PDA

View Full Version : Manfrotto 410 Tripod Head

dsim
25-Dec-2009, 19:04
Hi, I've noticed a bit of play or creep, possibly inherent from the gears, with the 410.

I'm using a Chamonix 8x10 and trying to decide if to go for the Ries head or stick with the 410 because of weight concerns. Using a Gitzo 1548.

Has anyone noticed any issues with this tripod head?

mikebarger
25-Dec-2009, 19:14
I couldn't use it with my Sinar F, wind to hard on it. Seems to work OK with Zone VI 4x5. Probably shouldn't use it with anything but my hassy.

OK head, but I think there has to be better for LF.

Mike

D. Bryant
25-Dec-2009, 19:46
Hi, I've noticed a bit of play or creep, possibly inherent from the gears, with the 410.

I'm using a Chamonix 8x10 and trying to decide if to go for the Ries head or stick with the 410 because of weight concerns. Using a Gitzo 1548.

FWIW, Edward Burtynksy uses the 410 for 4x5 work, though I'm not sure what he uses for 8x10.

Ken Lee
25-Dec-2009, 19:57
I use my 410 for my Sinar P, 4x5 and 5x7, with heavy lenses like a 300 Heliar. I also used it when I shot 8x10.

It required sending back for tightening a few years back, and has not given any problems since then.

I may have exceeded the capacity of the head, but all that ever happens is that it becomes hard to adjust without grabbing the camera rail for additional leverage.

dsim
25-Dec-2009, 20:16
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll work with the 410 for a trial period.

vinny
25-Dec-2009, 22:16
I got rid of mine for that reason exactly. Didn't last too long and wasn't sturdy enough for my pentax 67 shutter. Great design, poor craftsmanship.

dsphotog
25-Dec-2009, 23:20
The free play is adjustable, gently pry off one or more of the covers, to expose an allen head adjusting screw.
I find it ok for my 8x10 DD.

dsim
25-Dec-2009, 23:24
I agree with you Vinny. I've noticed movement with the camera when inserting a film holder and I'm not really sure if the camera returns to the focusing position.

Looking into purchasing Ries gear.

Thanks again for the useful advice.

dsim
25-Dec-2009, 23:29
The free play is adjustable, gently pry off one or more of the covers, to expose an allen head adjusting screw.
I find it ok for my 8x10 DD.

Yes, I found this info via Google. I might just try to see if it helps.

Frank Petronio
25-Dec-2009, 23:40
I hope it helps but I'll kick myself if it does because I sold the one I had for the same reason.

dsphotog
25-Dec-2009, 23:43
The adjustment is very easy, and will fix the slop/backlash.
The top casting is a little flexible.
I'm tempted to reinforce it with a gusset of JB Weld.

dsim
25-Dec-2009, 23:58
dsphotog, thank you. I've just completed the adjustment and while there's a considerable improvement, there is some play left in all axes. A shame cause I like everything else about the 410.

Ginette
26-Dec-2009, 01:10
I have also that combinaison 410 head with Gitzo Mountaineer that I use for digital and medium format but dislike very much for large format even 4x5.
You will feel more secure with a Majestic head (1600-1900 models) that can probably be found easlily on Fleabay for 50-60$ if you are patient. Very smooth gearhead with 6"x7" platform. But pretty heavy if weight is your main concern.

dsphotog
26-Dec-2009, 01:45
I may have tightened mine a bit to excess....There isn't any play, but it is a little hard to turn the knobs.
My 1st 8x10 was a Calumet C-1, I used a Majestic head with it...... A very heavy combo!
I switched to a Deardorff & a 410 head.... While not perfect, a lot lighter!
As I mentioned I plan on attempting making the upper casting more rigid.

vinny
26-Dec-2009, 07:18
I hope it helps but I'll kick myself if it does because I sold the one I had for the same reason.

been there. done that. still sloppier than a fat third grader. sold it.

mikebarger
26-Dec-2009, 07:22
It's a good head for my Hasselblad gear. Don't they make a larger version of this head?

Mike

dsim
26-Dec-2009, 07:43
Yeah, the 405 and 400.

Bert Hillebrand
26-Dec-2009, 07:52
I may have tightened mine a bit to excess....There isn't any play, but it is a little hard to turn the knobs.
My 1st 8x10 was a Calumet C-1, I used a Majestic head with it...... A very heavy combo!
I switched to a Deardorff & a 410 head.... While not perfect, a lot lighter!
As I mentioned I plan on attempting making the upper casting more rigid.

Hi,
Could you explain how you could make the upper casting more rigid?
Cheers,
Bert Hillebrand

Kevin Crisp
26-Dec-2009, 08:36
If the problem is mechanical slop, sometimes it goes away if you put some pressure on the knobs in the counter clockwise rotation. In other words, don't let just the spring lock it after you make an adjustment, give it a little encouragement too. That worked for me. I think 8x10 with this head is likely using it beyond its capabilities.

