PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ACTUALLY USE Marumi center ND filters?

Wade Guisbert
31-Dec-2009, 21:26
I have amassed a near complete 4X5 field outfit via ebay. I lack a center ND filter for my 65mm lens that at times the light fall off is annoying, however not as much as I expected after viewing the ground glass.

The problem is that I have been spoiled getting really nice stuff cheap. A Toyo AII with Scneider and Rodenstock lenses (65, 90, 210) for the price of perhaps just one of these lenses retail.

Now I see on ebay this Marumi center ND filter for 1/3 the price of the name brands. Of course I am skeptical. I am old enough to remember that Japanese copy-cat stuff was low quality. I also remember when the Japanese eventually meant quality. Nikon was a proffesional piece of equiptment, not meant for the masses.

So....... don't tell me Marumi makes crap other stuff. Has anybody actually used one of these things?

Happy new DECADE! in about 1/2 an hour! I know, I need to get a life!

Tim Shawcross
1-Jan-2010, 15:31
I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well as I've been looking at them for a while too. One down side is they don't have a thread so you can't attach other filters/filter systems.

Tim

Heroique
1-Jan-2010, 16:54
I think Marumi center filters would likely please you, though I haven’t tried one.

I have used Marumi polarizers (MC circular & un-coated linear), plus their multi-coated solid ND filters, and multi-coated UV filters. I’ve been pleased w/ the build-quality and glass-quality. I think Marumi may be an oft-overlooked & under-rated manufacturer of filters w/ excellent prices.

All my photos w/ polarizers in this forum use the Marumi brand.

(See my post #53 in this Thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47659&page=6&highlight=zeus
) for some Marumi-induced sky drama.)

Steve Wadlington
1-Jan-2010, 23:18
I have one on my 6x17 with 90/f8 Nikkor. It works fine and no noticible resolution drop. I have stacked an orange filter underneath and it did not vignet. Stacked filters will not work on my 6x12 with 65/f5.6 Super Anglulon, slight corner vignet.

Wade Guisbert
2-Jan-2010, 20:36
Steve,

Based on what you said I will buy it, and post back my opinion (as soon as the cold winter wind outside here in central Pa. dies down).

Wade

bsimison
2-Jan-2010, 21:02
Yes, I use one on my 6x17 Gaoersi with Rodenstock 90mm ƒ/6.8 lens. Works fine.