PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Party @ eddie's!

eddie
12-Jan-2010, 13:42
hey everyone,

we are having a get together at my house on Jan 23, 2010. all are welcome.

we plan to shoot wet plate collodion and large format cameras. i hope to have my studio/garage up and running by then....if nothing else it may not be pretty but we will be able to use some strobes for sure.

i will show some basic wet plate procedures and make some plates. everyone* can give it ago. other than that there is plenty of local shooting to do. bring your cameras and your film holders. i have some studio cameras you can play with as well.

BBQ food for the hungry. BYOB.

come, shoot, hangout, talk, and PLEASE BRING SOME PHOTOS TO SHOW!

post here or send me a PM or email and we will get a list going. i am off the grid so you will need the secret map and the secret hand shake to get here!

who knows, maybe it will drag on into sunday as well.

i will get some "model" (read my friends) to sit for us as well.

eddie

unkgowa
12-Jan-2010, 13:54
That is one cool idea.. Shame I don't live anywhere near NY..

csant
12-Jan-2010, 16:52
Eddie, you live on the wrong side of the world, would have loved to be there. Wish you a lot of fun :)

ajbirdboy
12-Jan-2010, 16:55
Hey,
Its one of those rare day's; I don't have anything on the calendar yet, so... I'm in!
Al

fuegocito
12-Jan-2010, 19:20
Alright, I'll be there for sure...

Rob

eddie
12-Jan-2010, 19:28
Eddie, you live on the wrong side of the world, would have loved to be there. Wish you a lot of fun :)

MOVE!

Hey,
Its one of those rare day's; I don't have anything on the calendar yet, so... I'm in!
Al

holy sh!t! about time.

Alright, I'll be there for sure...

Rob

you better be here....it was your idea....it was to be super bowl weekend but i have no TV! i killed it years ago.

eddie
13-Jan-2010, 10:13
so far so good. we have about 8 or 9 people coming already...should be great.

Frank Petronio
13-Jan-2010, 10:17
I may even make an appearance, even though I only use TXP ;-)

eddie
13-Jan-2010, 11:17
oh baby...frank is coming....maybe he will bring some models....eh frank?!?! wadda ya say?

bvstaples
13-Jan-2010, 12:52
Sounds like fun...let's see...if I start driving NOW I might be able to make it...

Alex Wei
13-Jan-2010, 13:07
I'm in and will bring some meat :)

Bill_1856
13-Jan-2010, 13:18
What ISO do you use for Bar-BQ emulsion on glass plates?

eddie
13-Jan-2010, 13:20
Sounds like fun...let's see...if I start driving NOW I might be able to make it...

better get moving!

I'm in and will bring some meat :)

you should not refer to your models that way alex!

What ISO do you use for Bar-BQ emulsion on glass plates?

i use ISO 350 (degrees) in it!

eddie

eddie
13-Jan-2010, 18:28
oh baby! looks like we have two belly dancers with costumes showing up.....should be a hoot.

jaimeb82
14-Jan-2010, 12:29
belly dancers? I am looking at my agenda to see if I can make it. (Agenda=wife)

eddie
14-Jan-2010, 12:43
belly dancers? I am looking at my agenda to see if I can make it. (Agenda=wife)

bring her too......(if you want to...) )

eddie
14-Jan-2010, 14:02
this has prompted me to be sure i have all the lenses on lens boards.

done!

we should be ready to shoot some different formulas.....

i have an iris clamp on a 6x6 and a 9x9 board so bring those barrel lenses that you do not have flanges for and we will shoot them.

eddie

iamjanco
14-Jan-2010, 15:35
Well, if Frank's not joking and he's making the trip from Rochester, I guess I can drive the 225 miles or so. I'll bring my toys, as well as some meat and potato salad--should stay cold in the back of the truck given current weather conditions.

What do you guys prefer? There's moose, deer, raccoon and squirrel. I'm outta fox (but Frank's bringing some of that with him, isn't he?).

Jan C.

sgelb
14-Jan-2010, 15:46
damn im gonna miss the squirrel steaks!?!?!?

eddie
14-Jan-2010, 16:37
damn im gonna miss the squirrel steaks!?!?!?

off the grid here you can even shoot them yourself......plenty of fresh critters. :D

we have a rafter of turkeys that stroll through for the buffet about 8 am and 3 pm. good stuff.

eddie

eddie
16-Jan-2010, 05:13
hey all,

the belly dancers will arrive at 11-1. do not be late! if we could give then some scans they would really appreciate it....we can do that right....?!

should be 18+ people coming.

eddie

eddie
16-Jan-2010, 07:31
a great time to pick up my 8x10 enlarger i am selling...here. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57292&highlight=8x10)

i just moved it out so i can paint the walls and ceiling....

fuegocito
16-Jan-2010, 07:43
wow, 18+, it's gonna be a party!!!! love it.

