PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Ken Lee
20-Dec-2009, 12:43
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/5x7.jpg
5x7 TMY, Pryrocat HD
Sinar P, 250mm Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar

5x7: What's not to love ?

Even the humblest of scanners can make you a great image at 11x14 or larger, with no grain/noise, smooth tonality, and wonderful resolution.

Nathan Potter
20-Dec-2009, 14:03
Ken, splendid rendition. I particularly like the way you've assigned the lightest part of the image to the sharpest focus then let the softness of the remaining place the whole in context. Kind of transports me back to the Hancock Shaker village outside Pittsfield.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

sanking
20-Dec-2009, 14:14
Ken,

Wonderful. Beautiful tones and composition.

Indeed, 5X7 is hard to beat. To my taste it is the sweet spot of all sweet spots.

Sandy King

venchka
20-Dec-2009, 14:34
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto.

So why aren't we all using 5x7? Why aren't all emulsions available in 5x7?

What should I sell to move to 5x7? Right. My 4x5 cameras and holders. Most of the lenses should be ok. Nope. Only 2.

sanking
20-Dec-2009, 15:16
Here is one. An indoor/outdoor look with a scene of very high contrast.

Original negative was 5X7 TMY developed in Pyrocat-HD. Shot with 105 mm Fujinon SD.

Subject is the Ex-Seminary of the Jesuits in Morelia, Mexico, from the second floor.

Sandy

Ken Lee
20-Dec-2009, 15:30
"What should I sell to move to 5x7?"

Don't sell. Just get some cheapo stuff. Finding lenses which cover adequately is not always a problem, since many which cover 4x5, can handle 5x7. And its only an issue if you shoot at infinity. Even "junky" vintage lenses which nominally cover 4x5, will cover all the way to 8x10 at 1:1.... and for 5x7, one-to-one is pretty large ! Those junky vintage lenses perform a lot better when you enlarge them a lot less. And you can use a BetterScanning holder on an Epson scanner - something you can't do with 8x10.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/Kodak2ADec09.jpg

Richard Ritter put a new red bellows on this old 5x7 Kodak 2A, which I found at an auction. The camera was way-cheaper than even a Chinese copy of a copy of a 4x5. It's still working today, shown here at my posh "studio": a chair next to the window, a potted plant, and some black cloth from the fabric store.

I bought some 5x7 holders from Eddie for a great price. The lens which came with the camera was an old 190mm Bausch&Lomb Tessar, which I presumed was junk. I didn't have a clue.

Scanning 2400 spi - even only 8 bit b&w, this 1930's wooden box from Rochester is a 200 Mebagyte monstah !

Ken Lee
20-Dec-2009, 15:37
"Subject is the Ex-Seminary of the Jesuits in Morelia, Mexico"

Never mind the huge brightness range, which is remarkable in itself: Man, that has the feeling of the place ! The tired agedness of everything, the power and clarity of the sun, the mystery.

Years ago, I resided in two monasteries in Mexico. Your photo brings back a flood of memories.

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2009, 15:44
Steve Simmons praised the 5X7 format for many years. Not many people paid attention to what he was saying.

Recently, Steve began using the 7"x17" format. He has been writing a series of articles on the Ritter 7"x17" camera. Now, that's a format that can present a real challenge for obtaining film and holders, not to mention cameras.

I finally began to use my Canham Traditional in the 5x7 mode, and I agree that 5x7 is the "sweet spot". Should have listened to Steve a long time ago.

I will soon be selling my 8x10 Canham Traditional. Too much to haul around.

I just searched the B&H website. They list eleven 5x7 B&W negative films. One 5x7 color transparency film, and one 5x7 color negative film. And that's only one of several dealers out there.

Songyun
20-Dec-2009, 16:45
I just searched the B&H website. They list eleven 5x7 B&W negative films. One 5x7 color transparency film, and one 5x7 color negative film. And that's only one of several dealers out there.
B&W is not a big problem here, but color film is.

Gem Singer
20-Dec-2009, 17:41
I understand the difficulty obtaining color film for the 5x7 format.

However, it's the ideal format for those of us that use B&W film and develop it ourselves.

Color sheet film, whether transparency or negative, is expensive to purchase and process at a commercial lab (assuming that you can still find a lab that processes sheet film).

Whenever I shoot color, I use 120 roll film or a digital camera.

If you insist on shooting LF in color, use 4x5.

Songyun
20-Dec-2009, 17:53
I understand the difficulty obtaining color film for the 5x7 format.

However, it's the ideal format for those of us that use B&W film and develop it ourselves.

Color sheet film, whether transparency or negative, is expensive to purchase and process at a commercial lab (assuming that you can still find a lab that processes sheet film).

Whenever I shoot color, I use 120 roll film or a digital camera.

If you insist on shooting LF in color, use 4x5.

for me, I have jobo 3005, I process b&w and e-6 myself. so process is not a big problem,
Currently I scan 45, contact print 810. I guess that I can contact print 57 and scan 57.
If I decide to build darkroom, I would likely get a 45 enlarger, although 57 enlarger is not too big, but there are much more 45 enlarger than 57 enlarger.

henrysamson
20-Dec-2009, 17:56
5x7 FP4+, PCHD, Azo in amidol

This is my first scan and posted photo (am I digital now?) so I am not sure how it will come out but I thought I'd give it a try. I just put the mounted print on the platen and then cut out the image. I saved a little of the mount around the edges. Any suggestions on how to do this better will be appreciated

I put the 8x10 down a little over a year ago and have been shooting 5x7 and since it is so portable (portability being a relative thing) I have done a ton of work. I am convinced that a 5x7 and contact printing may be the least expensive way to get into large format. 5x7 prints are just amazing.

Kirk Gittings
20-Dec-2009, 17:57
Ken,

Doesn't this thread belong in the new Image Sharing and Discussion Forum?

Ken Lee
20-Dec-2009, 17:59
Oops - You're certainly right !

jnantz
20-Dec-2009, 18:44
coffeebeans, in espresso
processed in gut-rot coffee
printed on azo+ansco130

Allen in Montreal
20-Dec-2009, 19:58

5x7: What's not to love ? ..........

:)

I bought my first 5x7 in '92 and loved it.
Everyone around me thought it was foolish.
It is a format that just feels a little more natural to me than 4x5 does.
It is nice to see the format get a little more respect now than it did in the "Hey Day" of film, at least here in North America, the Europeans realized the beauty of 5x7 long before, Christopher Broadbent is a perfect example.

A friend of my dad's, who was a big portrait guy here in MTL and had always preferred 5x7 and 5x8 shot on an 8x0 camera with a reduction back, he claimed the negs were always better when using a reduction back then a 5x7 on a 5x7 camera. I would love to hear from the elders (or anyone with extensive experience with R.B.) who may have shot extensively with reduction backs, any truth to this?

I have posted this before, but I could never scan 5x7 negs until very recently and have very few to show.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/4943/door76x.jpg

venchka
20-Dec-2009, 21:00
... I am convinced that a 5x7 and contact printing may be the least expensive way to get into large format. 5x7 prints are just amazing.

Now they tell me.

