PDA

View Full Version : Can Amidol be dissolved in TEA?

Eric Woodbury
12-Jan-2010, 13:46
I tried to dissolve Amidol in TEA (triethanolamine) the other day and the powdery Amidol turned into a rock. I heated it some, maybe 120F, but it stayed a rock. Will it dissolve at higher temps? Will it stay in solution when it cools?

Will Amidol stay in solution with propylene glycol? Could this then be mixed with TEA? I don't have any propylene glycol, but should this work, is this anti-freeze or should I order it special?

Thanks.

Robert Hughes
12-Jan-2010, 14:50
Just out of curiosity, why? Are you doing print development inside your car's radiator?

Drew Wiley
12-Jan-2010, 15:06
Antifreeze often contains PEG or somthing similar, but so does Chinese toothpaste,
and who knows whatever other things are in there. I'd order the real deal from someone like Photog Formulary. But I can't imagine what you're up to. Amidol oxidizes
rather quickly except in the presence of citric acid. It dissolves easily in water if it's
fresh. Are you trying to use this as a film developer and trying to make it flow more
evenly?

Eric Woodbury
12-Jan-2010, 15:11
Robert, I'm developing a new radiator.

stephenhunter57
12-Jan-2010, 15:29
can anyone tell me how to start a thread, i cant find the "post new thread" button !!!!

Drew Wiley
12-Jan-2010, 17:21
I can't figure what you're trying to do, but if it's cooking up some super secret developer for drums, you're probably going about this backwards. Amidol is generally
that last ingredient that goes in. You dissolve it mainly in water. PEG or Trieth are
used in very small quantities. And in any event, amidol is relatively unpredictable for
film, since very small differences in quality, age, or concentration will have strong
effects on film. More manageable for paper development. But you might come up with
an effective patent for ground squirrel poison!

John Bowen
12-Jan-2010, 17:34
Eric,

You aren't gonna sew this in your underwear are you?

Eric Woodbury
12-Jan-2010, 17:58
What underwear?

I'm glad everybody is taking this so seriously.

Greg Blank
12-Jan-2010, 18:03
<Chuckle- If we didn't have squirrels the world would have quite a few more nuts >

I had pretty good luck at one point doing Amidol two bath development with film. Very high accuatence and the two bath managed to keep the high lights prinatble. I have never liked the idea of having need for much Amidol in my darkroom though....I read some have suspected Weston's Parkensons was brought on by dipping his fingers in it continously.

I can't figure what you're trying to do, but if it's cooking up some super secret developer for drums, you're probably going about this backwards. Amidol is generally
that last ingredient that goes in. You dissolve it mainly in water. PEG or Trieth are
used in very small quantities. And in any event, amidol is relatively unpredictable for
film, since very small differences in quality, age, or concentration will have strong
effects on film. More manageable for paper development. But you might come up with
an effective patent for ground squirrel poison!

John Bowen
12-Jan-2010, 18:07
Eric,

I work with Amidol all the time, but I have only mixed it with H20. The English stuff I get from Artcraft disolves completely, while the Chinese stuff needs to have the "sludge" filtered out.

As others have asked, what are you trying to do?

I have some Propylene Glycol and can test to see if it disolves, but it may be a week or two before I can get to it.