PDA

View Full Version : The Lowly Versar....

Jim Galli
21-Dec-2009, 18:46
Consider that the Wollensak Versar of 90 years ago was the same general arrangement as the mighty Pinkham Smith Visual Quality Serie IV but it is f6, not f4. Does it come close? Can we even mention the glamourous movie star and the 7-11 clerk in the same sentence?

You're in luck! I did some shots with a lovely little Versar (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Versar/Versar.html) yesterday on 6 1/2 X 8 1/2" format, wide open of course. You can draw your own conclusions. :D:D

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Versar/Versar.html

Jon Wilson
22-Dec-2009, 00:01
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the Versar. It definitely has a nice quality and lots of coverage for a relatively small lens. I happened to have a Versar which is labeled on the barrel as a "Wollensak Versar Portrait and View 8x10" f6 and just picked up another "Versar" which like yours is branded on the barrel by Northern Photosupply Co. The cells are interchangeable between the barrels. The wolly labeled Versar is in a Studio Shutter No. 1, while the local labeled Versar cells are installed a Studio Shutter Style B No. 1 shutter.

Now I got to get out and try them. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy Holidays. Jon

Lachlan 717
22-Dec-2009, 13:49
There are currently 3 of these going on eBay.

Well, when I say going, I doubt they'll go, given the cheapest is US$720.

Maybe you've bumped the prices up with your post, Jim!!

Jim Galli
22-Dec-2009, 13:52
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the Versar. It definitely has a nice quality and lots of coverage for a relatively small lens. I happened to have a Versar which is labeled on the barrel as a "Wollensak Versar Portrait and View 8x10" f6 and just picked up another "Versar" which like yours is branded on the barrel by Northern Photosupply Co. The cells are interchangeable between the barrels. The wolly labeled Versar is in a Studio Shutter No. 1, while the local labeled Versar cells are installed a Studio Shutter Style B No. 1 shutter.

Now I got to get out and try them. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy Holidays. Jon

There are currently 3 of these going on eBay.

Well, when I say going, I doubt they'll go, given the cheapest is US$720.

Maybe you've bumped the prices up with your post, Jim!!

Thanks Jon.

I doubt it too. I paid $73 bucks for the one I took the pics with.

Benjamin Lewando
11-Sep-2010, 11:04
I just got an 8X10 Versar in a sticky but solid Regular shutter. Not hoping for a portrait lens. I love the look of many period images that I assume must be taken with RR's (late 19th century that don't look (to me) like Petzval shots), particularly the John Thompson shot of an old woman in a doorway from the Street Life in London/ The Crawlers, book of 1877. Does anyone have an opinion on my hope and assumption that this versar might be able to render in similar fasion? Any suggestions on fixing this super simple two bladed shutter? I've successfully worked on simple dial sets before, but not air types. I'm also wondering what the focal length is, I'm guessing it's around 14" but haven't mounted it yet. Jim, I love looking at your site, not only is it better (in my opinion) than 100 pounds of lens books, but it's a warm place to visit as well. I look forward to any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have. Ben

Jay DeFehr
11-Sep-2010, 11:50
I was hoping to see the Versar f6 pics alongside the P&S @f6 pics, so I could make the comparison. It seems there's a set of images missing from this post.

CCHarrison
12-Sep-2010, 05:56
In 1908, Wollensak brought to market the "Versar f/6" lens, for "portraits, groups and landscapes." In 1911, their advertising changed the name to the "Versar Portarit and View f/6" lens - a "moderate priced, all-around lens." By 1920, I see ads referring to the lens as just the "Versar f/6" again.

In any event, the lens was never sold as a Soft Focus lens per se, but in fact does behave like one, especially wide open. Another feature of the lens is that its a convertible.

When supplied in barrel, the Versar was initially finished in lacquered brass - in 1916, the catalog mentions that they are now "finished in black barrels."

I also see references to a Versar Series IV lens, but I dont know how this differs from the "regular" Versar.

1910 ad attached on left and 1916 catalog page from Sean's site in middle and a pic of a Series IV Versar from kevincameras on far right

Dan