PDA

View Full Version : Omegalite D Schneider 150 Could you help?

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 09:46
I just purchased an Omegalite D (Model 7424 c fluorescent circular bulb source) and I'm trying to use a Schneider 150 Componon on a 4x5 negative. The unit will not focus the 4x5 negative even when the head is raised to its max height (= 36 inches between the front of lens and the baseboard. The unit will focus a 35mm neg with a 50mm lens nicely. The unit will focus the 4x5 neg too.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but the enlarger's bellows will only extend/rack out two inches. Is this not unusual to be restricted to only about 50 cm of travel? On this enlarger there is a sort of 'two-thirds' moon type of circular disk/cam that restricts any movement of the bellows more than 2 inchces.

I think the Componon lens is fine and the enlarger needs to be adjusted from where the old user was enlarging 35mm negs to my new application of 4x5. I note that several manufacturer's holes in the chassis of the head and guess that they were put there for the purpose of being able to select how much bellows extension you can have (this brace holds/restricts the travel of the lens board during focusing).

What should I do?

P.S. anybody know where the filters go in this thing. There is no proper filter draw as in a condenser enlarger.

Mark Sampson
8-Jan-2010, 10:21
Without pictures it's hard to say for sure- the answer depends on which enlarger chassis you have; 'push-pull' D-II, autofocus D-3, a later crank-handle D-2, etc.
The most likely answer is that you need the lens cone that's about 4" deep, if your 150 lens is mounted on a flat board (meant for a 50mm lens) you won't be able to focus no matter which chassis you have.
See Harry Taylor's Classic Enlargers site for all kinds of Omega info, and parts too.

Gem Singer
8-Jan-2010, 10:29
You didn't mention which enlarger you are using, but from your description, it sounds like you need to add a lens extension cone for the 150mm lens.

If it's for an Omega "D" series, new ones are available at Midwest Photo (mpex).

Previously owned ones are available on eBay.

Be sure the extension cone includes the proper lens board for your 150 lens.

aduncanson
8-Jan-2010, 10:35
Sounds to me like maybe you have the autofocus version where the focus is controlled by a wheel that runs down a track that mounts to the column and has a profile specially ground for your enlarging lens. My out-of-commission E version has a small cam that can induce maybe a couple of inches of fine focus adjustment. A good picture would help greatly with identification.

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 11:03
Are these enough to ascertain the problem on this end?

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 11:08
I could get some better lights in my storage room, shut off the front light bulb and get more pics if you want them. I was trying to get them up fast with the on camera flash while you folks were on line. (this is the first time I attached a photo here you know). Stupid me in my haste. I'll see what I can do about the portrait mode next batch; don't hurt your necks!

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 11:13
I put the Companon on a flat board with the len's retaining ring.
I'm extremely nettled now because I was just down town again yesterday and could have bought the cone for this enlarger. I had the cone in my hand AND the lens in my hand. The fellow in the used department said NOT to buy the cone as it was only used to make very large enlargments. This is the opposite of what I hear Gem and Mark saying.

Gem Singer
8-Jan-2010, 11:22
Emo,

It's an Omega auto-focus enlarger. You need the long lens cone for the 150.

That enlarger does not have a drawer for VC filters.

Look for a set of the Kodak or Ilford under-the-lens filters.

They come with a plastic filter holder that attaches directly to the lens.

The Omegalite "Flying Saucer" has nothing to do with your focusing problem.

Mark Sampson
8-Jan-2010, 11:39
The autofocus model you have is a D-3; it can be used with different lenses and focussed manually. I haven't seen or used one in 20 years so can't tell you much more. The salesman was wrong, though, and you need the long cone for your 150 lens.

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 12:12
Lets back up. I had found this website for those of you who come after with the same question:
http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html
and when I put my pointer on it calls it the lamphouse a D2. This initiated the beginning of my confusion.

Gem claims it is an Automega 3 and suggested this site www.classic-enlargers.com
If I go down to #20 at http://www.classic-enlargers.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?p=1&lang=en&include=&exclude=&penalty=0&sort=&mode=any&q=Automega+D-3 I get a pile of info on what looks a lot like the enlarger i the pics. I need to wade through and absorb this new information.
Thank you VERY much for helping out. Time to do some research!

ic-racer
8-Jan-2010, 16:44
You need the 5 1/4" cone.
Luckily they made the D2 cones and the D3 cones in different sizes, so all 5 1/4" cones are for the D3. Otherwise they look similar in e-bay pictures.

ic-racer
8-Jan-2010, 19:29
Also, you did not say if you have the focusing track for the 150mm. If one of the two you have is not for the 150 then pick one up from Harry's classic enlargers. You will also need a mounting plate for the lens. Those plates have different sized holes, depending on the lens you have. The plates are common to many models, besides the D3.