So is the belly dancing happening in the "studio/garage"?

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2010, 07:54
Shannon can't come but I've got 4-5 others on the hook. So that means one or two might come ;-p If I can get Meagan you may have to lock up your valuables and hire a Constable to keep her from drinking up your liquor cabinet, but the photos will be worth it.

Speaking of which, can we shoot guns too?

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2010, 07:55
Maybe a bonfire or torching a car would make a good wet plate subject? Does fire put out the right kind of light?

eddie
16-Jan-2010, 08:49
Shannon can't come but I've got 4-5 others on the hook. So that means one or two might come ;-p If I can get Meagan you may have to lock up your valuables and hire a Constable to keep her from drinking up your liquor cabinet, but the photos will be worth it.

Maybe a bonfire or torching a car would make a good wet plate subject? Does fire put out the right kind of light?

holy sh!t! i can barely type from the laughter. sounds like a hoot. sure guns are fine...us hicks love guns....:)

i am sure we can make the light of the fire work for WPC....i only worry that my house may become the light source!

let petronio in and it becomes a serious party....:)

eddie

fuegocito
16-Jan-2010, 11:16
holy sh!t! i can barely type from the laughter. sounds like a hoot. sure guns are fine...us hicks love guns....

let petronio in and it becomes a serious party....:)

eddie

No doubt, never realized Frank is so Clark Kent, mild manner in person...and this is what he can be in the presence of film/wetplate mix with fire/gun powder:D

jaimeb82
16-Jan-2010, 13:01
now I am in but I am kind of afraid of that Meagan

kissssss
16-Jan-2010, 13:53
Uh oh...:( I live on wrong side...wait for your fun

Flauvius
16-Jan-2010, 17:52
Eddie:

Is your "Galla" contingent on the weather? Do you have strobes, or should we bring our own to shoot in your garage?

How long of a drive is it from your "Estate" to Kingston?

Flauvius

Frank Petronio
16-Jan-2010, 17:53
Meagan's out on bail, she is on good behavior.

ric_kb
16-Jan-2010, 17:54
N...in person...and this is what he can be in the presence of film/wetplate mix with fire/gun powder:D

cooking is about knives and fire, perhaps photographers have always wanted photography to be about aiming and firing. [this is not meant to be taken as truth, think of it as a Holga image on itek paper]

eddie
16-Jan-2010, 20:00
whoa whoa whoa! studio! not garage! sheese. :)

yes, my studio has strobes. oldies but goodies.

and meagan is on good behaviour.....darn! sounds like no fun anymore....!

eddie
17-Jan-2010, 08:55
okay kiddies. it looks to be shaping up very well....turn out will be better than expected. i will be up early in the morning. come when ever you can. photographers hours. no end time planned......

food: so far we have a pretty good menu. looks like steaks, ribs, hamburgers and dogs, salads, chips and BEER and wine . if you would like to bring something let me know. no obligations.

toys: i have several studio cameras all ready to go with different lenses and lens formulas. maybe even get an 11x14 in the mix. bring your "small" cameras and tripods as well. a camera collector friend of mine is bringing some out of the ordinary lenses to play with as well. i have plenty of sync cords to link up various lenses and shutters to the old strobe system i have. out side shooting is availablel.

please bring any camera or lens you may want to shoot. i have an iris clamp so bring any old brass lens you have never tried before. another friend has some SLR 4x5 and 5x7 cameras to play with as well.

we will shoot some wet plate outside. 11-2 or so.....then if you want to keep shooting WP that is fine. 2 or 3 experienced wet plate guys will be shooting so there will be plenty to see and shoot. a bit of "this is wet plate and how it works" will happen about 11 am or so. we will try and blacken as many finger tips as possible.

"models" will be here 11-1 or so....they may stay if they are having a good time. plenty of props as well. bring any costumes or props you may have. if any one has a head rest please bring it. bring your film holders loaded for heavy shooting.

please bring some photos to show as well. anything is fine. it is all fun. i will be showing some of my worst stuff so do not feel intimidated (dust, scratches, bad development, bad exposures etc etc) ....it is all for fun and learning.

plenty of tables and chairs for those that want to sit, relax and shoot the shit. with in 15 min. drive there are stone houses from the 1600s, waterfalls, rivers, bridges, trains and trolley yards, etc etc. we got it all. come say hello, go shooting and come back for the lies and tales.

the studio has fresh paint as of yesterday. setting it up and tuningthe cameras and lighting today.

this is going to be great.

eddie

EDIT: i was just in "town" getting milk when i saw the resident mature bald eagle..... maybe if we are luck he will show on sat.

