PDA

View Full Version : Wista Acquisition

Jim Burk
3-Jan-2010, 15:57
I recently acquired a Wista DX II is excellent condition. The only thing that seems to be missing is a name tag! "Wista" is stamped into the wood under the slide, but nowhere else does the name appear. Is this normal?

I have a 135 lens, and a 210. Will these be sufficient for most landscape situations, or is a 180 a good addition?

Are good cases available that hold the camera along with film holders, loupe, meter, cloth, etc? Right now I have a case which holds everything except the camera!

Mike1234
3-Jan-2010, 16:14
I can't help with the name plate but you could probably have one duplicated if it's important to you.

The jump between 135 and 210 is a good one, IMO. If you're ready to buy another lens for landscapes I would look for a wide lens... a 90 would be a good spacing below the 135, IMO. Then later, if you want to go wider add a 58 or 65 or if you want a longer lens then add a 300. FWIW, my choice for 4x5 lens setup would be 58, 90, 135, 210, 300.

I don't know about cases but if you intend to hike with it I suggest you ask for backpack advice. I don't use a loop but opted for +6 reading glasses instead. Meter depends on what you intend to shoot. A Gossen Luna Pro SBC is the low light king but I opted for a Sekonic L-778 spot meter. There are less pricey meters that are really just as good but I got a very good deal on mine. The LightJacket is a nice option for a focusing cloth. Good used 4x5 film holders can be bought for $5-6 each if you buy several.

Bob Salomon
3-Jan-2010, 16:30
Yes, on the front of the camera, under the front standard, there is a plate that says "Wista Field". If yours had the plate then you should see the holes where it was fastened to the camera. Wista service in the USA is marflex@aol.com should you need the part.

hmvmanuk
4-Jan-2010, 04:14
Jim,

I've also just bought a DXII on eBay. It hasn't arrived yet but, looking at the pics, it doesn't have the 'Wista Field' plate on the front either. The only plate that I can see is one on the rear face of the base that reads 'Made in Japan'. When the camera arrives I'll examine it closely to see if there ever was a plate on the front.

I don't think I'd be bothered if it was missing though; it won't make any difference to the operation of the camera and the 'understated' look might be an advantage!

Gavin

Jim Burk
4-Jan-2010, 10:54
Thanks to all for the responses. I am not really worried about the missing plate, just curious. It really is a nice looking camera.

I will be shooting for a while with the two lenses I have before deciding if I even need another. I guess it is just force of habit from my DSLR where I have 5 lenses. :rolleyes:

hmvmanuk
6-Jan-2010, 06:13
My Wista arrived today and it is, indeed, a thing of beauty! I gather it's about 16 years old but it looks as if it's hardly been used at all and the bellows are nice and crisp and crease-free. Need to get a lens now!

Anyway, Jim, I've looked carefully and there are no holes at the front where a name plate would've been fixed so I assume that it never had one. Like yours, there's just the name 'Wista' stamped into the wood of the base at the front. Interestingly, I can't see a serial number anywhere either. The only marking is, as I mentioned in my earlier post, a sticker on the rear saying "Made in Japan". Does yours have a serial number?

Enjoy your camera,

Gavin

Jim Burk
6-Jan-2010, 10:28
Gavin,

Congratulations! Mine is also a beautiful camera, though I have no idea of its age. The stamp is the only marking in the whole camera. I don't have the front plate, or the "Made in Japan" plate, and no serial number that I can see. I hope to get out tomorrow and take some shots, even though I can't get to the school lab until next month for the development. I got a 135 lens, and am using the 210 from my Toyo on the Wista lensboard that came with the camera.

Have fun,

Jim

Alex Tymków
6-Jan-2010, 11:15
Hi, I have a Wista DX 'Rosewood', I don't know if it's a II, what's the difference? It has 'WISTA FIELD' badge stuck to the front of the baseboard. On the back of the baseboard it has another badge stuck to it which says 'WISTA CO., LTD. MADE IN JAPAN NO xxxxx'. The badges are just stuck on so they could get lost. Alex

hmvmanuk
6-Jan-2010, 13:25
Alex,

As I understand it the DXII is the version without the back shift facility. In every other respect it's identical.

I have seen quite a few pictures of Wista Fields and not all seem to have the name badge on the front. I have also seen pictures that show the manufacturer/serial number plate on the back like yours. However, the "Made in Japan" sticker on mine is in that same position. It just seems to me unlikely that a camera in such good condition as mine in all other respects would be missing two badges and that someone would replace the rear one with a "Made in Japan" sticker.

Maybe some Wista experts on here will be able to enlighten us. Fortunately neither badge has any bearing on the operation of the camera!

Gavin

Bob Salomon
6-Jan-2010, 13:58
Alex,

As I understand it the DXII is the version without the back shift facility. In every other respect it's identical.

I have seen quite a few pictures of Wista Fields and not all seem to have the name badge on the front. I have also seen pictures that show the manufacturer/serial number plate on the back like yours. However, the "Made in Japan" sticker on mine is in that same position. It just seems to me unlikely that a camera in such good condition as mine in all other respects would be missing two badges and that someone would replace the rear one with a "Made in Japan" sticker.

Maybe some Wista experts on here will be able to enlighten us. Fortunately neither badge has any bearing on the operation of the camera!

Gavin
OK, ready?

Wista makes:
DX in cherry, rosewood, quince (replaces rosewood) and ebony.
II in cherry or in rosewood.
III in cherry
SW in cherry and rosewood
SW III in cherry

All have a standard 12" bellows that can be extended further with accessories.
All have a minimum bellows draw of 51mm
The SW and the SW III have an interchangeable bellows
All have 90/37° front tilt
All have 16/16° back tilt
All have 15° front swing
All have 12° back swing
None have front shift
Except for the II all have 16mm of back shift
The III and the SW III have a Graflock back. The others have a spring back.

Most (if not all) new cameras have a Wista plate on the front and a Made in Japan plate on the rear.

These are hand made cameras. It would not be inconceivable that some might not get the plates. Wista service should be able to get plates. marflex@aol.com is the service center in the USA.

hmvmanuk
6-Jan-2010, 14:09
Thanks, Bob, for taking the trouble to list all of that info. It's most helpful and much appreciated.

Best,

Gavin