Also check out the D3 manual here: http://www.darkroompro.com/pdf/enlargers/omega_d3d5.pdf

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 19:52
Oopps, I ordered a cone from B&H but it is a 5 inch cone (argh). Also, prior to this thread I ordered the three turrnet lensplate from debey but in this case both the seller and buyer didn't have enough data for a clue (it came this afternoon; it didn't fit). This is turning into a horror story.

Thank you for the URL for the D3 manual. Omega enlargers may have been around for a long time but despite asking the right questions me: "Will your enlarger will do 4x5?" he: "Absolutely" i'm nettled that the enlarger is NOT set up for 4x5. (this was bought sight unseen and transported by a friend who happened to be coming into NYC) So much for a 'great deal'.

I'm not throwing away another dime until I can get the manual for this crazy thing.
I'm was reading in another thread by Mark Sampson who suggested, "The old 'flying-saucer' type cold-light heads have several serious problems." ,,, and "I think the flying-saucers are a complete waste of time" (re: TimK thread entitled Re: Question about cold light and vc filters ) Hmmmm, do you think I should drop it off the dock and start over with more modern (and complete/working) apparatus?

jnantz
8-Jan-2010, 20:34
harry at classic enlargers has
all the parts and information you need.
he IS the omega-man!

emo supremo
9-Jan-2010, 11:16
I made a cone from a tin can this morning and it seems to be worth pursuing. I disengaed the large silver wheel that engages what I think is called a focusing rail and it lets the bellow rack out far more.

1. Could anyone explain why they use a cone and separate focusing rail. Seems to me just letting the bellows extend is a far better solution to accomodating long lenses for large negs?
2. What is the rationale about having stickers that said "such and such lens was for such and such rail"? Cameras use any old lens (again, depending on bellow). What's up with this?
3. When I get the manual I expect it will tell me what I need to get for cone, focusing rail and whatever. Thanks again Emlio

ic-racer
9-Jan-2010, 19:15
I made a cone from a tin can this morning and it seems to be worth pursuing. I disengaed the large silver wheel that engages what I think is called a focusing rail and it lets the bellow rack out far more.

1. Could anyone explain why they use a cone and separate focusing rail. Seems to me just letting the bellows extend is a far better solution to accomodating long lenses for large negs?
2. What is the rationale about having stickers that said "such and such lens was for such and such rail"? Cameras use any old lens (again, depending on bellow). What's up with this?
3. When I get the manual I expect it will tell me what I need to get for cone, focusing rail and whatever. Thanks again Emlio

emo, don't fret.

I just finished setting up a friend with a D3 and Chromega II head with 3 focus tracks, 3 lenses and a Condenser head also. It was entirely put together from donated free stuff that was totally useless until I put all the appropriate pieces together. We just finished the final installation of the Chromega head Monday.

I can get you set up also. If you can list exactly what you have in terms of lenses, and thread diameter and focusing tracks etc. I can help you get this thing running. It really is a fantastic enlarger when set up.

If the only lamp head you have is the Omegalight, that is way better than none at all. Don't worry.

In terms of your questions. The focus rails and lenses were matched for retail sales (I suspect so the appropriate components known to work together would be sold together ), but any lens of appropriate focal length will match the focus rails marked focal length.

If the focus rails controlled the full bellows movement, the rails would have to be much, much bigger. The cones 'take up the slack' so the wheel and focus rail only have to move the minimum amount. It really is a well thought out system once you understand it.

ic-racer
9-Jan-2010, 19:37
http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,11052.html

That one is a little expensive. But once you know what to look for you will find something for cheap if you are persistent.

For my friend, we wound up going with a cone we found on e-bay for $14. It was the cone for the 135mm, so we went with a 135mm lens instead.

craigslist listing for a d3 with multiple lenses for $200. Might ask him if the lenses (139 and 161mm) are attached to cones and sell separate. http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pho/1531229639.html

Jon Shiu
9-Jan-2010, 20:34
The newer omegas did away with the cones and use an adjustable bellows.

Jon

jnantz
9-Jan-2010, 21:28

hi emo

the reason why they had lens cones and rails
was to make an auto focusing enlarger that the user
only had to adjust the fine focus a tiny bit to move from a 4x6 print to a 11x14
from the same negative. they work very well when they are set up.

look for an aux bellows ( for jewel prints ) it might help you out quiet a bit...