PDA

View Full Version : No initial filter settings for Fujicolor crystal archive super type C paper?

Wade Guisbert
9-Jan-2010, 14:36
I've spent several thousand bucks on getting set up in 4X5 (camera & darkroom). I was playing with Kodak Supra endura on 8X10, and decided I was ready for 20X24.

I bought 50 sheets of Fujicolor crystal archive super type C paper, and it doesn't have any filter settings on the package as a starting point.

Perhaps I was seduced by thinking I liked the "luster finish' as opposed to semi-mat, but subconciously it was probably because it was $25.00 cheaper!

Where do I start filtration with this paper?

RPNugent
9-Jan-2010, 15:04
I have used both papers, though mostly Fuji, and found the filtration to be close to the same starting point (40M,40Y for me) for both. I highly recommend a pack of 8x10 paper to save money for your proof prints. Do them at the 20x24 size and test an area you feel is critical for color (include some white area if possible) and go from there.

Drew Wiley
9-Jan-2010, 17:00
Differs somewhat from batch to batch, and even more from enlarger to enlarger.
I just cut test strips and then expose part of a master negative, and then make adjustments as needed. No big deal. The final fine-tuning is a bit fussier, simply
because the spectral peaks with Crystal Archive are rather steep. Even so, I don't
think I've ever spent more than half an hour calibrating a fresh batch. After that,
each specific negative differs a little anyway.

Wade Guisbert
9-Jan-2010, 17:18
Bob & Drew,

Thanks a bunch! After I posted my thread, I got on photo.net and found essentially the same info as what you guys gave me. The difference was that post was 5 years ago.

I hope this will help others with the same situation. This website may be the difference between me continuing with my quest versus just sticking everything back on ebay!

I have had some very encouraging results. This learning new stuff is fun!

Thanks again!

Drew Wiley
9-Jan-2010, 18:29
Good luck, Wade! Printing with Crystal Archive is really quite easy, although with a
little practice you might decide to refine your choice of paper surface or saturation,
or even your choice of negative film. Just remember to keep your developing temperature control very tight, and use fresh chemistry. The paper itself keeps quite
well, and doesn't shift much over time.

Wade Guisbert
10-Jan-2010, 19:14
Great success!

I bought a 24" Fiskars paper cutter and made my own 8X10's from the 20X24 Crystal Archive. I did the time testing, started @ 40M 40Y (it was very close) I ended up using 20M 40Y and whamoo I got a decent 20X24 color print!

I will be fooling with lots of stuff. I'm waiting for Ilfochrome paper to see what everyone is talking about! I also need to go out and start making more negatives & transparencies!

Drew Wiley
10-Jan-2010, 19:38
A couple minor words of warning. Ilfochrome doesn't keep well once it's thawed.
Try to use it up within a few months. If you have to interrupt your Fuji printing, the
Crystal Archive paper will probably remain unchanged in color balance. Also pay
particular attention to good ventilation with Ilfochrome. The bleach is nasty. Otherwise, congratulations on your successful print!

tgtaylor
10-Jan-2010, 20:00
If your enlarger is classified as of the Kodak variety, use a starting filter pack of:

0 Cyan
45 Magenta
45 Yellow

I have found 0C, 55M, 45Y a good starting point using a Beseler 45S head.

Thomas