PDA

View Full Version : Packard Shutter

Diane Maher
24-Dec-2009, 11:46
I was just looking at the Packard Shutter site and didn't see the shutter that I have behind one (maybe more, I can't say this instant) of my lenses. The shutter has two pistons, one on either side of the hole. What type is this? I saw the photos on the Packard site and these weren't listed. I am just wondering.

Andrew
24-Dec-2009, 12:45
sounds like a discontinued "number 8", one piston for the B or T function and a second plunger for the "I" function

http://www.apug.org/forums/244867-post13.html

Diane Maher
24-Dec-2009, 14:08
Thanks. Do they typically include a plug for a studio light or do you think that was added later? This shutter was used on a studio camera. I have the light that plugs into the socket on the front of the lens board.

Gene McCluney
24-Dec-2009, 14:27
Packard shutters are/were available with or without flash sync. (The plug you mention is an addition by whoever mounted the shutter on the lensboard).

Diane Maher
24-Dec-2009, 22:47
Does the Packard Shutter company repair their shutters? I am not sure whether this one works. When using the lens, I make sure that the Packard shutter remains open and just use the lens shutter for making photos. It might just be the tubing that doesn't work, but I'm not sure.

SteveKarr
25-Dec-2009, 02:42
I just sold a Packard 8 a few days ago to a member here. It is a great & fast way to work. One bulb opens, focus, other bulb fires at 1/2-1/15 depending on how hard you squeeze. The strobe fires at the "down" of the shutter cycle.

I can't see why they aren't all 2 bulb...

Mine is pending payment. So Love those packards~~

eddie
25-Dec-2009, 04:36
I can't see why they aren't all 2 bulb...

many are the #6. they have a small hole where you insert a pin. this pin controls B and Instant. (with the pin inserted it is Inst). so you have the same capabilities but you only need one tube, hole for the tube, and one bulb.

eddie

Gene McCluney
25-Dec-2009, 21:47
Does the Packard Shutter company repair their shutters? I am not sure whether this one works. When using the lens, I make sure that the Packard shutter remains open and just use the lens shutter for making photos. It might just be the tubing that doesn't work, but I'm not sure.

I have to say, if-it is all there-it doesn't wear out. Just take it apart gently and clean it, and then rub some graphite into both sides of the blades...assemble, make sure the piston is clean and dry, and it should work like a new one.

In general the ONLY reason they stop working is the piston gets gummed up in the cylinder, or the blades get so dirty they don't slide easily enough. It is not a precision instrument.