Hank,

Thanks for the 4x5 Efke film! You gave it to Lee who gave it to me. I will put it to good use in the New Year.

eddie
20-Dec-2009, 21:36
oh baby! great idea. i shoot 5x7 collodion images most often. oh boy!

1st is a clear glass ambrotype (CGA)

David Karp
20-Dec-2009, 23:21
I think I posted it before, but I like this one. Grizzly Falls in Sequoia National Forest. Camera: Improved Seneca Whole Plate with 5x7 reduction back. Lens: 450mm Fujinon C. Film: Arista.edu Ultra 200 @100, developed in Thornton 2 Bath. Scanned flat on the glass emulsion side down on an Epson 4870, then flipped.

Jim Galli
21-Dec-2009, 00:59
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Workshop09Images/2OOilCans.jpg
2 oil cans

I've really really enjoyed the 5X7 Speed that I had Fred Lustig restore this year. Put a soft focus lens up front and let the rest of the crap fall as it may.

csant
21-Dec-2009, 01:35
5x7 was my entry point to contact printing - and after I got an "ex-Galli" 5x7 Charten camera, it became my preferred option for shooting out on a hike: the camera is thinner and about as heavy as my 4x5, so there is no reason not to lug that one around: cherry wood, 21.5 x 21.5 x 5.5 cm, 1.6kg! As a matter of fact, this last summer I was three months in the high arctic with only this camera.

http://csant.info/north/003.jpg

More images from that trip at my site (http://csant.info/north/) and at Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/csant/sets/72157622349224498/).

Stephen Willard
21-Dec-2009, 03:26
I have been shooting 5x7 for about 9 years, and I love it. Initially, I was thinking about switching to 8x10, but I found a website that posted an extreme cropped enlargement of beer bottle in a room. The fellow made that cropped beer bottle photograph starting from 35mm all the way up to 8x10 including the Canon 16 mgp. There were many surprise in that suite of images, but the biggest one for me was that there was very little difference between 8x10 and 5x7.

All of my 4x5 lenses worked with my 5x7. With the 5x7 I can use smaller lenses, have less restricted depth of field problems, and have lighter and more portable lenses than an 8x10. So I switched to 5x7 and never looked back.

Paul O
21-Dec-2009, 03:58
I'm a relatively newcomer to 5x7 but have found that it is my ideal format. I use a Walker 5x7 XL Wide and shoot 5x7/13x18cms as well as 120 roll with a Canham 6x17 film back.

I've tried 5x4 as well as 10x8 but found that 5x7 fitted my style of photography much better. Finding film in the UK is a bit of a bummer! Thankfully I shoot black and white so Ilford FP4 Plus is fine!

I develop 2 sheets of 5x7 at a time in Paterson Orbital Processor (in 200ml of solution) and scan with an Epson V700 (and Betterscanning station); printing is done with an Epson 3800 and K3 inkset.

Ole Tjugen
21-Dec-2009, 04:32
I'll chime in with my old favourite, shot on 13x18cm EPP with a Linhof Technika III using a 165mm f:6.8 Schneider Angulon lens.

Most of you have seen it before. :)

http://www.bruraholo.no/images/Lodalen_GF.jpg

Chuck Pere
21-Dec-2009, 05:29
I like it also now that I have a light Anba Ikea. This is 210 Sironar.

cjbroadbent
21-Dec-2009, 06:16
I too am convinced that 5x7 (13x18 for me) is the ideal format. Once converted, I have used it for all practical work for 20-odd years. As I mentioned elswhere, there was a prejudice against 5x7 which grew from 8x10 snobbery in advertising. It seems to have the right form factor - not too floppy and yet not too small.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/Sy9yRDsgvqI/AAAAAAAACvE/qAEGWw519nU/s800/pumpkintm.jpg

Ken Lee
21-Dec-2009, 06:58
"I'll chime in with my old favourite..."

I was hoping you would :)

Donald Miller
21-Dec-2009, 06:59
Here's one from Bergamo Italy (2009). 5X7 Wisner/180 Nikkor W.

benrains
21-Dec-2009, 07:58
It's my favorite format for portraiture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/4110336953_3a51880f5f.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/4127592673_fb9c470d47.jpg

Richard Martel
21-Dec-2009, 08:17
I like the ratio of the 5x7. I really need to shoot more 5x7 and help keep film in the supply chain. This was shot with my Shen Hao 5x7 it is a bit on the heavy side that is why I'm looking for a 5x7 Anba-Ikeda. Ilford FP4, Symmar-s 210.
Thanks for looking and any critiques.

Merry Christmas, Richard

bobwysiwyg
21-Dec-2009, 08:28
Very nice shot, particularly the framing of the glacier. Where was it taken?

Ken Lee
21-Dec-2009, 08:38
Thanks for looking and any critiques.

Have you thought about increasing the "atmospheric" effect a little ? We've probably all seen it overdone at times.

You can see in Chuck's photo above, that even a touch of dark values in the foreground, makes the distance that much deeper. (His is an entirely different subject of course - but it's close at hand).

Richard Martel
21-Dec-2009, 08:41
Salmon Glacier, taken in SE Alaska. Just north of the town of Hyder, AK. Salmon Glacier maybe just across the border into British Columbia though.

Richard

Richard Martel
21-Dec-2009, 09:01
Hi Ken,

Thank you for the critique. I darkened the top of the sky abit along with the darkening of the foreground trees. I think views better. I enjoy your work and appriciate your ideas and comments.

Regards, Richard

Richard Martel
21-Dec-2009, 09:32
Hi,
In this last image (I promise) I darkened the L & R foreground hill-sides and the UL corner of the sky. The BG mountain was lightend a bit. Thanks again for the help.
Regards, Richard

Ken Lee
21-Dec-2009, 09:58
Very nice.

You might want to consider minor burning and dodging of small areas, to make things appear a little more graspable visually. It's hard to describe, but basically makes things look more 3-dimensional. For example, the clouds.

Richard Martel
21-Dec-2009, 11:17
Ken, Thanks again for the tips I worked on the clouds and details some more.

Regards, Richard

Ken Lee
21-Dec-2009, 11:31
You're most welcome !

I wish there were more critiques here: They're where the rubber meets the road.

Speaking of 5x7, QT Luong, the founder of this site, has some lovely photos and helpful info about 5x7, on this site - here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/5x7.html) and here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/qtluong/example.html).

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/yellow.jpeg
QT Luong with Canham 5x7

Curt
21-Dec-2009, 16:22
Oh my, that's the camera I've always wanted, a Canham 5X7, it's enough to make a grown man cry. I love 5x7 and have a junker Seneca 5x7 that will probably never get restored, why bother, and a clean and nicely restored Kodak 2D 5x7, the bulldog of 5x7 cameras. But the Canham is the one I have always wanted to buy, own, and use.

Curt

Matt Miller
21-Dec-2009, 19:09
After going back & forth between 4x5, 5x7, & 8x10, I've decided that 5x7 suites me best. I contact print & just love the size. Big gems.

