PDA

View Full Version : recessed Lense boards

Jon Berndt
28-Dec-2009, 08:48
I have a Grandagon 75mm lense on a flat lense board and am getting limited image circle. So can only use limited camera movements. If I use a recessed board would I get better coverage?

jon

David Rees
28-Dec-2009, 08:53
A recessed board won't give you greater coverage from the lens; it simply makes movements easier, due mainly to reducing the compression of the bellows. If you are running out of coverage from your 75mm with a flat board, it seems you are getting more than enough movements for that optic, so a recessed board is not going to help you.

BTW, recessed boards can make accessing the lens controls harder, so they are best avoided where possible...

Bob Salomon
28-Dec-2009, 09:02
BTW, recessed boards can make accessing the lens controls harder, so they are best avoided where possible...

No, some can.
The Linhof 001015 Comfort recessed board puts the aperture scales on the flat front face of the board, above the lens along with the aperture pointer and selector. It also puts an indicator for press focus open or closed on the flat front surface of the board along with the press focus control. PC socket faces forward and the cable release system accepts a plug-in cable release. It is more convenient then many flat boards.

Gem Singer
28-Dec-2009, 09:32
What size lens board for which make and model camera?

You won't get more coverage from your lens using a recessed lens board. However, if you have a camera that uses a larger size lens board, like a Sinar or Toyo field, you should have no trouble accessing the shutter controls.

Less bellows compression, easier to use front movements.