PDA

View Full Version : High speed films and pushing

BetterSense
4-Jan-2010, 22:15
Since going handheld 4x5, with available light, I've come to realize just how slow these large cameras are. Unfortunately, the slowest format has the fewest high-speed films available, which is almost paradoxical. You can get Neopan 1600 in 35mm which is grainy anyway, but not in the finer-grained medium format or large format. Delta 3200 is unavailable as well, probably because that would just be too awesome.

This leaves pushing a 400 speed film. Which 400 speed film is best for the job? My usual candidate for pushing, Tri-X 400 isn't available in sheets. I don't know how TXP pushes. I never had any luck pushing TMY in smaller formats, the best I have come is underexposing it and processing normall--but maybe others have different experiences. Right now I'm using HP5+ and processing according to the directions. I get pretty good results out to 1600, but I'm interested in other formulas for pushing sheet film as fast as possible.

Also, what's the slowest handheld shutter speed you can hold, with a 135mm lens? I've been able to hold 1/60th but haven't tested this to large enlargements.

Daniel_Buck
4-Jan-2010, 22:23
for hand holding speeds, I've done 1/40th on a 4x5 speed (with no flash) at 127mm, it seemed to be sharp enough for decent enlargements. I was crouching down though, so maybe I was a little more stable than standing up.

SteveKarr
4-Jan-2010, 22:41
Try Tri-X in Diafine at 1000asa or so ... with an f/5.6 lens and a little practice it works...

Also how you support the camera is a big deal. I have a Linhof III with the super cool, seems too expensive handle... well, between the handle & a hand under the bed, you can get 1/15 with a 135mm.

Good Luck!
Steve

BetterSense
5-Jan-2010, 07:20
Try Tri-X in Diafine at 1000asa or so ... with an f/5.6 lens and a little practice it works...

You can't get Tri-X in sheets. Are you talking about TXP 320?

Nathan Potter
6-Jan-2010, 17:09
Depends on how steady you are. But for unsupported free holding I've always used the old guide of one over the focal length so for a 135mm FL that speed would be in the neighborhood of 1/135 sec. If my teeth are chattering or I've had too much to drink I'll double that. But under normal conditions and a pretty steady hand 1/135 sec (1/125 sec.) should yield a crisp image.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Dave Grenet
6-Jan-2010, 18:27
I've had luck with TMY at 1600 for (I think) 10 minutes in stock microphen, but I've only tried it once and it was in 35mm. It has grain and isn't all that sharp, but overall not too bad all things considered.

Not a great scan, but this (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=490080&l=04dc0fb8e1&id=1397373810) is one example I printed.