Marko
21-Dec-2009, 21:17
Matt, I like that first one very much. There is something in it that draws the eye in and keeps it there.

h2oman
22-Dec-2009, 08:41
Yeah, Matt, the first one IS nice. (I like the second just as much, I think.) Are you familiar with the work of David Plowden? You would probably enjoy it:

http://www.davidplowden.com/

Check out the "Rural America" shots.

sanking
22-Dec-2009, 08:54
Oh my, that's the camera I've always wanted, a Canham 5X7, it's enough to make a grown man cry. I love 5x7 and have a junker Seneca 5x7 that will probably never get restored, why bother, and a clean and nicely restored Kodak 2D 5x7, the bulldog of 5x7 cameras. But the Canham is the one I have always wanted to buy, own, and use.

Curt

Curt,

The wood Canham 5X7 is a very good camera, lots of bellows and plenty of movements and reasonably compact. But you might also want to consider a Shen Hao FCL57-A if money is a consideration. It is much less expensive than the Canham and has lots of movements and bellows draw (enough for 450mm lenses, slightly less than the Canham), sets up quickly and very rigidly, and is about as compact as the Canham 57. I have owned both and on balance prefer the Shen Hao.

Sandy King

Matt Miller
22-Dec-2009, 08:55
Thank you Marko & h2oman.

I am familiar with Plowden's work and do enjoy it.

sanking
22-Dec-2009, 09:02
Here is a 5X7 image with some nice clouds. Canham 57 with Nikkor 450 lens.

The famous pictorialist Ortiz-Echagë made many Fresson prints of this subject, near Huesca in Aragon, Spain. But most of his prints with clouds are composite pictures, with the clouds printed in from other negatives. My clouds were right there in the original scene.

Sandy King

Allen in Montreal
22-Dec-2009, 09:22
Great detail in the sky Sandy,
very nice.

Donald Miller
22-Dec-2009, 10:59
Another 5X7/210 symmar. This is my one obligatory tree picture for 2009 taken in the poplar forests of northern Italy.

henrysamson
22-Dec-2009, 11:55
Curt,

The wood Canham 5X7 is a very good camera, lots of bellows and plenty of movements and reasonably compact. But you might also want to consider a Shen Hao FCL57-A if money is a consideration. It is much less expensive than the Canham and has lots of movements and bellows draw (enough for 450mm lenses, slightly less than the Canham), sets up quickly and very rigidly, and is about as compact as the Canham 57. I have owned both and on balance prefer the Shen Hao.

Sandy King

I second Sandy's endorsement. The Shen Hao FCL57-A is a great 5x7 and it is the lightest 5x7 I have ever used (except for the Charten which I owned very briefly, but it had limited movements). If you are planning to carry it on your back for any length of time, weight matters.

Hank

Ray Bidegain
22-Dec-2009, 13:36
I have a new 5x8 I have been using and these are a couple of new images I made with it. Platinum prints.

Ray

Eric Biggerstaff
22-Dec-2009, 13:53
After years of 4X5 work, I moved up to 5X7 a couple of years ago thanks to Chauncey Walden. It took me about a second to realize it was the format for me!

Here is a little aspen image from this fall.

benrains
22-Dec-2009, 16:16
I have a new 5x8 I have been using and these are a couple of new images I made with it. Platinum prints.

These are great, especially the first and last. I'm a bit envious of your 5x8. It's too bad that format is no longer a common one, but I guess it's easy enough to cut down 8x10 film.

jim kitchen
22-Dec-2009, 17:10
Dear Sandy,

I really like that image... :)

Well done.

jim k

tenderobject
22-Dec-2009, 17:34
hi guys!

i'm very inspired by this thread.. i just started LF photography a few months ago. had bought my first one here. after a long wait and time for reading and researching (o'm still doing it) i decided to get an old Ansco 5x7 with a magic lantern lens. a very nice format and i think newbies like me would love it too!

still have a few film to develop and scan. have had a few successful exposures and developed films and still learning the ropes.. had tried contact printing on 5x7 as well. not yet 100%t successful but hopefully very soon! :)

here are a few half succesfull exposures and developments that i made. some minor brightness and contrast on photoshop but never tried to clean it :P

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2754/4095227918_96818266a2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/4100396983_cb977f67eb.jpg
Ansco 5x7 with 6" Petzval Magic Lantern Lens
Efke 25 souped in parodinal (by my friend Zorkikat)

thank you guys!

Ken Lee
22-Dec-2009, 17:38
"I'm a bit envious of your 5x8"

Me too !

May I ask, what kind is it ? How did you get film holders ?

henrysamson
22-Dec-2009, 18:21
Here's one that made me wish I had a 7x17.

5x7 FP4+, PCHD, Azo in amidol

Dave Aharonian
22-Dec-2009, 18:30
Yup, give me my MQC 5x7, some FP4 or T400 and I'm a very happy camper!

Well, a beautiful model in the rainforest helps too.

Ray Bidegain
22-Dec-2009, 21:45
These are great, especially the first and last. I'm a bit envious of your 5x8. It's too bad that format is no longer a common one, but I guess it's easy enough to cut down 8x10 film.

Thank you for your kind words, turns out cutting down the 8x10 film is not too hard and I am finding the aspect ratio works very well for me.

Ray

Ray Bidegain
22-Dec-2009, 21:48
"I'm a bit envious of your 5x8"

Me too !

May I ask, what kind is it ? How did you get film holders ?

Hi Ken:

My camera is a Chamonix and I have 8 holders that came with it, it is wonderful to use and very well made I must say.

Ray

Ray Bidegain
22-Dec-2009, 21:49

Very nice Dave, I am a big fan of your work, well done.

Ray

sanking
22-Dec-2009, 22:02
Dear Sandy,

I really like that image... :)

Well done.

jim k

Thanks Allen and Jim. Those clouds were quite dramatic in real life.

Sandy

csant
23-Dec-2009, 04:36
5x8 indeed feels like a fabulous format - love the proportions, and all work I have seen in that format feels "just right". I am envious of those 5x8s, too :)

sanking
23-Dec-2009, 08:29
Here is an interesting image for folks who like symmetry and reflections.

Nagaoka 5X7 with 180mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W. Tri-X Pan in Pyro.

Sandy King

tenderobject
23-Dec-2009, 08:33
Here is an interesting image for folks who like symmetry and reflections.

Nagaoka 5X7 with 180mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W. Tri-X Pan in Pyro.

Sandy King

i love this one mr. sandy!!! very beautiful!

Donald Miller
23-Dec-2009, 10:08
Another Italian image using vanishing points for depth perspective. 5X7/90SA.

Ralph Miyashiro
23-Dec-2009, 19:25
Wind farm near Palm Springs. Dagor 210 (or protar V can't remember) ancient Korona on Efke 50 rotary processed in a D-76 clone. I've had issues with the Efke (coating problems?) and have switched to Arista (Foma). New to LF, critiques welcome.

h2oman
25-Dec-2009, 18:04
Wow! I love every image on this page. There is some very nice work coming out these days.

I don't own a 5x7, but a 5x7 crop from a 4x5 neg felt right for this shot. I went out here with the intent of shooting Mount Shasta with a telephoto. Well, by the time I drove 15 minutes from my house some clouds started moving in. You can barely make out the base of Shasta over to the left in the distance. Went from intending to aim a telephoto that way to aiming a 90 this way!

mikebarger
25-Dec-2009, 18:24
Great decision!!

