PDA

View Full Version : using paper as neg..?

Steve M Hostetter
23-Dec-2009, 12:02
Hello,,

I'd like to know if you can use Ilford multigrade 1V FB fiber paper as a neg and if not what papers make the best for this application

if usable: iso rating, process in Dektal like print..?

thx, and happey holidays

Oren Grad
23-Dec-2009, 12:21
One of the glossy RC papers is likely to be a better bet - more translucent and less textured base, easier to keep flat and to print with good contact.

Hal Hardy
23-Dec-2009, 12:24
You have to use RC paper as the fiber in fiber paper messes with the image when you make the print. You also can't use papers like Kodak that print their name on the back. Try ISO 6 and processing is like any paper.

rknewcomb
23-Dec-2009, 12:29
One note about paper negatives. When judging the exposure, remember to do so by transmitted light. The temptation is to look down (at the print) in the fix tray or later on a table, but your final print will be made by transmitted light.
The thickness of the paper does not really matter since most likely you're going to be printing with a strong enough light to burn through it with ease.

jnantz
23-Dec-2009, 13:53
hi steve

i use paper as a negative more than film these days.
i usually rate it at about asa 3 or so
and process it in ansco 130 that is partially exhausted to tame the contrast.
shooting scenes that are not contrasty helps as well ;)

as long as you aren't enlarging the negative ( some folks put the paper in their enlarger and make enlargements ... )
fiber paper works fine for contact prints.
you can use a regular enlarger, or if you use a flood light like you would for making
silver chloride contact prints that works well too.
paper negatives are tricky -
you don't want one that is the full tonal range as you would try to make a film negative.
a dense paper negative will make a light paper positive / inverted scan
something on the lighter / thinner side allows you to make a print
that has a fuller tonal scale.
if you are using fbmg paper you can also put an enlarging filter infront of your lens
to tame the contrast, but don't forget you will have to compensate your
exposure about 1.5 +/- your metered reading ... AND
since paper reads blue light your light meter might be off a bit for your exposure ..

have fun!

john

SteveKarr
23-Dec-2009, 15:14
Good Info John, Thanks~

My paper neg. scheme is pretty easy too:

Ilford IV mutli contrast paper
Med / Heavy yellow filter over lens for daylight / strobe exposures.
About 2 asa is right
Half-dead Dektol is good, Selectol Soft if you still have any is My choice. Photo Formulary makes a brew.

Flash to """Just""" the point you start to see density.

I enlarge mine ... takes a bit of time thou ... at 1000 watts none the less.

Enjoy.

Steve

Steve M Hostetter
23-Dec-2009, 18:08
Hello and thanks fellas..!

I did one already on some Ilford RC gloss multigrade and it only took me three exposures to get an image..
The last image shows good detail and it took 10-pops 1600/ws through each of 2 heads from 4' using an aperture of around f3.5

regards
steve

Nathan Potter
23-Dec-2009, 20:36
Why not print the positive from the paper negative using an opaque projector. Of course you would be limited to a short range of reflection density from an illuminated white surface but that may be OK for some applications. You'd have to shield stray light, but that should not be too difficult. Anyone try this?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jack Dahlgren
24-Dec-2009, 10:03
Opaque projectors need to be carefully aligned in order to prevent keystoning. Probably easier to scan and invert if you want something off the front surface.

Once you get to that pointI think you have lost the simplicity of the process though.