PDA

View Full Version : Window versus Mirror...

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2010, 07:48
Which is a term I've heard used in describing literature----usually children's literature but I'm thinking it is an apt term to use regarding photography. In literature, a "mirror" book is one which is written about subject much like the reader (such as books about teenagers which are marketed to teenagers,) while a "window" book is one that explores other envirements( geographical, cultutral, historical, spiritual etc...) which are not commonly encountered by the reader.

Here's the deal:
Do you think most people are interested in photos of subject which mirror their own immediate "world) (the "mirrior") or photographs of subjects which are outside their own familiar surroundings (the "window")?

Which types of photographic subjects (window or mirror) do you prefer to shoot & which ones tend to give you the most satisfaction?

I know this is hard to put in question form but I hope you get the idea.

What of it?

Mark Sampson
5-Jan-2010, 08:03
See the exhibit/book curated by John Szarkowski at MoMA, what, about 1980? with your exact title. People argued about this for decades... I say ToMAYto.

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2010, 08:12
See the exhibit/book curated by John Szarkowski at MoMA, what, about 1980? with your exact title. People argued about this for decades... I say ToMAYto.

Mark, I'm not interested in John Szarkowski (nor do I think John Szarkowski would be interested in me!)

I'm interested in the people here.

What subjects do you enjoy looking at?
Which subjects give you the most satisfaction ashooting/printing?
Which subjects do the people you sell prints to prefer?
Windows or mirrors?

Jack Dahlgren
5-Jan-2010, 08:31
Something half-silvered.

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2010, 08:39
Something half-silvered.

:confused:

bobwysiwyg
5-Jan-2010, 08:49
I prefer "window" since I'm familiar with my surroundings and prefer to see new subjects.

Paul Kierstead
5-Jan-2010, 08:52
Considering the very considerable success of travel-based, or perhaps destination, photography (i.e. photographs of places the viewer has not likely visited) I'd say most people are likely more interested in Windows.

Personally, I am interested in things which are solidly in my world that I perhaps have missed, or not examined closely enough.

Mark Sampson
5-Jan-2010, 12:15
John, forgive me for stepping on your idea; no disrespect intended. I was just cranky and should have thought before posting.

Struan Gray
5-Jan-2010, 13:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LToDBiVu9Kg

I think most people like photographs which mirror their idea of what a window should be.

gevalia
5-Jan-2010, 13:40
Man, you guys are deep. I'm just not that complicated.

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2010, 15:19
John, forgive me for stepping on your idea; no disrespect intended. I was just cranky and should have thought before posting.

Good heavens, no offense taken!:) I'm sure there have been countless similar discusions and essays written on the subject of subjects and I'm sure they have merit, but my purpose was to hear what my esteemed colleagues personally find which subjects are more interesting or rewarding to pursue, and why

Preston
5-Jan-2010, 16:46
An interesting question, John. Here's my take...

I think that its not an either/or situation. When I make a photograph I discover something new about the world around me, and also learn something new about myself.

I believe a viewer may react similarly: Through the photograph they explore something they would not otherwise, and they also explore who they are in the process.

So, a photograph can be a window and a mirror.

--Preston

VictoriaPerelet
5-Jan-2010, 17:22
Initial term is maybe good initial approximation for genre, both for writing or visual art. But things may get very complicated if window is made of semi reflective glass positioned at 45 degrees . Very hard to tell ... Things that are done in between are topics of endless debates:)

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/how-stanley-kubrick-faked-the-apollo-moon-landings/

(technical part in 2nd part of article)

Edit. Just to make sure this is related to LF, 8x10 to be exact (and that's how I learned it):

"In order to photograph the magnificent vistas used as backgrounds for the "Dawn of Man" sequence, Kubrick had three still camera crews operating in Southwest Africa for several months with 8 x 10 view cameras."

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/sk/2001a/page2.html

herrvall
9-Jan-2010, 22:11
The work of Randy Olsen and Melissa Farlow (both National Geographic photographers) manages to fit into both the window and mirror category as set forth at the beginning. Strictly visual documentation, a window, and empathy from the photographer and viewer.

I've always found my favorite works to be a blend of the both. More precisely, through an image I see into something the image maker wants to show me, and I relate this to myself in some way.

:p

Prestons got it.