Stephen Lewis
26-Dec-2009, 09:01
First, prise off the covers and nip up the allen headed bolts visible. Second, when using the head it pays to nip up the coarse adjustment knobs i.e. tighten anti-clockwise when the framing is complete.

Every few years, I dis-assemble the head and turn the gears around a few teeth on the worm drives. Constant usage in the same limited range of gear teeth creates a little wear and tear, so it does it good to move the gears on a few teeth.

I've had my head ten years, using with both LF and my RB67. It's had many knocks and taken the full brunt of the British seasonal weather. It's a great bit of kit, solid as a rock, but, like anything else, benefits from a service now and again.

dsim
26-Dec-2009, 09:01
If the problem is mechanical slop, sometimes it goes away if you put some pressure on the knobs in the counter clockwise rotation. In other words, don't let just the spring lock it after you make an adjustment, give it a little encouragement too. That worked for me. I think 8x10 with this head is likely using it beyond its capabilities.

Tried that too Kevin. Even though I've seen a number of 8x10 cameras on the 410 head I agree with your assessment.

Stephen Lewis
26-Dec-2009, 09:02
First, prise off the covers and nip up the allen headed bolts visible. Second, when using the head it pays to nip up the coarse adjustment knobs i.e. tighten anti-clockwise when the framing is complete.

Every few years, I dis-assemble the head and turn the gears around a few teeth on the worm drives. Constant usage in the same limited range of gear teeth creates a little wear and tear, so it does it good to move the gears on a few teeth.

I've had my 410 head ten years, using with both 5x4 and 10x8 LF and also my RB67. It's had many knocks and taken the full brunt of the British seasonal weather. It's a great bit of kit, solid as a rock, but, like anything else, benefits from a service now and again.

Brian Ellis
26-Dec-2009, 09:07
I've been using a 410 head for many years, it's always worked fine with my 4x5s (up to 6+ lbs), Pentax 6x7, and Canon 5D digital camera. I don't think I'd use it for 8x10 though, that seems a little heavy

dsim
26-Dec-2009, 09:09
Stephen, I've tightened all of the allen bolts and coarse adjustment knobs. There is some play or creep left.

Fred L
26-Dec-2009, 10:32
Like others, a great head for mf and 4x5 but my Zone Vi 8x10 wasn't happy perched in top. I like the Ries head for the big boy although the 405 is mighty tempting.

Kirk Gittings
26-Dec-2009, 10:49
I've used one for many years for 4x5 and 35 DSLR-heavy, heavy use in my commercial architectural photography business. They work fine for those systems and yes do need some adjustment every couple of years, same as most other heads, but the best lightweight, reasonably priced head I have found for architecture.

dsim
26-Dec-2009, 10:49
Like others, a great head for mf and 4x5 but my Zone Vi 8x10 wasn't happy perched in top. I like the Ries head for the big boy although the 405 is mighty tempting.

Fred, that's what I've found. The 410 is fine with my Mamiya RB67, but is not solid with a Cham 8x10 and Schneider Symmar-S 300mm.

dsim
26-Dec-2009, 11:26
I've used one for many years for 4x5 and 35 DSLR-heavy, heavy use in my commercial architectural photography business. They work fine for those systems and yes do need some adjustment every couple of years, same as most other heads, but the best lightweight, reasonably priced head I have found for architecture.

Kirk, I probably read every 410 thread before I made the purchase and did see in a previous thread where you highly recommended it. The 410 is very solid on my medium format camera and a joy to use. I've also seen a lot of 8x10's on this tripod head. While there is lot less play or creep thanks to the advice given on this forum, it seems a little unstable with a heavy lens.

Having invested so much into large format I'd rather get a better performing tripod head.

Your architectural photography is inspiring.

Kirk Gittings
26-Dec-2009, 11:49
Thanks for the kind words. Yes I find it very serviceable for 4x5 and under and many photographers I respect use it too like some of the guys at Hedrich-Blessing. Good luck with whatever you choose. One should have confidence in their equipment.

Curt
26-Dec-2009, 15:15
I have one but for some reason one of the axis tilt knobs is very stiff and difficult to turn. I use it for up to 5x7 with a Kodak 2D, it's perfect for a field 4x5 and portable with no handles sticking out. I originally thought it would loosen up a bit but it never did. I like it though now that I'm use to it. It's better to turn a knob and get a small adjustment than to loosen a handle and have to adjust with the entire load.

Ken Lee
26-Dec-2009, 17:53
"It's better to turn a knob and get a small adjustment than to loosen a handle and have to adjust with the entire load".

Exacty - That's one of the advantages of geared movements.

With some handle-based heads, the position changes as you tighten the handle, so you never get things quite right: you have to guess it right or try again.

It's helpful being able to dial-in all adjustments... as you can with a fully-geared camera like a Sinar P ;)

Eric Biggerstaff
26-Dec-2009, 19:41
I have been using this head for a few years now on 4X5 and 5X7 and find it excellent. I know some people have had issues but mine has worked great. I know many photographers who use and like them, but there are many great heads out there so I hope you find one that works well for you.

