PDA

View Full Version : using a Nikon 65mm SW with the Lee filter system without vignetting?

joshdaskew
7-Jan-2010, 05:27
Hi, I have just purchased a Nikon 65mm SW f4 and am now looking for a filter system for it. Was just wondering if I can use this system with my 65mm without vignetting? The other system I have been looking at is the Cokin Z Pro series and was wondering if anyone had any experience with that (with the 65mm)? Ideally I would like to go for the Lee as I like the look of the bellows as well and would like to keep it all somewhat standardised. Also, any suggestions as to another brand of Circular Polariser I could get to use with this system? The Lee one is just too expensive for my budget. Ok, thanks so much, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards Josh.

Aender Brepsom
7-Jan-2010, 06:01
I have used the same lens with a Lee wide angle adaptor ring and a 2-slot filter holder for landscape stuff. It worked fine. No vignetting.
Good polarizers don't come cheap. I use a 105mm Heliopan CP with the Lee system.

Joanna Carter
7-Jan-2010, 06:24
Ideally I would like to go for the Lee as I like the look of the bellows as well and would like to keep it all somewhat standardised.
Don't forget to go for the Wide Angle bellows, the regular or Universal ones are a bit too narrow to give you much effective shading on such a wide lens.

Also, any suggestions as to another brand of Circular Polariser I could get to use with this system? The Lee one is just too expensive for my budget.
Why do you want a Circular polariser? Or do you mean a screw-in one rather than a circularly polarised filter? Circularly polarised filters are not needed, except for use with autofocus systems. I use the Lee 100mm square linear polarised filter; a lot less expensive.

Lachlan 717
7-Jan-2010, 13:05
Cokin's X-Series will easily do it.

Schneider does a massive filter system (although they're probably as expensive as your lens).

A step-up ring and a few bits of Blu Tac will also probably do the job, and it'll be a heap cheaper than the Lee holder.

joshdaskew
11-Jan-2010, 03:43
Thanks so much for the responses, much appreciated!! I have received the Lens now so I will go ahead and get the Lee standard system and then look at getting the bellows system in the future. Just a quick question with regards to polarisers... I have read that you don't need a circular polariser for cameras without an autofocus system but considering that I am fairly new to large format, I was just how you control the area of the photo that is being affected? Either talking about taking reflections out of windows or darkening the sky? The only experience I have is with a smaller system where I have used a circular polariser to adjust these things. If anyone can explain this that would be greatly appreciated. Best Regards Josh

Joanna Carter
11-Jan-2010, 04:56
Just a quick question with regards to polarisers... I have read that you don't need a circular polariser for cameras without an autofocus system but considering that I am fairly new to large format, I was just how you control the area of the photo that is being affected? Either talking about taking reflections out of windows or darkening the sky? The only experience I have is with a smaller system where I have used a circular polariser to adjust these things. If anyone can explain this that would be greatly appreciated.
Polarising filters are available in two formats: round screw-in and square slide-in. They are also available with two different types of polarisation: linear and circular.

Both round and square filters can be obtained in linear or circular polarisation.

As I said, circular polarisation is not necessary for large format cameras as they do not use auto-focus. You use the (cheaper) linear polarisers just as you would a circular one - simply rotate the filter until you get the desired amount of polarisation.

Patrick Dixon
11-Jan-2010, 05:17
With both circular and linear polarisers, you rotate the filter to give the 'amount' of polarisation you require. The round filters rotate and the square ones slide into a holder that rotates.

Round doesn't mean circular and linear doesn't mean square in this instance!