PDA

View Full Version : lens coating defects

natek83
11-Jan-2010, 11:19
I just got 2 lenses in the mail. They are a 90mm nikkor sw f8 and a 300mm nikkor m f9. I inspected them and there appears to be a small spot on each where the green layer of the coating is gone but the purple remains. I'd just like some opinions of what to do. The seller described them as mint and said there wasn't a spot on them so I can probably get a refund but I'm wondering if I'll end up with the same issue on another sample. Do you think I got sold a couple of rejects? I've never seen spots on the coatings of my 35mm Nikon lenses so this seems a little strange to get 2 lenses from the same guy both with coating problems. Should I just not worry about it because it won't make a difference in any photos I take?

Robert Hughes
11-Jan-2010, 11:37
Just spray the lens with WD-40 and let it dry in the sun. That's what all the professionals do, right? :rolleyes:

(PS - not really)

Gem Singer
11-Jan-2010, 12:05
Your description of the lens coatings sounds well within normal limits to me.

If you want a lens that will stand up under microscopic examination, purchase a brand new one from a reputable dealer who will gladly refund your money if you are not satisfied.

Steve Goldstein
11-Jan-2010, 12:19
There are several angles to consider.

From an image-making point of view, a couple of tiny spots won't make any difference. I did some experiments recently comparing a scratched, hazy, fungus-y lens with an identical copy in very good shape (not mint, but clean and clear). My findings are posted here:http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57529. I found surprisingly little impact from significant defects.

The marks could be the result of poor cleaning technique. Many lens-cleaning fluids will leave colored streaks or spots if you use too much. I've had lenses and filters with marks and streaks that came off after careful cleaning with Pancro cleaner (available from Filmtools) and Rosco lens tissue. The emphasis here is on the word careful. Not all tissues are created equal, I figure if Rosco is good enough for the film industry, where lenses can cost 5 digits, it's good enough for me. I frequently had trouble with streaking when I used Kodak lens cleaning fluid because I often ended up with too much on the tissue. Pancro comes in a little atomizer bottle so I can control how much I get on the tissue simply by holding it further away from the bottle. Pancro is not perfect, too much will leave streaks, but I find it easier to control. I'm sure there are other products that are equally good.

If you want to discuss this with the seller, do it sooner rather than later. Do keep in mind Eugene's comment - what you've got is not terribly unusual and is eminently usable. On the other hand, if he/she specifically said spotless and the flaws are immediately visible, it might be worth following up on, especially if you feel you paid "spotless" prices.

The lenses you're talking about are no longer being manufactured, but are not in short supply. If you truly want spotless, you'll be able to find it.

Drew Wiley
11-Jan-2010, 12:20
Even brand new lenses often have tiny interruptions in a particular coating layer, if one
looks closely enough. Just depends how big they are, but generally there will be no
effect on the film itself. Scratches and dings are a different subject.

natek83
11-Jan-2010, 12:39
I paid right 360 for the 90mm which is about market price and 450 for the 300mm which is a little less than the 500 I saw one other sold at. I do consider that spotless prices if its stated so. I'm not concerned with the spots affecting my pictures. The problem for me is if I ever tried to sell these I would feel obligated to state the actual condition and not to lie about it. The same thing happened when I bought a replacement screen for my laptop. THe seller stated "it works" but it had a whole row of dead pixels and I could care less it still functions fine for me but I want to sell the laptop now and my conscience tells me I need to be honest. And the fact whoever I sell it to won't think twice about giving me negative feedback.

Gem Singer
11-Jan-2010, 13:52
Those are darn good prices for two of the most sought after Nikkor lenses.

Check the prices of the few new ones that B&H still has in stock.

Even if they were rated at 8+ or 9 condition, you got a good deal.

Stop worrying about those tiny little coating blemishes. They are not serious defects.

Just take those lenses out an use them. They are great lenses.

Lachlan 717
11-Jan-2010, 13:53
I paid right 360 for the 90mm which is about market price and 450 for the 300mm which is a little less than the 500 I saw one other sold at. I do consider that spotless prices if its stated so. I'm not concerned with the spots affecting my pictures. The problem for me is if I ever tried to sell these I would feel obligated to state the actual condition and not to lie about it. The same thing happened when I bought a replacement screen for my laptop. THe seller stated "it works" but it had a whole row of dead pixels and I could care less it still functions fine for me but I want to sell the laptop now and my conscience tells me I need to be honest. And the fact whoever I sell it to won't think twice about giving me negative feedback.

Did you buy the lenses to resell or to use?

I figure the latter, so I would suggest getting out and using them, rather than lamenting this.

You have 2 great lenses (esp. the Nikkor), so don't sweat it!

Glenn Thoreson
11-Jan-2010, 14:28
It's very possible that the spots will clean off. I get those kind of things on lenses regularly. Possibly a little oil from a finger or something. Even a sneeze will do it. Try carefully cleaning them and see if it helps. A coating spot will not have any effect on the performance. It has to be pretty bad for that to happen. If you look through the lens from the back, you may not see the spots at all. I have a 35mm Pro Tessar that is separated. It has an oil slick look about 1/3 the diameter, all the way around. It can't be seen from the back and it performs perfectly. That one is my worst example that I have no complaint about. Enjoy your new lenses. :D

eddie
11-Jan-2010, 14:47
this is why i never ever ever call anything "mint" i would say new..and if it was a new item i still would not call it "mint" by doing so you open yourself up to issues. nothing is mint. nothing is perfect. flaws can always be found. i can find a blemish on a new lens, car, or gun.

any flaw only affects the price. so if you want "flawless" then return it. if you feel that you paid market value for a "mint" lens and it was not "mint" then return it.

as others have said, you may find it very difficult to get a mint lens without 1st holding it in your hand. let us know what finally happens.

eddie

archer
12-Jan-2010, 00:33
Dear natek83;
To clean the lens surface carefully, roll the lens tissue into a cigarette shape then, TEAR do not cut the tissue across the middle to end up with two short butts, then rinse your mouth with vodka and spit it out, then breathe onto the lens to deposit an alcohol vapor and in small light circular motions, starting from the middle to the edge, using the torn surface of the lens tissue, lightly clean the lens surface. Repeat as necessary.
Denise Libby

natek83
12-Jan-2010, 06:04
I e-mailed the seller and was very polite and he offered me a partial refund of $50 so I will be keeping them. It really helps in these situations to be very courteous and not lose your cool.

The spots definitely aren't going to come off from cleaning. They really are hard to spot though. I can only see them if the reflection of a light hits them just right or I use my breath to fog the glass.

Gem Singer
12-Jan-2010, 06:06
Denise,

I think I'll try your method next time i clean my lenses.

However, it seems wasteful to spit the vodka out after rinsing.

Will the method work if I swallow the vodka?

Any particular brand?

Jan Pedersen
12-Jan-2010, 07:20
Single Malt is much better than Vodka, it leaves a nice Honey colored coating on the lens to. :rolleyes:

archer
13-Jan-2010, 01:00
Dear Gem;
Swallow away and after a few cleanings you may not even care if the lens is dirty. You may even get to the point of.... lens? what lens? As to the brand, whatever you can handle. Scotch? well let's see, hmm iodine and vitalis or single malt... tough choice.

Denise Libby