Kirk Gittings
26-Dec-2009, 21:50
Actually if I remember correctly it was Eric and Merg Ross (two fantastic photographers) that convinced me to buy my first 410 and I am forever thankful for that recommendation.

Merg Ross
26-Dec-2009, 22:41
Actually if I remember correctly it was Eric and Merg Ross (two fantastic photographers) that convinced me to buy my first 410 and I am forever thankful for that recommendation.

Kirk and Eric, all best wishes for 2010!

dsphotog
26-Dec-2009, 23:34
Anyone using a 405 head?

Tony Lakin
27-Dec-2009, 02:50
Anyone using a 405 head?

Hi
I use both 405 and 410 heads, the 410 for formats up to 5x4 and the 405 for 8x10, they both do their jobs extremely well, I have no issues with either of them, I have also used the 410 for my 8x10 Canham (metal) with lightweight standard or wide angle lenses on the odd occasion, not ideal but do-able with care.

dsim
27-Dec-2009, 09:17
I have also used the 410 for my 8x10 Canham (metal) with lightweight standard or wide angle lenses on the odd occasion, not ideal but do-able with care.

Agreed.

Other 8x10 shooters use the 410 and are able to get sharp photos. The head works even with a slight flex. I guess it's usage would depend on the user's level of confidence in the 410.

I would not hesitate to use the 410 with a 4x5 or 5x7 system.

8x10, heavy lens, long extension, I'm not so sure.

mikebarger
27-Dec-2009, 10:07
That seems to be the general consensus, you can use it with heavy wind catching cameras, but it is beyond the design application.

It is a credit they built that much extra into a MF/4x5 head.

Mike

dsim
27-Dec-2009, 10:14
It is a credit they built that much extra into a MF/4x5 head.

Mike

Great point.

pocketfulladoubles
27-Dec-2009, 18:10
My 410 is very solid. I would have to imagine you could exchange yours or have it serviced. It doesn't sound right.

Kirk Gittings
27-Dec-2009, 21:18
Kirk and Eric, all best wishes for 2010!

Thanks Merg, back at you. I have been visiting my brand new granddaughter for the holidays!

Merg Ross
27-Dec-2009, 21:31
Thanks Merg, back at you. I have been visiting my brand new granddaughter for the holidays!

Congratulations, Kirk! Your life has taken on a new dimension, and if your experiences mirror mine, you will have a lot of fun and good times in your future. Enjoy!

B.S.Kumar
28-Dec-2009, 02:18
Anyone using a 405 head?

I have a 405 that I use with a Sinar C and a Betterlight back. Rock solid in all conditions.

Kumar

Eric Biggerstaff
28-Dec-2009, 08:17
Thanks Merg and my best to you and Kirk as well.

Kirk - A new granddaughter! That is terrific!

mandoman7
5-Jan-2010, 14:33
I'm very fond of my 410. Its a bit heavy, but the geared approach is great for lining things up and I don't know of any other heads that offer that feature. Like most Bogen stuff (I have many clamps and stands by them) the quality of the metal and machining is in keeping with the relatively low cost, but serviceable. I've replaced parts on my 3036 outfit many times.

In that regard, I recently broke the release lever on my 410, the grey colored knob used for releasing the camera. I've googled and gotten lost in drawings at their website, does anyone know of a good parts source?

dsphotog
5-Jan-2010, 17:31
Hi John,
The Bogen parts phone # is (201)818-9500 ext 244
Just call & tell them what you need...

or email parts@bogenimaging.com

They are very helpful, I've always been surprised how inexpensive their parts are.

David Silva
Modesto, Ca

mandoman7
6-Jan-2010, 10:10
Thanks David.

axer
7-Jan-2010, 13:30
Could anybody post a quick how-to with pictures of servicing Manfrotto/Bogen 410 head? I do have one which is not as stable as it supposed to be, but I have no idea how to fix it (especially how to look inside the geared mechanism). Thanks in advance.

Keith Tapscott.
7-Jan-2010, 14:43

I have a 410 head on my Manfrotto 055 tripod and it`s works fine with my Mamiya RZ 67 and MPP 5x4. For my 8x10 monorail, I use a Manfrotto 058 tripod with a 229 head. It`s a heavy devil, but it does the business with an 8x10. It`s not much fun for hiking with though.

axer
11-Jan-2010, 10:57
Could anybody post a quick how-to with pictures of servicing Manfrotto/Bogen 410 head? I do have one which is not as stable as it supposed to be, but I have no idea how to fix it (especially how to look inside the geared mechanism). Thanks in advance.

OK, I've just figured it out. It is easy when you know that you need to remove those paper Manfrotto labels.

Cleaned and greased head works way better, but stil I do not think it is rigid enough to be used with Horseman LE45. I am going to relpace it with Manfrotto/Bogen 160, 808RC4 or 029 head, since I am not a fan of ball heads for LF photography.