Mike

Ron Bose
25-Dec-2009, 19:42

Your nudes series is simply stunning ...

Vaughn
27-Dec-2009, 17:54
"Vaughn's Shadow Takes A Vacation"

Raja 4x5/5x7 with Deardorff 5x7 back
Computar 210/6.3

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2009, 18:22
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img021b.jpg
Sinar P, 240mm APO Nikkor
5x7 HP5, Pyrocat HD

Bill Kumpf
29-Dec-2009, 06:28
Lately I have been considering upgrading from 4x5 to an 5x7. This tread just drove up the prices of used 5x7 equipment.

Emil Schildt
29-Dec-2009, 08:40
Love that format too.
here are two images - I might have posted them somewhere inanother forum, so bear with me...

Two portraits of Kristina.
first using a verito wide open.

http://static.phosee.dk/pictures/00000079/136-eksperimentering-med-objektiver_800x600.jpg

next using an OLD Dallmeyer meniscus type landscape lens (using the lens part alone to get the full softness)

http://static.phosee.dk/pictures/00000079/165-dallmeyer_800x600.jpg

Joe Forks
29-Dec-2009, 10:05

very nice! stunning even. both of them.

Best
Joe

EdWorkman
30-Dec-2009, 13:23
What?? No comments like oooo aaaaah?
Ken's flowers are incredible, delicate tones...

Joerg Krusche
30-Dec-2009, 14:19
ken,

whenever I am viewing your your images .. I can barely take my eyes off them .. tones and tonality be it stills, people or landscape .. just outstanding !! I am impressed !!

joerg

sanking
30-Dec-2009, 14:29
What?? No comments like oooo aaaaah?
Ken's flowers are incredible, delicate tones...

That kind of work is just par for the course for Ken. It is always characterized by those incredible delicate tones and subtlety of detail. I guess we just forget to comment because it is what we have come to expect!

Sandy King

Ken Lee
30-Dec-2009, 15:22
You guys are too kind. Many thanks. We all need encouragement !

Ben Calwell
30-Dec-2009, 16:44
Ken,
If I can just heap on the praise here, every time I think about giving up large format, you come along with a stunning image that makes me think I could never give it up.

Joe Smigiel
30-Dec-2009, 20:49
Another Verito on POP
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/POP_02.jpg

and another POP
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/POP_01.jpg

jim kitchen
30-Dec-2009, 22:20
Dear Ken,

Great image, young man... :)

What is that term you use, periodically?

Maestro?

Nicely done.

jim k

jim kitchen
30-Dec-2009, 22:57

Dear gandolfi,

Your natural talent certainly adds great value to Kristina's beauty... :)

Nicely done.

jim k

Emil Schildt
31-Dec-2009, 06:42
thanks all.

this was one of my first attempts on 13x18..
Classic pose - liquid emulsion on heavy paper - hand coloured using silk colours..

http://static.phosee.dk/pictures/00000111/119-classic-pose_800x600.jpg

venchka
31-Dec-2009, 11:10
You guys are too kind. Many thanks. We all need encouragement !

Sandy is correct. Praise somehow seems redundant. Intimidated comes to mind. In my case at least.

Consider yourself the recipient of mass quantities of encouragement.

Ken Lee
31-Dec-2009, 17:39
When my father retired, he returned to the Clarinet, an instrument he had played (well enough to put himself through school) back in the 1940's.

He found a teacher who was his age - a retired professional Clarinet player.

His teacher told him that the most important thing to work on, is Tone.

"People will enjoy just about any music you play" he said " - if the tone is nice".

ROL
1-Jan-2010, 11:24
This, to Cedric Wright from Ansel Adams, following the catastrophic fire at Adams' Yosemite darkroom in 1937:

"Worst loss is about 5,000 negatives of Yosemite. I have to start all over again with pictures for [Yosemite Park and Curry] Co., self, and studio. Insurance ample in one way and very inadequate in others. I'll get 5X7 Juwell [camera] and go after Yosemite again with a new point of view. I have to do it for ethical reasons, but I would like to live far, far away, with a few friends, on milk and crackers, and try to get myself more into the essence of things, and say some of the things I feel way down deep I have to say."

- from "The Eloquent Light", by Nancy Newhall

Happy New Year.
http://www.rangeoflightphotography.com/WalkROLCFA/SamplePix/TreeciclesBadgerPass.jpg

Ralph Miyashiro
2-Jan-2010, 08:12
Joe, I really like this one, the angles that the trees and your model creates, and I love those mushrooms!

ljsegil
4-Jan-2010, 11:12
Canham 5x7, Kodak Portra 160NC, 150mm SSXL. Dawn over Lake Michigan.
Larry

Vaughn
4-Jan-2010, 11:36
Three older 5x7 images

Scanned 5x7 prints.
Raja, w/ Deardorf 5x7 back
210mm/6.3 Computar

1) Falls, Multnomah Creek, Oregon -- carbon print
2) Two Redwoods, Emerald Creek Drainage, Redwood National Park, CA -- platinum/palladium print
3) Burnt Snag, El Capitan Meadow, Yosemite National Park -- carbon print

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2010, 12:14
I really like the first one. It feels ancient and eternal.

Vaughn
4-Jan-2010, 12:37
Thanks, Ken. The place feels that way also. Walls of basalt, ferns, conifers and the sound of water. The light flowing down the canyon and past the falls.

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2010, 13:13
I like the second one also. :) It shows a delicate beauty of the Redwoods, different from the more usual rendition of thundering majesty. Very nice !

Vaughn
4-Jan-2010, 13:35
I like the second one also. :) It shows a delicate beauty of the Redwoods, different from the more usual rendition of thundering majesty. Very nice !

Thanks again...It is a straight platinum/palladium print. I have contacted it onto silver gelatin paper, but I end up having to dodge the two dark redwoods some. The scale is difficult to determine in the photo. The two dark redwoods are probably 15 feet in diameter where they emerge from the foreground.

Mike Castles
4-Jan-2010, 16:23
Love 5x7 format, which is why I love 7x11 (ratio is quite close)...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5mQjiruUDT0/S0J32OG7DlI/AAAAAAAAAnY/qcMPHtKt-k8/s512/st_Pauls_Privatev2.JPG

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2010, 17:44
Hmmm... if we take 1/2 an inch off of each dimension, to accommodate the film film edge, then 7x11 becomes 6.5 x 10.5 - a ratio of 1:0.619 - within a thousandth of the Golden Ratio. That's my kind of... neighborhood !

Do you purchase 11x14 film and cut it in half ? Which cameras take 7x11 film ?

Oren Grad
4-Jan-2010, 18:46
Which cameras take 7x11 film ?

I own an Eastman and a Korona in 7x11. Others here have had new 7x11 cameras built by Chamonix and by Richard Ritter. And if I recall correctly, Butch Welch built a multiformat camera with a 7x11 back among others. I have no idea where it ended up whan he sold it.

