PDA

View Full Version : scanning various types of film

e2aa
26-Dec-2009, 02:46
i have been using a lab to drum scan color negs before digitally printing and am curious how well transparencies fare when scanned vs colors negs.

what are the advantages and disadvantages for scanning both types of film? if i only print inkjet (never optical analogue route), is it advisable to go with one type of film vs the other?

thanks

Bruce Watson
26-Dec-2009, 08:22
I have been using a lab to drum scan color negs before digitally printing and am curious how well transparencies fare when scanned vs colors negs.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for scanning both types of film? If I only print inkjet (never optical analogue route), is it advisable to go with one type of film vs the other?

This has been discussed here over and over. Use the search function to find all the threads.

The short answer is: it depends. Some scanner operators do better with one vs. the other. Some scanner hardware does better with one vs. the other. Certainly some scanner software does better with one vs. the other.

I too use a scan and inkjet workflow. To me, the only advantage tranny film has is its WYSIWYG nature. Negative film gives you greater color accuracy (that's what the orange mask is about), has far greater ability to capture large subject brightness ranges (SBR), works better with a wider range of lighting (color temperature and mixed light sources both), and nearly always exhibits a lower density range (which can make it easier on the scanner hardware).

I can't remember the last time I used tranny film for anything -- gotta be six or seven years at least. In that time I've used hundreds of sheets of color negative film.

From the scanner operator's perspective (I do drum scanning for myself and others) I have to say that it's probably easier to scan trannies. The reason for this is because it's possible to ICC profile a scanner for a given tranny film. Negative films can't be profiled (density ranges vary too much sample-to-sample among other things). Profiling the scanner makes the operator's job much easier -- due to the way profiling works, all film of a certain type gets treated the same way. Negative films require that each frame be treated individually. Scanning negative films does require more time and skill from the operator IMHO.

So... it's really more about the scanner and the scanner operator than it is about the type of film. An operator who has the experience and desire and equipment can make outstanding scans from negative films. For me, the advantages of color negative film make it well worth the pursuit of someone who can scan it well. But clearly, YMMV.

sanking
26-Dec-2009, 09:32
I too use a scan and inkjet workflow. To me, the only advantage tranny film has is its WYSIWYG nature. Negative film gives you greater color accuracy (that's what the orange mask is about), has far greater ability to capture large subject brightness ranges (SBR), works better with a wider range of lighting (color temperature and mixed light sources both), and nearly always exhibits a lower density range (which can make it easier on the scanner hardware).

I can't remember the last time I used tranny film for anything -- gotta be six or seven years at least. In that time I've used hundreds of sheets of color negative film.

I agree with Bruce about the advantages of color negative film versus transparency, with the caveat that transparency film will probably have slightly finer grain than color negative film when comparing films of the same ASA. However, scanner and scanning technique may minimize or eliminate the grain advantage of transparency film.

As Bruce notes, color negative film is sharper, is capable of greater color accuracy, has a much wider dynamic range, and scans well with consumer flatbeds. For color transparencies a drum scanner is required for optimum results.

If you plan to make color prints on paper color negative film is by far the best choice IMO. Color transparency film only makes sense to me if a color slide is desired as the final product.

Sandy King

e2aa
26-Dec-2009, 13:55
thank you both, very helpful.

Tom Schaefer
26-Dec-2009, 16:13
Thanks for the info
What are a few of the preferred
color neg films in 4x5
Thanks
Tom

OldBikerPete
26-Dec-2009, 16:24
I agree with all of the previous observations on negative vs. transparency for scanning. I use Kodak Portra 160VC normally but have also used Fuji 160PS with little difference in final result. I scan with an Artixscan M1 and prefer the OEM software that came with the scanner. I select custom densities in that software and set each color channel (RGB channels) to the Dmax and Dmin of the film for that channel and scan at 48bits per pixel, using adjustment layers in Photoshop CS2 to correct the image using a calibrated monitor. Until arriving at the aforementioned workflow, I had the devil's own job trying to achieve a properly balanced image from negatives but now I can achieve consistent results fairly easily.

Lenny Eiger
29-Dec-2009, 10:03
i have been using a lab to drum scan color negs before digitally printing and am curious how well transparencies fare when scanned vs colors negs.

what are the advantages and disadvantages for scanning both types of film? if i only print inkjet (never optical analogue route), is it advisable to go with one type of film vs the other?

thanks

Some good comments. One final point. many labs purchased Heidelberg Tango's for their drum scanners. These scan transparencies well, but do NOT scan negatives well. If you want to scan some negs, make sure the drum scanner used is one that has a flexible aperture setting. A Premier would be a good choice if you can find someone with one. There are others, of course.

Lenny

Richard Kenward
4-Jan-2010, 17:56
Not visited here for some time but I will just add a quick line. In my opinion it does not matter what the film is because a competent drum scanner can make an excellent scan provided that the film has sufficient exposure in the case of negs. and not blown out in the case of transparency material and is sharp and clean.

A happy New Year to one and all<G>

Cheers

Richard Kenward

www.precision-drum-scanning.co.uk &
www.artisan-digital-services.co.uk

Lenny Eiger
27-Jan-2010, 16:45
can anyone provide advice regarding the proper work flow for drum scanning color negative sheet film? is fluid or dry mounting advised?

Drum scanners generally use fluid. The workflow is generally to mount the neg, preview scan, adjust with levels and curves, and scan. I use DPL, so there is an added step of making a custom film profile for each neg (returns a better histogram, generally). Some folks like raw scans, I'm not one of them. I think it has a lot to do with what software you are using, and you're abilities with the curve dialog...

Does that help?

Lenny

e2aa
27-Jan-2010, 16:51
yes, thank you. i'm just learning to drum scan.