
25-Jan-2010, 12:27
I wish I knew who owns that bad boy of a projector that Kubrick had made for the
Dawn of Man sequence.

Sadly 3M no longer manufactures the Scotchlite film, I have a tiny amount that I'm saving
for a special occasion ;) but they do make a fabric ink that's 2 parts
the base adhesive, and the retro reflective beads - # 8010 which I have
not tried. The Scotchlite film was also used by Zoran Persic <sp?> for the flying
effects in Superman as well as the costumes for the Kryptonians.

But none of the above answers the OP's question.
:D
Jim,
Scotchlite is still made as a retroreflective film for signmaking, widest I've seen is 48". The only bad part is having to buy a 50 yard roll (for multi K$), it's very sensitive to application (a slight pucker while applying will be apparent) and the need to apply to a ridgid substrate. Avery Graphics and several others also make similar products. In fact, I find Avery's highest grade film to be more efficient than 3m's.

erie