Anyone know of cameras from any other manufacturers?

Film comes from the Ilford special order, of course. :)

Joe O'Hara
4-Jan-2010, 19:06
"What should I sell to move to 5x7?"

Don't sell. Just get some cheapo stuff. Finding lenses which cover adequately is not always a problem, since many which cover 4x5, can handle 5x7. And its only an issue if you shoot at infinity. Even "junky" vintage lenses which nominally cover 4x5, will cover all the way to 8x10 at 1:1.... and for 5x7, one-to-one is pretty large ! Those junky vintage lenses perform a lot better when you enlarge them a lot less. And you can use a BetterScanning holder on an Epson scanner - something you can't do with 8x10.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/Kodak2ADec09.jpg

Richard Ritter put a new red bellows on this old 5x7 Kodak 2A, which I found at an auction. The camera was way-cheaper than even a Chinese copy of a copy of a 4x5. It's still working today, shown here at my posh "studio": a chair next to the window, a potted plant, and some black cloth from the fabric store.

I bought some 5x7 holders from Eddie for a great price. The lens which came with the camera was an old 190mm Bausch&Lomb Tessar, which I presumed was junk. I didn't have a clue.

Scanning 2400 spi - even only 8 bit b&w, this 1930's wooden box from Rochester is a 200 Mebagyte monstah !

Your 2A has a beautiful "used" look to it, a history of human fingers on wood and brass, like an old musical instrument. Wonderful still life to open the thread as well.

Mike Castles
4-Jan-2010, 19:08
Hmmm... if we take 1/2 an inch off of each dimension, to accommodate the film film edge, then 7x11 becomes 6.5 x 10.5 - a ratio of 1:0.619 - within a thousandth of the Golden Ratio. That's my kind of... neighborhood !

Do you purchase 11x14 film and cut it in half ? Which cameras take 7x11 film ?

As Oren mentioned film comes from the Ilford special order, though I have cut 11x14 in half. I have a Ritter 7x11 (with 8x10 back) and a Eastman 7x11 (with 8x10 and 5x7 backs - though the 5x7 is a home made that came with the camera and is not a real good fit, meaning it needs work). The Ritter (as you can read from my Rambles) is a really nice way to spend a day shooting this excellent format. Plus is, it is much like a small version of a 12x20 format.

Donald Miller
5-Jan-2010, 05:13
Cathedral/Sorrano Italy. Wisner 5X7/180 Nikkor W

Ken Lee
5-Jan-2010, 10:44
"Your 2A has a beautiful "used" look to it, a history of human fingers on wood and brass, like an old musical instrument."

Ironically, I have polished the brass - trying all the polishes available in the local hardware store - but to no avail. The parts tarnish as soon as they are exposed to the air.

Perhaps the right thing to do is remove all the parts and have them electroplated properly, and then lacquered ? I don't think they are all brass.

I forgot to mention that Richard also made a lovely Technika adapter for the camera, in wood that perfectly matches the original. He also replaced a few brass parts with new ones that work perfectly.

cjbroadbent
8-Jan-2010, 06:12
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/S0ct0muI5CI/AAAAAAAAC-w/fvvFkDUMfOw/s800/tureenS.jpg
Ektachrome 13x18 Technika 180 Sironar. Twilight series

Ken Lee
8-Jan-2010, 08:29
Kaboom !

Milosz Wozaczynski
8-Jan-2010, 11:17
One of my fav's from 5x7:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/3949733219_c3f547862b_o.jpg

Vaughn
8-Jan-2010, 11:45
The bow and saw are wonderful...fun portrait!

Here is a 5x7 salt print:

Lions
Mission San Xavier del Bac
Tucson, AZ

Raja w/ Deardorf 5x7 back, Computar 210/6.3

And with the same camera and lens, one that I have shown before, probably:

Two Rocks
Joshua Tree National Park
scanned silver gelatin contact print

Monty McCutchen
8-Jan-2010, 12:07
Milosz,

I love conceptal portraiture and this is an incredibly gifted example.

Well done.

Monty

One of my fav's from 5x7:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2647/3949733219_c3f547862b_o.jpg

csant
9-Jan-2010, 02:37
One of my fav's from 5x7

Milosz, wonderful portrait!

The bow and saw are wonderful...fun portrait!

conceptal portraiture

The musical saw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_saw) is actually a traditional musical instrument with a really beautiful sound :)

Joe Smigiel
9-Jan-2010, 21:44
Nice Milosz. I really like that portrait.

h2oman
9-Jan-2010, 22:07
Vaughn,

I love the two rocks. Simple and very effective, at least for me.

Milosz Wozaczynski
11-Jan-2010, 08:36
Thanks all. I love this image too.

Scott --
13-Jan-2010, 12:13
I posted this over to the 1st image of the year thread, but wanted to get it in on the 5x7 one, too.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/smpsweeps/keys01.jpg

Seneca Competitor 5x7, SA 121/8, Arista.EDU Ultra 100. And 10:15 in 20C caffenol-c!

MichaelT
13-Jan-2010, 14:20
here we are with new 5X7 Landscape
Plaubel 5X7 Super Angulon 90/8.0 APX100
.... have the same in 10X12, but can´t scann it ;-)
regards Michael

Dirk Rösler
26-Feb-2010, 00:44
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2775/4388706427_30e3fd24bb.jpg

My first 5x7, thanks to gear from the forum. Taken yesterday (not my house, but close). I cannot scan 5x7 well on the flatbed, so you will see Mr Newton and also a seam from the composite. Nonetheless... this is it - and it's great.

Acros 100 in Rodinal, Fujinon 180/5.6 (single coated), orange filter, Sinar

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4386900334_88dd1c28ce.jpg

Jim Galli
26-Feb-2010, 01:27
My first 5x7, thanks to gear from the forum. Taken yesterday. I cannot scan 5x7 well on the flatbed, so you will see Mr Newton and also a seam from the composite. Nonetheless... this is it - and it's great.

Acros 100 in Rodinal, Fujinon 180/5.6 (uncoated), orange filter, Sinar

Looks great. Did you mean single coated though. I've never seen a Fuji with no coating at all. My single coated Fuji is my favorite.

Dirk Rösler
26-Feb-2010, 01:38
Looks great. Did you mean single coated though. I've never seen a Fuji with no coating at all. My single coated Fuji is my favorite.

ooops, yes Jim, single. Well, that's almost none. ;)

These Fujinons with the inner lettering have a very nice quality to them, I am only beginning to appreciate them. I also have a 250/6.7 which is beautiful.

Jim Galli
26-Feb-2010, 02:03
ooops, yes Jim, single. Well, that's almost none. ;)

These Fujinons with the inner lettering have a very nice quality to them, I am only beginning to appreciate them. I also have a 250/6.7 which is beautiful.

Mine is my 125 f5.6. I also had a single coated 150 f6.3. Loved 'em both, but the 125 was the keeper. Oh, and a 180 just like yours one time. Gorgeous negs with that.

Dirk Rösler
26-Feb-2010, 02:12
I am looking for a 125 Fujinon actually, but they are not too common. The F8 has an IC of 280.

