PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 b/w in unicolor drum- scratches?

sa11
26-Dec-2009, 11:33
Hello

I just purchased a unicolor 11x14 print drum and roller to develop my 8x10 HP5 sheets. The development looks great and even, but I am getting long scratches that run up my 8x10 sheets in the direction of the ridges on the sides of my drums. They certainly appear to be from the drum as they tend to be evenly spaced and run the long way up my negatives.

I have been loading the film with the emulsion side facing in. The scratches are on the non-emulsion side. I have been developing both one sheet of film and two sheets of film in the 11x14 tank. When I load the negatives and take them out I slide the film sheet into the two grooves on either side of the drum and let it slide down into the tank. When removing the film I grip the top of the negative carefully and pull up. Sometimes it gets caught at the top in which case I have to wiggle the negative around a little to get it out.

Has anyone else had their negatives scratched by their unicolor drums? If so, what did you do? Obviously the big advantage supposedly of using this system is that one would not get scratched negatives.

Thanks a lot for your reponse!

Regards.
Scott

SteveKarr
26-Dec-2009, 11:57
Hi,
I have a unicolor 11x14 drum. I had a few problems with scratches too at first, so I did 2 things:

1) Got some 600 sand paper and smoothed the inside of the drum, on the ridges mostly. Use water, a little dish soap and some sweat.
2) I also went to wetting the film & tank before I load it, we did this with the Jobo sometimes too

I don't know which is the answer (I bet it was the sanding) but it worked. But now I use Hangers or BTZS tubes.

Good Luck!

Steve
BTW ... mine's for sale!

Glenn Thoreson
26-Dec-2009, 13:02
I haven't used my 11X14 drum for film but I've never had a problem with my 8X10 drum. I think some very close inspection will turn up the culprit. Feel very carefully all down the drum. I'll bet there's a tiny burr or two in there that can be fixed with a little sanding. Look closely around the opening, too. That's where the likelyhood of mold flash and stuff is greatest. I don't wet the drum or film before loading. It makes the film want to stick to the drum. Just for giggles, it might be a good idea to check your film holders, too.

sa11
30-Dec-2009, 20:45
Thanks for the responses. Sanding down the inside seems to have done the trick. There was certainly a few spots that could have done the scratching, and I think those are taken care of with a little sandpaper. Thanks again.

Scott