Louis Pacilla
17-Jan-2010, 09:32
Hi Bro

Count me in. :)

Coming from Western PA. Anyone in the area make contact if you want to car pool or caravan .

I may leave a day early though &

I plan to load the truck up w/ a bunch of Packard mounted lenses. Some real gems.:D Come on to brother Eds & try a few out.

Peace
Louie P
724-225-9225 Leave message if I don't answer.I will call you back.

Flauvius
17-Jan-2010, 11:42
Eddie:

Would you suggest that those of us who are driving on I-87 from Manhattan stay in New Pflaz or Kingston?

Flauvius

DanJones
17-Jan-2010, 13:01
Eddie...
for those of us that can't make it...could you shoot some pix of the gathering so we can see what we missed?

eddie
17-Jan-2010, 14:38
Eddie...
for those of us that can't make it...could you shoot some pix of the gathering so we can see what we missed?

i sure will.....well those that are fit for LF forums...with petronio and crew coming who knows what bounds will be crossed...:eek: har har har!

hotels: new paltz (7 miles south ) or kingston (9 miles north) from here. . either one.

Frank Petronio
17-Jan-2010, 15:39
OK I have three and possibly four of my model friends coming, two from NYC and two coming with me. Since we're driving from Rochester don't expect us before 12:30 or so, and we'll have to split early evening. Meagan is the only semi-famous one.

It would be nice to give them scans or perhaps a test print, some art for their portfolios. I told them you are all great fine artists and very professional ;-)

eddie
18-Jan-2010, 09:47
things are shaping up. frank will be bringing 1-4 models....if all goes well. they will be keeping their clothes on so take it easy boys! so it looks like we will have 3-7 models for our shooting pleasure.

i just got a call from my good friend Mike from art craft chemicals. looks like he is coming to play as well.

eddie

Frank Petronio
18-Jan-2010, 20:51
Meagan will get naked if she gets to keep the plate.

So will I.

eddie
18-Jan-2010, 23:00
So will I.

he he he! now now! lets not get carried away! i am not sure i can sleep now after that picture in my head.

we may have to keep you away form the beer if you are talking like that already....:)

Flauvius
19-Jan-2010, 04:23
Eddie:

What is your address of your studio?

Flauvius

Flauvius
19-Jan-2010, 04:23
Eddie:

What is the address of your studio?

Flauvius

jaimeb82
19-Jan-2010, 05:51
I am driving from NYC if someone needs a ride up. Naked models are welcome in my car!

MIke Sherck
19-Jan-2010, 07:59
This looks like sooo much fun. It's only 730 miles and a 12 hour drive... You just had to schedule this on a weekend I'm already committed, didn't you? :(

Yeah. I seriously considered driving out. Maybe next time!

Mike

Frank Petronio
20-Jan-2010, 17:39
OK bad news on my end, my lovely wife killed a deer with her Volvo tonight, the humans are ok but the uber car is getting worked on and I have to sacrifice my car to the cause this weekend.

So I ain't coming ;-/ and obviously I'm not bringing anyone along.

The other two models -- Meagan is in NYC and Anna Catherine is a local -- are still coming as far as I know but they are independent of me but pretty reliable when it comes to modeling.

Sorry guys. Come see me and visit the Eastman House sometime.

Joe Smigiel
20-Jan-2010, 19:52
This looks like sooo much fun. It's only 730 miles and a 12 hour drive... You just had to schedule this on a weekend I'm already committed, didn't you? :(

Yeah. I seriously considered driving out. Maybe next time!

Mike

I can't get away either this time but maybe we can carpool when it comes around again.

jaimeb82
21-Jan-2010, 05:57
Meagan will get naked if she gets to keep the plate.

So will I.

I will get naked with Meagan if I get to keep the plate as well.

eddie
21-Jan-2010, 11:42
I will get naked with Meagan if I get to keep the plate as well.

WOW! and this is all pre-beer! imagine what will go down once people start drinking!

ok ok ok! i lashed out and picked up a 1/4 keg of my favorite IPA beer. a locally brewed ale from keegan ales. "hurricane kitty" simply the best IPA "you" will ever drink! better have a taste for hops!

hanging my back drop today. studio is finished. pictures to follow. now i need to mix/test all my chemicals to be sure everything will flow perfectly.

show up at 10AM if you want to see the wet plate demo and have a try at it. models show at 11.

eddie

c.d.ewen
21-Jan-2010, 15:41
Eddie:

Well, I put the old, lame horse out of its' misery and bought a new car. Guess I'll be able to show up for the party.