Regarding the 5x7, what amazes me most is that while you'd think that a view camera is a view camera, each of the formats really has a different character in working with them. Very surprised and that's a lot of fun. Bet it gets even more interesting on the ULF side. With 5x7 it is just as portable as 4x5 (in the same bag I had) and yet nice and big on the GG, but not as "intimidating" as a 8x10 would be. Great format.

ljsegil
26-Feb-2010, 04:35
A trio of mismatched 5x7 shots. All with Canham 5x7, first Efke 100 and 19" Red Dot Artar, second Provia, 150mm SSXL, third on Portra 160NC using a 9 1/2" Verito. The only thing they have in common is the camera and format and my ineptitude.
Larry

Vaughn
13-Mar-2010, 02:11
Valley Tours, Bridalveil Creek.
Yosemite National Park

Raja with Deardorf 5x7 back
Computar 210.6.6

cjbroadbent
13-Mar-2010, 04:26
Linhof Technika 13x18 (5x7) 180mm Sironar on Ektachrome for silk factory.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/S5k16tRbuvI/AAAAAAAAEhM/jGRRD8NBjPI/s800/Mantero.jpg

David Hedley
13-Mar-2010, 06:33
Linhof Technika 13x18 (5x7) 180mm Sironar on Ektachrome for silk factory.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/S5k16tRbuvI/AAAAAAAAEhM/jGRRD8NBjPI/s800/Mantero.jpg

Christopher - that is excellent! The light, and silky pastel colours work so well.

Allen in Montreal
13-Mar-2010, 06:51
Christopher - that is excellent! The light, and silky pastel colours work so well.

+2 !

As always Christopher,
fabulous work.

Miguel Coquis
13-Mar-2010, 08:09
Enjoy letters too !

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Letters/007.jpg

Miguel Coquis
13-Mar-2010, 08:15
I posted this over to the 1st image of the year thread, but wanted to get it in on the 5x7 one, too.

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/smpsweeps/keys01.jpg

Seneca Competitor 5x7, SA 121/8, Arista.EDU Ultra 100. And 10:15 in 20C caffenol-c!

Enjoy letters too !

miss the right thread...!

cjbroadbent
13-Mar-2010, 09:09
It's nice to see someone actually using caffenol-c for a real photograph. I keep it there on the shelf as a decoy for the eco-inspector.

Jerry Bodine
13-Mar-2010, 11:07
Enjoy letters too !

miss the right thread...!

Interesting typewriter! I've never seen one where "Q" replaces "A", and "W" replaces "Z".

Miguel Coquis
13-Mar-2010, 11:31
Interesting typewriter! I've never seen one where "Q" replaces "A", and "W" replaces "Z".

AZERTY european keyboard

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Letters/002.jpg
Mentor Kamera, Aero ektar lens...

cjbroadbent
13-Mar-2010, 11:36
QWERTZ = Swiss, AZERTY = French, QWERTY = ethnocentric Anglosaxon.
Since a qwerty keyboard is special order only we euros have to adapt.

CarstenW
14-Mar-2010, 15:49
QWERTZ is also German.

Milosz Wozaczynski
17-Mar-2010, 12:48
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6696/62392060.jpg

5x7, fomapan, ektar 178

jon.oman
17-Mar-2010, 13:11
I like it!

Jon

Findingmyway4ever
19-Mar-2010, 23:34
Another Verito on POP
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/POP_02.jpg

and another POP
http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/POP_01.jpg

A ton of gorgeous work and saw your site and others around here. I had to ask you what lens is this in this second image? It is obviously a wider angle lens, but it doesn't look quite "that wide". I'm going on a major guess that it is maybe a 120mm?

Excellent thread and if there isn't one yet, a 1/4 and whole plate thread should definitely be in the works. I personally love the 5X7/8 ratio and always a love for the even wider and panoramic ratios. Square can look good as well, but I'd definitely use 7X11 if only the DOF and ease of nailing down sharp images was as easy as 4X5 or 5X7.

Milosz Wozaczynski
29-Jul-2010, 14:07
What's up? There's nobody with a 5x7? :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4767011805_49b508d322_b.jpg

Jim Galli
29-Jul-2010, 14:25
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/MisclMenisci/LBBandCo/Stutz8S.jpg
ra

Hard to compete with naked ladies but here's the Egyptian sun god, Ra.

dasBlute
29-Jul-2010, 18:55
Hard to follow nudes AND Galli but what the heck...
recent work from Garrapata... right before the wave
tugged at the tripod leg and my medula oblongata
reacted with reptilian speed allowing me to grab the
tipping camera before it fell into the primordial ooze...

this is about 8 seconds with FP4 and a 75mm that doesn't really cover,
but is fun anyway...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4830053866_ba6f596119_o.jpg

sully75
29-Jul-2010, 21:21
My first and still my favorite 5x7 portrait. (Working a lot right now though, so hope to do better soon).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/4564936531_964a837111_b.jpg

kdoco
30-Jul-2010, 05:54
so, here is my second LF shoot ever.

Stromovka Park, Prague
Magnola 13*18 (nearly 5x7 :-) )
Belar 210
Orwo NP15
Foma Fomatone 131

http://rapelik.wz.cz/stromovka2_w.jpg

St. John under the Rock, near Prague
Mgnola 13x18
Largor 135
Foma 100

http://rapelik.wz.cz/svjps_w.jpg

monkeymon
30-Jul-2010, 08:14
so, here is my second LF shoot ever.

St. John under the Rock, near Prague
Mgnola 13x18
Largor 135
Foma 100

http://rapelik.wz.cz/svjps_w.jpg

i like the mood you have captured here! really works for me

Jim Cole
30-Jul-2010, 08:42
this is about 8 seconds with FP4 and a 75mm that doesn't really cover,
but is fun anyway...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4830053866_ba6f596119_o.jpg

I kinda want to walk into the bright light on this one. I think the small amount of vignetting doesn't hurt at all. Mesmerizing!

goamules
30-Jul-2010, 09:26
Here's a 5x7 I don't think I've posted. Wollensak WAR, Tri-x 400.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4128603618_92fb4b8534_o.png

rjbuzzclick
30-Jul-2010, 09:52
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4767011805_49b508d322_b.jpg[/QUOTE]

Awesome photograph!

bgh
30-Jul-2010, 10:17
Here's a 5x7 I don't think I've posted. Wollensak WAR, Tri-x 400.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4128603618_92fb4b8534_o.png

Very nice indeed! The stringent single-point perspective helps the viewer to keep focused on what is important despite the architectural noise in the background.

sully75
31-Jul-2010, 08:46
My Latest:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4846668782_8e017d5592_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4846050087_52a11eeedc_b.jpg

cjbroadbent
1-Aug-2010, 15:06
This is 5x7 (from a Technika) but the camera-work is made to look casual by doing a 'pebbles to horizon' front-drop and by under-doing perspective correction to make it look like a Leica shot. It has LF detail, though, as you can see from the inset.
It's built from scratch in a rented studio. Most of the props come from home. There's a weak ray of sunlight right in the axis of a cold window-light for a morning effect.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/TBC7pwa_PQI/AAAAAAAAFPU/Crx5uiJjmvU/s800/cassina2.jpg
A detail,
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/TBC7pR2mbWI/AAAAAAAAFPQ/V8A723chVKw/s400/cassina2detail.jpg

mdm
3-Aug-2010, 01:04
This is 5x7 (from a Technika) but the camera-work is made to look casual by doing a 'pebbles to horizon' front-drop and by under-doing perspective correction to make it look like a Leica shot. It has LF detail, though, as you can see from the inset.
It's built from scratch in a rented studio. Most of the props come from home. There's a weak ray of sunlight right in the axis of a cold window-light for a morning effect.

