PDA

View Full Version : CIS system for HP B8550

dh003i
26-Dec-2009, 21:06
I'm looking at this CIS system for the my HP B8550 printer: CKCCIC PrinterMate Bulk ink system (sold by computerknow) (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170398785110&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1123).

I e-mailed the seller, who seems to have a good reputation, and asked if the system was leak-proof and if it used non-sponge cartridges. He replied,

"The cartridges have sponge. Non-sponge cartridges are leaky...Yes, the system is leak-proof, and the guarantee is 5 years."

I've never heard that before, implying that the sponge cartridges are better. Thoughts?

I also asked the same question of the guy selling this system, but haven't received an answer yet (it's only an hour after I asked): CIS FOR HP B8550 B8553 B8558 #564 PRINTER CISS (sold by inksmarts). (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180442811528&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

D. Bryant
27-Dec-2009, 10:59
Use refillable cartridges and avoid CIS solutions.

dh003i
27-Dec-2009, 11:19
Why do you recommend refillable cartridges over CIS solutions? Aren't they a mess?

D. Bryant
27-Dec-2009, 21:47
IME, you are less likely to have clogging with refillable carts than with CIS systems. You really need to print a lot to keep the ink flowing through the tubing of a CIS system.

But I don't use either any longer (and haven't for a long long time.)

Of course you will need to create paper profiles for the ink you will be using.

dh003i
28-Dec-2009, 01:24
D. Bryant,

Thank you very much for the information; I'll go with the refillable cartridges, since I'm not printing on a daily basis.

dh003i
15-Jan-2010, 17:45
I ended up getting the CIS system for my HP B8550 printer. I couldn't find a refill system that seemed to be of comparable quality. At that cost of ink, I can do periodic prints on non-photo paper when I'm otherwise not printing to keep the ink flowing.

Btw, I'm having a tech-support issue right now with "incorrect paper size or type" when I print from the printer for 4x6 or 13x19's (but not when I print directly from camera). I have the extended warranty / tech support contract and am on the phone right now with HP. When I told them I use Linux as my OS, they didn't say, "oh, we're sorry, Linux isn't supported, we can't support you if you use Linux". They said, "Ok, let us transfer you over to the linux department". This is great!