I'll bring along the No 10 Cirkut for everyone to ogle at. It's just back from Ron Klein's rehab center, and this is a good excuse to give it a test. I'll have to study up again on how to select lens/gear combos. It's been 2 years since I fired it.

What time are you serving the Goong Ten?

Charley

eddie
21-Jan-2010, 16:26
wet plate demo starts at 10 am. models will begin to arrive at 11. wet plate is best till about 2:30-3pm. after that it is back inside with strobes or just huddle around the BBQ/keg. inside studio is up and running now.

i still need one more day to set it all up....ready or not.....

eddie

fuegocito
21-Jan-2010, 19:01
The studio looks very different with out the giant enlarger and the giant processor in it:-)

I'll be bringing some mystery meat for the grill and some sweets...and booze of course

Can't wait

Rob

eddie
22-Jan-2010, 19:21
"they are here....!", poltergeist voice

let the games begin......

Brian Ellis
23-Jan-2010, 09:54
"they are here....!", poltergeist voice

let the games begin......

Where are the models?

SamReeves
23-Jan-2010, 14:37
That is one hell of a studio camera. Post some pics of this party! :D

eddie
23-Jan-2010, 17:53
Where are the models?

what?!?!? yo u do not see thwm?!?!? har har har!

eddie
24-Jan-2010, 06:00
okay kids. i have a bit of a hang over....a couple of quick digital snaps of everyone having fun.

a big thanks to everyone who showed up! thanks to the models for their time. Meagan, Lauren, and Barb.

the models can be seen here (http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=952716). no lf yet.

a general overview here. (http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=952715)

a great day for sure. we shot a fair amount of wet plate as well. Thanks to David who, on his 1st day shooting wet plate collodion, picked it up and ran with it! great job David. thanks for shooting it all.

i hope in the next couple of days people will post their LF scans. please check back again. the photo below is LF right? :)

eddie

c.d.ewen
24-Jan-2010, 06:24
okay kids. i have a bit of a hang over....a couple of quick digital snaps of everyone having fun.
eddie

Some had more fun than others. When I got there, I realized I had your work address, not your home address....and no phone number. Emailed you, asked around, drove around, hoping to recognize your driveway - no luck. Sorry to disappoint.

Charley

eddie
24-Jan-2010, 06:36
Some had more fun than others. When I got there, I realized I had your work address, not your home address....and no phone number. Emailed you, asked around, drove around, hoping to recognize your driveway - no luck. Sorry to disappoint.

Charley

too bad we missed you. i got t he e mail at 4 pm! next time go to the library and check the internet!

how is the new car?

eddie

frank hoerauf
24-Jan-2010, 08:48
oh man I wish I could have been there!! looks like you guys had a great day,post some of those wetplate images, they look really good, you really got lucky with the weather. glad to see eddie kept his clothes on, thats one nude model the world just isnt ready for yet

jaimeb82
24-Jan-2010, 15:40
I had a great time, eddie deserves a 10 for organizing this. Meagan and Stacy rule! Cheers to all.

jaime

Pete Roody
24-Jan-2010, 16:08
perfect day. we had a blast. the party ended very late. most of us ended crashing at eddies. meagan and stacy were still going strong when i crashed at 3 am. thanks again eddie!

Songyun
24-Jan-2010, 18:27
I had a great time, eddie deserves a 10 for organizing this. Meagan and Stacy rule! Cheers to all.

jaime

I would vote a 12 out 10 for the party. I hope to see you guys again in the Spring time. Eddie you rock!

Andrew ren
25-Jan-2010, 05:57
looks like a lot of fun!

Show us some work then!

OK bad news on my end, my lovely wife killed a deer with her Volvo tonight, the humans are ok ...

Frank, sorry to hear this. but I did the same thing on my volvo too around 3 years ago.
you do realize that we are driving a tank, don't you?

Andrew

Alex Wei
25-Jan-2010, 13:38
looks like a lot of fun!

Show us some work then!

Andrew

Got be patient Andrew. Most of the people got wasted pretty much, I don't think they have the ability to do any developing yet :)

Thanks Eddie, the party was awesome.

Alex W.

eddie
25-Jan-2010, 15:52
thanks to all that showed....you guys/gals made it!

all are WPC on black aluminum. 5x7. all were shot with a cooke f4.5 at 5.6 except the photo of louis bellow.

more photos here. (http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=952958)

bellow photo is an 18 inch plastigmat f5.6 at f11.

eddie

gbogatko
26-Jan-2010, 17:01
Saharaja:

#1 Wolly Velo 12 with diffuser at 1
#2 Wolly Verito
#3 Wolly Verito

All with Xray film.