Take that, philosophers.

sully75
4-Aug-2010, 10:25
Posted this, among others, in the portrait thread, but it's a 5x7. Falling in love with the camera. I do wish it had front tilt. Still trying to figure out how to use the movements it does have.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4859984727_123c90066d_b.jpg

Ron Bose
4-Aug-2010, 10:56
Sully, that's a lovely image.

btw, how did you achieve the tone ? Was it film/scan only or toning ?

sully75
4-Aug-2010, 11:22
Thanks Ron...I'm pleased with it. I've been meaning to take that exact picture for about 2 years now and finally everything came together (my friend has been working on that bike for a long time).

It's a scan, I only print digitally. For now anyway.
I stole the toning from Brooks Jensen. I scanned it in grey scale, did all my dodging and sharpening and adjustments in photoshop and then used split toning in lightroom according to this post on Brooks Jensen's blog. First time I tried it but I really like it.
http://askbrooks.lenswork.com/2010/03/grayscale-or-rgb.html

Extremely easy doesn't hurt either.

Thanks!
Paul

Ron Bose
4-Aug-2010, 12:23
Sweet ... thanks ...

Richard Rau
4-Aug-2010, 20:55
St. Francois River Missouri Ozarks Deardorff 5x7 150mm Nikkor Lens 5x7 TXP Yellow Filter

Vaughn
4-Aug-2010, 21:24
Nice Sully!!!

I photographed today with my new-to-me 5x7 (Eastman View No.2) for the first time -- it will take awhile to get use to have no front movements (except rise/fall). And the back springs are a bit weak.

mdm
4-Aug-2010, 22:04
Nice Sully!!!

I photographed today with my new-to-me 5x7 (Eastman View No.2) for the first time -- it will take awhile to get use to have no front movements (except rise/fall). And the back springs are a bit weak.

I too photographed this week with a new to me 5x7. I am a convert. What a wonderful format. I am having exposure/development issues with a new film and development method, but as soon I have it sorted I hope to have something to post.

David

Vaughn
4-Aug-2010, 22:07
I have not used a 5x7 since mine got stolen out of my truck in 1995 (bought an 8x10 with the insurance money). This one is not as nice as the stolen one (an Indian copy of a Deardorf Special with a Deardorf back), but it fun to get back into it -- and so much smaller and light compared to the 8x10!

mdm
5-Aug-2010, 02:44
In my case it is much heavier than my little 4x5, but I love the shape and size of the negatives. I have no desire for anything larger, because I am too clumsy to make a success out out of an 8x10. The negatives would be scratched to within an inch of usability and full of fingerprints, and that is only if I did not drop them.

I understand now, how Ken gets those subtle whites. The negatives are much easier to handle on a betterscanning holder than 4x5s. You dont need much bellows extension to get to 1:1.

All I need to do is to work out how to develop them because I can't do an aceptable job in a tray except 1 sheet at a time, and in the summer I will never stay up late enough to get the darkness I need. BTZS style tubes I think, but I need some longer tube. Tomorrow.

Ken Lee
5-Aug-2010, 03:36
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img416.jpg
Sinar P, 210mm Macro Sironar
5x7 HP5+, Pyrocat HD

Steve M Hostetter
5-Aug-2010, 04:31
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/img416.jpg
5x7 HP5+, Pyrocat HD

Ken,

You do great work,, this is a fine example

sully75
5-Aug-2010, 04:32
re: developing, bessler 11x14 drum and a unicolor base are so stupidly cheap, it's worth a shot. Taco style is also very cheap and easy. Both are daylight. I just built a pretty sweet dark box, a combination of a cardboard box and an old changing bag, it makes loading and unloading holders so much easier, cleaner and more pleasant than the changing bag itself. I'll post pictures soon.

Paul

Ken Lee
5-Aug-2010, 06:07
You do great work,, this is a fine example

Thank you very much.

My 2 cents: There's a fine point of balance between abstraction and realism, and most LF photographers fall too far towards realism. The others, fall too far towards abstraction.

Now and then, we all get lucky, and hit the mark.

cjbroadbent
5-Aug-2010, 09:57
A realistic abstraction keeping wide of the mark:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/TA-Z6LjdbTI/AAAAAAAAFNE/RR6q3v97Y8g/s800/picnic.jpg

bobwysiwyg
5-Aug-2010, 10:21
Nice pic, Christopher. Now I'm hungry. :)

cjbroadbent
6-Aug-2010, 03:44
Thanks Bob.
Actually it was for Weight-watchers (see the small portions).
5x7 (13x18cm) has always been the best fit for indoor shots that are not too close. It has been (was) standard here in W.Europe for commercial photography since 1950.
The format was deprecated in advertising, where 8x10 was preferred, with 4x5 for pack-shots. I've been fighting the trend since 1970.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/TA-jkAaNlAI/AAAAAAAAFNY/OysTDIwhbyc/s800/dinner.jpg

sully75
6-Aug-2010, 04:26
Hi Christopher,

Just checked out your picasa page, a lot of interesting stuff. Is your DIY 5x7 focusable? I can't tell if it's a box within a box or what? It looks cool though. Can you give a description of it?

I would have thought you would have needed more movements to do your still life stuff, but I guess not?

Thanks
Paul

Ken Lee
6-Aug-2010, 04:55
I don't mean to imply that all realistic photos are bad, or not to my taste. Commercial and documentary photography require it. But even then, photographers and setup artists make things more idealized and painterly, via lighting, controlled color palette, soft focus, etc.

cjbroadbent
6-Aug-2010, 14:13
Ken, It's just illustration. It's not stuff you hang on the wall. We are lucky if we get a seven second viewing by the end user. Three seconds is normal for an ad page. If we can stretch it to ten seconds for an editorial, we've won.
It's like the movies - set up and lit and, we hope, telling a story.

cjbroadbent
6-Aug-2010, 15:22
Paul, It's a point-and-shoot 5x7 box for landscape. The 120mm SuperAngulon is built in with with fixed focus just short of infinity and a fixed up-shift to clear the foreground. It has spirit-levels and tripod fixtures top and bottom. The camera take a few seconds to get level and point in the right direction. I just push the stop all the way to f45 and never look through the ground-glass.
I made it because I was frustrated by the short lenses on 6x17 and 4x5 and the time it took to setup an 8x10. Not much good for still-life!

kdoco
14-Aug-2010, 06:28
Hello,

Magnola 13*18
Meyer Telemegor 400/4,5
Foma 100

http://rapelik.wz.cz/retez_am20.jpg

mdm
14-Aug-2010, 18:49
Full of dust but so be it.

