PDA

View Full Version : Efke IR820 Aura: Anyone Using

rguinter
29-Dec-2009, 19:47
Greetings infrared enthusiasts. I just bought a large lot of Efke IR820 Aura in 120 and 4x5-inch. Results from my first test roll of 120 are impressive. Now time to get serious and do some 4x5 sheets. If anyone would like to compare notes I would be pleased to hear from others who may be using it. My exposures have been in the 15-120 second range @ f22 with a Tiffen 87 filter. Regards. Bob G.

Diane Maher
30-Dec-2009, 08:09
It's been a while since I used it, but I have some waiting to be used. That is typical for exposure.

Wallace_Billingham
30-Dec-2009, 09:59
I rate it at around 1.5-3 iso. I find the "aura" effect not really all that different from the regular non aura film. Especially at LF sizes.

Despite what Efke claims the film responds much better to over exposure than under so I always err on the side of more exposure.

Eirik Berger
30-Dec-2009, 10:56
I got a handful of boxes with the Maco IR820-film (4x5") from Silverprint (UK) but I havenīt got around to use it yet, it just takes space in my freezer. I have used it a lot as 120-film some years ago, but I have never used IR-film in large format.

Hopefully I will make some use of it the coming spring when the snow goes away. I remember I rated it approx. ISO 3with the filter I used. I developed it in Xtol and got really nice results. As we speak I donīt remember exactly what it was, probably a wratten #87. A 4x4" gel filter.

I have never tried the aura-version and would be happy if someone posted images from this film.

Wallace_Billingham
30-Dec-2009, 13:20
I have never tried the aura-version and would be happy if someone posted images from this film.

The difference between the two at Large Format sizes is so tiny you really do not notice. Even with medium format it is really not noticeable.

The only difference between the two is that the Aura version does not have an anti-halation backing. Without one the highlights are supposed to bloom like with Kodak HIE. They do bloom somewhat as the light from the highlights gets spread out a bit to the areas around it but because you do not enlarge larger formats as much as 35mm you really do not notice.

I also think the very large grain size of HIE as compared to Efke's IR820 made a big difference with any blooming.

I also think that with Large Format the lack of a anti-halation layer could be a bad thing in that since some of the light would pass right through the film it could very easily be reflected back to the film. The problem is that sheetfilm holders are not designed to reflect light back and could do so very unevenly.

This was an issue with a lot of 35mm cameras and HIE since a lot of pressure plates were dimpled. With 120 roll film this is not an issue due to the paper backing.

If you really want blooming with this film you could put some reflective mylar or tin foil in your film holder then put the film on top. That would make it much more reflective and would be even. I would worry about scratching however

Wallace_Billingham
30-Dec-2009, 13:27
Hopefully I will make some use of it the coming spring when the snow goes away.

You should give it a go with the snow. Snow scenes look wonderful in IR, especially if you have some liquid water such as a stream in the picture. The water in the stream will look jet black and the white snow will look nice and white with anything else such as tree trunks a nice midtone.

Just becareful that you do not over expose. Snow is very highly reflective of IR light and glows whiter than even green foliage does.

With a Hoya R72 at f/22 in full sun I would expose for 3/4 of a second and in cloudy weather for 4-6 seconds.

pocketfulladoubles
30-Dec-2009, 14:25
This may be a silly question, but can a meter detect IR through a filter like the Hoya or a wratten 87?

David Michael Bigeleisen
30-Dec-2009, 15:24
How are you developing efke infrared? Is anyone using x-tol or pmk?

Wallace_Billingham
31-Dec-2009, 06:28
How are you developing efke infrared? Is anyone using x-tol or pmk?

I use Rodinal or Diafine

rguinter
31-Dec-2009, 11:46
This may be a silly question, but can a meter detect IR through a filter like the Hoya or a wratten 87?

I have a very old Adorama brand spot meter and it is sensitive to IR and I can measure IR ev values with it through the 87 filter. Although I have not routinely switched the filter back and forth off the camera lens for metering, or tried to correlate IR ev values to film speed, rather I've been estimating the exposures by eye with visible light and finding I usually come pretty close. Bob G.

rguinter
31-Dec-2009, 11:52
You should give it a go with the snow. Snow scenes look wonderful in IR, especially if you have some liquid water such as a stream in the picture. The water in the stream will look jet black and the white snow will look nice and white with anything else such as tree trunks a nice midtone.

Just becareful that you do not over expose. Snow is very highly reflective of IR light and glows whiter than even green foliage does.

With a Hoya R72 at f/22 in full sun I would expose for 3/4 of a second and in cloudy weather for 4-6 seconds.

Wallace: I've only shot one 120-roll of the aura so far. But yes I'm seeing some IR reflection with snow on this film and other IR films I've been using. If you email me I'll reply and show you a shot I did last week in NYC on aura with snow and water. Cheers. Bob G. rguinter@yahoo.com