George

gbogatko
26-Jan-2010, 17:03
Staci & Meagan

#1 Schneider 12 - Ilford 125 4x5
#2 Verito 14.5 - Xray
#3 Heliar 12 - Xray

rguinter
26-Jan-2010, 19:07

Can I bring my cannon?

David M. Woods
27-Jan-2010, 11:56
Hey everyone. This is my first post on these boards, I just wanted to come and say hi to everyone I meet last weekend. I'm the one with the moustache haha. This was so much fun! Thanks to Eddie and the models and everyone that came out.

jaimeb82
27-Jan-2010, 13:47
taken with 35mm

Songyun
27-Jan-2010, 14:12
I have my negs developed. Here is a photo of Bill and his daughter Sarah, shot with razzle (my darkslides got pulled, so this is a crop of the original neg)

jaimeb82
27-Jan-2010, 14:56
Meagan Sample

Pete Roody
28-Jan-2010, 06:47
Staci & Meagan

#1 Schneider 12 - Ilford 125 4x5
#2 Verito 14.5 - Xray
#3 Heliar 12 - Xray

George,

i really like #2. meagans eyes glow!

jaimeb82
28-Jan-2010, 10:24
35mm Tri-X400

gbogatko
28-Jan-2010, 17:09
Two more:

#1 Voigtlander brass cannon, about 10" at about f/11, efke 25. Focus: Vertical and lateral shift at zero. Subject zero'd in on the eyes dead center in the frame, then the frame shifted up and to the right. The desired effect was that the eyes would be in focus, but everything fall off from there, down and to the left.

Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't

#2 Schneider, quick focus at f/16, ilford 400. Meagan was shooting at the time, and I was taking 'snaps,' so the focus and frame was by guess and by golly. Still, it came out OK???

gb

gbogatko
28-Jan-2010, 17:12
and now .... two more!

#1 same Voigtlander, efke 25, unchanged focus, I just sat down. Reallllllllyyyyy!!! ugly subject. George Washington in heat.
#2 Schneider -- same by guess and by golly.

gbogatko
28-Jan-2010, 19:07
George,

i really like #2. meagans eyes glow!

The magic of: a) the lens, and b) the subject!!

eddie
28-Jan-2010, 19:52
damn george! no wonder i could not get any shooting in....you were hogging the floor!

great stuff for sure...what? pete can not keep his eyes open?

and hold on a minute......you can not shoot a brass canon at f11....there are laws against that!

love it all. nice work.

eddie

Kirk Gittings
28-Jan-2010, 19:54
You should put some names with these mugshots.

eddie
28-Jan-2010, 20:03
You should put some names with these mugshots.

ha! why did not we think of that? you are right.

post # 67. louis P
#76 eddie and ken. peter roody and alex wei. david woods.
#77 robert AKA "Flavious" and AJBirdboy (allen)
# 78 george himself. Pete Roody. songyu.

more to come.

eddie

Songyun
28-Jan-2010, 21:07
Treasure hunt @ eddie's land... (Sunday morning hangover)

Pete Roody
29-Jan-2010, 07:00

This cave is actually on eddies property!

eddie
29-Jan-2010, 10:38

This cave is actually on eddies property!

damn! they discovered the lens mine......

gbogatko
29-Jan-2010, 17:10
#1 - Meagan is shy.
#2 - St. Joan
#3 - Moe Moe

gbogatko
29-Jan-2010, 18:23
OMG!! I should have gone with you, just to see it first hand!!

gbogatko
29-Jan-2010, 18:32
Meagan Sample

That is very elegant indeed. Classic.

ajbirdboy
2-Feb-2010, 12:56
Hi all,
I didn't want to be left out of the postings, so better late than not at all. I had a great time at the party; met some pretty cool people, ate some good BBQ, looked at some great stuff (a great '69 AMX, a wonderful assortment of cameras, some more pretty cool people, more good food, {Thank you, Thandar.}, and the very talented models). I learned a lot, too, and was surprised by some unexpected but very needed (by me) insights (Thank you, George). I shot a lot of film, but like I said, I learned a lot, so maybe next time I'll have more to show for my efforts. All in all it was a really nice gathering of some very nice and talented folks. I'm looking forward to more of this...
Thanks , Eddie.
Al

eddie
16-Apr-2010, 03:39
he all,

i just talked with the models. if you have not sent any prints or scan please do so. they donated their time...and it was COLD! remember.

cheers

eddie