PDA

View Full Version : FB portrait paper

Allen in Montreal
27-Dec-2009, 10:38
I have been testing out Kentmere Fineprint as a replacement paper as the old stock papers slowly run out. Last night I printed a neg of friends and their young son shot in the park with the grass covered in fallen leaves.

I am not too sure Fineprint is the right paper for that task.

I would have turned to Insignia or Portriga for this print a few years ago.
I toned the print in Agfa Viradon brown toner, the paper overly responded to the toning.
Perhaps diluted at twice recommended would have been better.

Any suggestions for an Insignia 'ish paper to test?

Keith Tapscott.
27-Dec-2009, 14:50
I have been testing out Kentmere Fineprint as a replacement paper as the old stock papers slowly run out. Last night I printed a neg of friends and their young son shot in the park with the grass covered in fallen leaves.

I am not too sure Fineprint is the right paper for that task.

I would have turned to Insignia or Portriga for this print a few years ago.
I toned the print in Agfa Viradon brown toner, the paper overly responded to the toning.
Perhaps diluted at twice recommended would have been better.

Any suggestions for an Insignia 'ish paper to test?Choice of papers is a very personal thing, so you will get many opinions for which paper(s) to choose. I like Ilford Galerie grade 2 for it`s slight warmth for portraiture. For a VC paper, Ilford MG-WT semi-matte can look nice for portraits, although I prefer MG-IV for regular non-portrait use. :D

Chuck Pere
27-Dec-2009, 15:46
Try the Emaks from Freestlye. It's a graded paper like the Insignia and warmish in tone.

kay tokugo
27-Dec-2009, 17:22
Sadly there is nothing that even comes close to Insignia. It was expensive, but it produced beautiful images and was worth every penny. I have settled on Ilford MGFB warmtone.

Toyon
27-Dec-2009, 18:58
For a low contrast older look, try Slavich or Varycon. For an ultra warmtone, contrasty look, try Oriental Warmtone.

Drew Wiley
27-Dec-2009, 21:38
EMaks is a paper which works well with "snatch" developing, especially in glycin developer. In other words, you pull the print out of the developer early. It will be
quite soft but especially responsive to toners. Of course, this works best if you have
a negative with well-expanded midtones and highlights. The shadows will come out
silvery instead of deep black. But it's a very nice strategy for portraits. Fineprint with its silver iodide doesn't seem to like this approach, and to me is best when fully
developed for deep cold blacks (I love it for landscapes, not portraiture).

Allen in Montreal
29-Dec-2009, 10:24
Sadly there is nothing that even comes close to Insignia. It was expensive, but it produced beautiful images and was worth every penny. I have settled on Ilford MGFB warmtone.

Kay,

It was a very nice paper wasn't it. Sad it is gone. I am down to my last box of grade 2, it has lost a half grade or so over the years so I process it in G to boost it up a little.

I picked up a 25 sht pack of the Ilford and printed last night with the Ilford dev, Dektol and Plat. ll

I preferred the prints from Plat ll at 1:9 for 2.5 minutes.

I will try to locate a small pack of Oriental to test also but I can't find a local retailer, looks like I will have to mail order it.

Has anyone used the Kentmere warm tone papers?

Howard Tanger
30-Dec-2009, 14:35
Hi Kay: Who manufactured "Insignia" paper? Howard Tanger

Allen in Montreal
30-Dec-2009, 19:56
Howard,

Insignia was, for my tastes, one of Agfa's finest papers.

Andre Noble
2-Jan-2010, 03:03
I wasn't too fond of Kentmere Fineprint in general - I used a small packet of it in 5x7 for someportraiture. Kentmere Bromide for portraiture is a combination I really like, however.

Allen in Montreal
17-Jan-2010, 21:50

I think the MGFB Warmtone is where I will settle also Kay, I printed a few tonight and am very happy with the prints, time to stick with a paper and really learn it.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Arne Croell
18-Jan-2010, 11:14
Hi Kay: Who manufactured "Insignia" paper? Howard Tanger
Agfa. In Europe its name was "Record-Rapid".

jeroldharter
18-Jan-2010, 19:46
I use Kentmere Fineprint as my primary paper but find it a bit cold for portraits for which I still have some Forte Polywarmtone. I tried the Kentmere warm tone paper and disliked it. I did not care for Ilford Warmtone either. Before you commit, try the Oriental Warmtone which is very nice and significantly less expensive than Ilford.

John Kasaian
18-Jan-2010, 21:03
I've become a Fomabrome fan. Freestyle carries the graded fiberbase version. It is a good paper well worth trying. I've tried Emaks and Slavich too. You pays your money and you takes your chances---nothing I know of compares to oldies like Ektalure, Inisgnia, AZO (though I've yet to try Lodima) etc....but darn it I really like FB graded Fomabrome! Emaks or Slavich may be more to your liking---give 'em all a try!