PDA

View Full Version : Digitizing LF prints: Digital camera on a copy-stand?

David Home
27-Dec-2009, 12:17
Hi all.
Soon I will want to get some of my B&W prints into digital form to put them up on my Flickr page. A flat bed scanner is the obvious method but I am limited to prints no larger them the size of the scanner 'window'. How about using a digital SLR on a copy-stand?
I can get a copy-stand for very cheap these days. Is this a viable option? While the quality be less then using a scanner?
Thanks for any opinions.
Regards, David

Joanna Carter
27-Dec-2009, 12:28
Hi all.
Soon I will want to get some of my B&W prints into digital form to put them up on my Flickr page. A flat bed scanner is the obvious method but I am limited to prints no larger them the size of the scanner 'window'. How about using a digital SLR on a copy-stand?
I can get a copy-stand for very cheap these days. Is this a viable option? While the quality be less then using a scanner?
Of course the quality will be less. A flatbed can easily give you 2400ppi (for a 10" x 8", that would be 24,000 pixels by 19,200 pixels, or slightly over 460 Megapixels) whilst a camera might typically give you 12-24 Megapixels.

But, since you only need an image of around half a Megapixel for a full screen picture, I doubt if you will see any discernible difference.

Nathan Potter
27-Dec-2009, 14:35
A copy stand is fine. You will be limited by the resolution of the camera but certainly should be adequate for a Flickr insertion. I made a quickie setup a while back with junk parts. (photo attached). I use it over a light table to copy chromes and negs quickly since I'm mostly an analogue worker.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jp
27-Dec-2009, 15:14
Hi all.
Thanks for any opinions.
Regards, David

As long as your lighting is controlled, this will work well. Make sure your white balance is right for the light source, there aren't reflections in the image from lights that are/are not part of the light stand.

jdimichele
27-Feb-2010, 22:08
Quite honestly, unless you enjoy the whole reproduction process, stick with a flatbed. Not only will it save you tons of time, you have the ability to scan your photo at a resolution that will allow a nice large print and can be scaled down for your Flickr page.

Cheers,
Jay
www.jasondimichele.com