PDA

View Full Version : New guy question about instant film

Mike Anderson
11-Jan-2010, 20:33
Hi,

I'm brand new to LF, my camera (Calumet CC-402 4x5) hasn't even arrived yet. I want to start learning LF with instant film. Browsing around these forums, it seems like the only instant 4x5 film option now is from Fuji and requires a Fuji PA-45 holder. Is this true? Is there any other way to use instant film in this camera?

Another question: if anyone's familiar with that camera (also called a Calumet Wide Field Camera, I think), will that Fuji PA-45 work with it?

edit add: The camera is coming with a Polaroid 545 holder.

Thanks for any help.

...Mike

Dave Grenet
11-Jan-2010, 21:51
A Polaroid 550 holder works as well. Or a Polaroid 405 and use the 3x4 instant film...

Be careful, as your camera may or may not be able to accept such thick holders depending on whether it has the longer springs fitted to the back. If it only has the shorter ones, Calumet might still have spares they can send you of the longer ones...

Gordon Moat
11-Jan-2010, 21:56
Polaroid 405 holder, which you can often find used, and works with smaller Fuji Instant pack films. Polaroid 550 pack film holder is the larger size, and will work with Fuji Instant FP100C45. Note that the 45 after the name of the film denotes the slightly larger film pack.

Fuji make instant film holders that are basically copies of the older Polaroid holders. If you can find either Polaroid holder used, it would be much less than purchasing a new Fuji pack film holder. The larger holder for the larger 45 films is much thicker, and very tough to slide under the ground glass on a camera, and usually requires a camera on which the ground glass holder can be easily and quickly removed without tools. The smaller Fuji pack film holder, and the Polaroid 405, can often fit under the ground glass, just be careful when first attempting that.

I highly suggest searching this forum for answers about pack films. Quite often first time instant film users load their film packs incorrectly, and quickly ruin a pack of film. Check through some of the discussions of this past year, while searching for Fuji Instant. Best of luck.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

ljsegil
12-Jan-2010, 05:11
The Instant Fujifilm is good high quality stuff and the smaller sizes are a cost bargain compared to the full (not really quite) 4x5 format, with only a very small penalty in image size and none in quality for the smaller sized format. The Fuji film holders for the two sizes are specific for their intended sizes and cannot be interchanged. AFAIK(R), the Polaroid 545 holder you are getting is intended for single sheet Polaroid film, long gone from new retail, and will not hold either of the Fuji pack film sizes, but don't take my word as gospel on this fact(oid).
I agree that this is a great way to learn and gain shooting experience, and with the smaller Fuji size film, quite economical (~$1 shot vs ~$3 shot with the "45" size). The detail in both color and B&W Fuji film, including even the ISO 3000 B&W film, is very good, without much apparent grain even at ISO 3000, and IMHO the color rendering of the Fuji is excellent by instant film standards of any era/manufacturer.
Good luck and have fun,
Larry

Mike Anderson
12-Jan-2010, 11:11
Thanks for the responses everyone. Starting with the smaller 3x4 instant film size seems like a good idea, so I guess I need to get a Polaroid 405 holder or a Fuji PA-145 and hope they fit in this:

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/13981/cal-wide-back.jpg

Those holders are not too common, but I'm watching some on the auction site. I'm surprised I can't find a PA-145 new - I guess Fuji would rather steer me into the full 4x5 film path, which I might do if I know it will fit. Can anyone tell how thick a PA-45 is (I read somewhere it's a little thinner than a Polaroid 550)?

Again, thanks for the advice.

...Mike

john biskupski
12-Jan-2010, 12:29
The PA-45 I have is just over 1" thick (27mm), ie the part you push between the camera and the spring back.

Echoing one of the posts above, it's a really tight fit on my Canham 4x5, and earlier I had managed to snap one bail arm on my Horseman 45 FA trying to slide/shove it in.

But you have a good approach, I did the same, learning LF composure technique with the small format, more economic, instant film. Good luck.

bvstaples
12-Jan-2010, 13:18
Mike:

You might look at KEH.com to see if they have any used ones; also B&H and Adorama both have used departments. In San Diego, you could call Camera Exposure up on Adams Avenue (619-640-5300). They sometimes have oddball LF equipment for sale.

Brian

Mike Anderson
12-Jan-2010, 13:29
Well I just ordered a used Fuji PA-145 from japanexposures.com. According to their website it's "slightly shallower" than the Polaroid 404. Cost ¥12,400 ($139) EMS shipping (whatever that is) and insured. My first order from Japan - already LF is introducing me to new experiences :). Hope it fits.

My new adventure is going to start soon, but first the hard part: waiting.

Thanks all,

...Mike

Mike Anderson
12-Jan-2010, 13:43
Mike:

You might look at KEH.com to see if they have any used ones; also B&H and Adorama both have used departments. In San Diego, you could call Camera Exposure up on Adams Avenue (619-640-5300). They sometimes have oddball LF equipment for sale.

Brian

I forgot about KEH! I already ordered a PA-145 from Japan. Oh well, just took a look through KEH and they had neither a 404 or a PA-145, so I don't feel so bad. I've been scouring the web all morning and both those 3x4 pack holders seem surprisingly rare.

Never heard of Camera Exposure, I'm going to have to check them out (could be dangerou$).

Thanks for the tip.

...Mike

Gordon Moat
12-Jan-2010, 14:36
I'm not so sure Camera Exposure has much anymore. In the past it was a great place to go. The only consignment/used place I know of now is Nelson's Photo in Little Italy, though sometimes George's Camera on 30th and University has some items. Regardless, a Polaroid 405 holder is somewhat rare.

Mike Anderson
21-Jan-2010, 11:49
The PA-145 came today. So that's 9 days from Japan, not bad. It looks in pretty good shape. Added bonus: 2 Japanese post cards were in the box. And the holder does fit in the camera, although it's tight.

...Mike

Well I just ordered a used Fuji PA-145 from japanexposures.com. According to their website it's "slightly shallower" than the Polaroid 404. Cost ¥12,400 ($139) EMS shipping (whatever that is) and insured. My first order from Japan - already LF is introducing me to new experiences :). Hope it fits.

My new adventure is going to start soon, but first the hard part: waiting.

Thanks all,

...Mike