PDA

View Full Version : Borax/Kodalk

Ben Calwell
27-Dec-2009, 15:08
I think I'm right about this, but wanted to be sure. Am I correct that I can use Borax instead of Kodalk as the second bath when using D-23 in a two-solution scheme?
I used to mix this stuff up years ago and want to try it again.
Also, I'm assuming that Kodalk is no longer available.
Thanks very much

largeformat apt
27-Dec-2009, 15:14
Kodalk is Sodium Metaborate. You should still be able to get from Bostick or Formulary.
Pat

Ben Calwell
27-Dec-2009, 16:43
Thank you, Pat

Greg Blank
27-Dec-2009, 16:55
Sodium metaborate is one of the easiest to mix compounds in photo
the ingredients can be bought at the grocery store!!!

Kodalk is Sodium Metaborate. You should still be able to get from Bostick or Formulary.
Pat

Henry Ambrose
27-Dec-2009, 19:34
The other answer is "yes, you can use borax for the second bath".

Doremus Scudder
28-Dec-2009, 16:39
Just to clarify: AFAIK, Kodalk, and Kodak Balanced Alkalai were, in essence, sodium metaborate.

Borax is sodium tetraborate, which is available in many supermarkets as 20-Mule-Team Borax.

The metaborate is available from PF and other chemical suppliers, but not readily available in supermarkets.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) can be substituted for sodium metaborate in many formulas.

Do correct me if I am wrong.

Doremus Scudder

Jim Graves
28-Dec-2009, 17:17
Per Anchell & Troop's Film Developing Cookbook, both Stoeckler and Dalzell's 2-bath D-23 used 10 grams Borax to 1 Liter of water for Solution B.

Greg Blank
28-Dec-2009, 17:31
You're not wrong however if one cruises over to the home cleaning supplies
one can usually find "red devil lye" which is Sodium Hydroxide.

Making Your own Metaborate Takes a bit of common sense (Disclaimer- if you lack it do NOT attempt the following:

If one adds 125 Grams of Borax into 25 grams of Hydroxide plus 800 ml of water one gets a nice Sodium Metaborate solution.....but you must use caution mixing the Hydroxide into the water which is the first step. Use only a glass temperature resistent "Pyrex" beaker .....colder water is better final water to make 1000 ml.

Once again Hydroxide and water first, Borax mixes better when added to the water hydroxide solution.

I worked the ratios out many years ago after some correspondence with Maxim Muir.
I used this ever since so I know it works.

Just to clarify: AFAIK, Kodalk, and Kodak Balanced Alkalai were, in essence, sodium metaborate.

Borax is sodium tetraborate, which is available in many supermarkets as 20-Mule-Team Borax.

The metaborate is available from PF and other chemical suppliers, but not readily available in supermarkets.

Borax (sodium tetraborate) can be substituted for sodium metaborate in many formulas.

Doremus Scudder

Merg Ross
28-Dec-2009, 21:50

Doremus Scudder

Hi Doremus,

Correct. Years ago Bill Davis told me that 20-Mule-Team Borax works fine in his formula as a substitute for Balanced Alkalai. His divided formula is in the first Anchell book.
Best wishes for 2010!

Ben Calwell
29-Dec-2009, 05:51
Wow -- I can just go to the supermarket and buy 20-Mule Team Borax!
Thanks all

sanking
29-Dec-2009, 07:39

Doremus Scudder

That is generally true, but a borax percentage solution of the same strength as metaborate has a lower pH and is not quite as energetic as an accelerator in developers.
Longer development times to reach the same CI would be expected.

Sandy King