ljsegil
15-Aug-2010, 15:55
It's a little late in the season to be getting around to my few spring photos, but you all know how that goes. Canham 5x7, Wollensak Vellostigmat Series II 7 1/4" at f/11, TMY2. I'm still trying to see in B&W (or at all), but I like this better than most of my ineffectual efforts.
Larry

Ken Lee
21-Aug-2010, 14:54
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img115.jpg
Rose
5x7 HP5+, DD-23

Gary L. Quay
26-Aug-2010, 19:35
Southpark Fish House, Aug 2010
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4921381643_bf0733a736_z.jpg
Deardorff 8x10 with 5x7 back; Ilford HP5+ developed in Harvey's Panthermic 777.

eddie
30-Aug-2010, 13:24
well i was at a wedding on sat....the 1st wedding i have attended as a guest only for some time....BUT i brought my big camera for some strange reason.

i thought i would give the P&S VQ a test drive. it looks like i did not get the groom in the right spot as he is a bit out of focus. (i bet he moved! lol!)

5x7 foma100 souped in pyrocat, printed on RC paper and scanned. i guess i need some more practice. i got a few more sheets to process but until then.....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4943025816_c8276f2028_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38991223@N00/4943025816/)
P&S (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38991223@N00/4943025816/) by goatbrothers (http://www.flickr.com/people/38991223@N00/), on Flickr

Ramiro Elena
1-Sep-2010, 04:05
I posted a similiar image on the Still Life thread. (trying out a couple new lenses.)
This is with a Goerz Celor 8 1/4 at ƒ5. I spent some time playing with tilt to get everything in focus until I got tired.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4948121586_7f3a267b8e_z.jpg
Please excuse the chemical stains and the terrible "scan".

Milosz Wozaczynski
28-Dec-2010, 11:40
Mentor Studio 13x18
fomapan 100

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5229511616_5f9bc8369a_b.jpg

D-tach
29-Dec-2010, 08:28
Beautiful!!!
Is this a one-light setup?

ljsegil
29-Dec-2010, 09:11
Springtime in December, why not? Canham 5x7 Traditional, Graphic-Kowa 210/9, Portra 160NC. My favorite ravine with the convenient parking lot, kit doesn't even have to leave the trunk. Critiques welcomed as always.
Larry

Ken Lee
30-Dec-2010, 06:30
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/0006a.jpg
In the Greenhouse
Kodak 2D, 240mm Fujinon A
5x7 HP5+, D-23

jonreid
30-Dec-2010, 06:52
5x7 is the only large-format I've shot since getting into it. Admittedly it was a compromise at first (large enough for pt/Pd but not so dear as 8x10) but now I've come to love it...
One of my first shoots, and yet to be printed properly...
Scanned from neg. deardorff 5x7 with (I think) Symmar 210

Ken Lee
30-Dec-2010, 07:26

Exquisite

ustas
30-Dec-2010, 07:51
Mentor Studio 13x18
fomapan 100

Like it a lot!

Michael Graves
30-Dec-2010, 08:05
5x7 is the only large-format I've shot since getting into it. Admittedly it was a compromise at first (large enough for pt/Pd but not so dear as 8x10) but now I've come to love it...

I like this one a lot. To me, it represents the best of LF. It's quiet, elegant and has the tactile quality of the big negative. Great beginning!

jonreid
30-Dec-2010, 17:53
Thanks Michael & Ken,
I noticed one day when walking with my then pregnant wife that the sun was lining up perfectly with the angle in the fence, casting that bit only into shade. I went back within two days at around the same time...
I'm also quite drawn to fences and what they say about mankind :-)

J

mdm
30-Dec-2010, 22:31
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QmQjKxnDU-c/TR1wJ-xgrdI/AAAAAAAAAoE/g3UpxmpwvEk/s1600/Scan-101231-0001-1.jpg
Shanghai GP3 in Pyrocat M.

Bill Poole
31-Dec-2010, 09:15
When I finally got into large format last month, I bought (off this board) a Deardorff with both 4X5 and 5X7 backs. In getting the know the camera, I have been using both backs, but leaning toward the 5X7 for most uses.

This one, taken last week, is of the abandoned Seaside School in San Gregorio, south of San Francisco. I have photographed this scene in medium format a half dozen times. Camera movements sure make it easier -- and you can't beat the detail of 5X7. Not sure what that flash is on the upper left -- a little flare, I guess -- I really must get a hood for that lens.

http://poolephotography.smugmug.com/Public-Galleries/5X7-B/2010120410apr5X7/1142483093_g2WiX-M.jpg

210 mm Symmar-S - FP4 - HC110 1:50

Happy New Year

Bill

Ken Lee
31-Dec-2010, 17:39
Not sure what that flash is on the upper left -- a little flare, I guess

It looks more like a light leak - Be sure to keep the back closed tightly over the holder, when removing and replacing the dark slide. One way to do this is to hold the back with one hand while removing the slide with the other.

Milosz Wozaczynski
1-Jan-2011, 08:36
Beautiful!!!
Is this a one-light setup?
Almost... second light on the background.

Bill Poole
1-Jan-2011, 10:00
Not sure what that flash is on the upper left -- a little flare, I guess

It looks more like a light leak - Be sure to keep the back closed tightly over the holder, when removing and replacing the dark slide. One way to do this is to hold the back with one hand while removing the slide with the other.

Thanks for the tip, Ken. Much appreciated.

Ken Lee
12-Jan-2011, 17:25
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img035.jpg
Amaryllis, 2010
5x7 Sinar P
HP5+, Pyrocat HD

gene LaFord
12-Jan-2011, 17:54
Wow, that's very nice Ken.

gene

Donald Miller
12-Jan-2011, 18:02
Really nice Ken

Jiri Vasina
12-Jan-2011, 23:29
Amaryllis, 2010
5x7 Sinar P
HP5+, Pyrocat HD

Ken, another of your fantastic ones...

Jiri

Ken Lee
13-Jan-2011, 04:09
Thank you very much !

msk2193
13-Jan-2011, 07:10
Arches National Park on a 5x7

http://kan.com/images/LF/Arches-NP-1---UT.jpg

Followed by Dead Horse State Park
http://kan.com/images/LF/Dead-Horse-State-Park---CO.jpg

GabrielSeri
5-Feb-2011, 15:18
These are awesome Michael! I hope to contribute some 5x7 images soon to this thread.

cjbroadbent
13-Feb-2011, 13:31
Nike in foam on 5x7. She stands 6ft and became an ad for wallpaper (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/catDqYSIoTEj-X5ANrHgEQ?feat=directlink).
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/TVgkhrq1OpI/AAAAAAAAG3I/agdNxx01kpE/s800/nikeBW.jpg

GabrielSeri
16-Feb-2011, 13:33
These are my first 3 5x7 shots. Still learning. Scanned proofsheets.

http://www.silverpiscis.com/Photography/5x7/proofsheet1.jpeg
Kodak 2D, Ilford FP4+, Caltar 180mm F5.6
http://www.silverpiscis.com/Photography/5x7/5x7Pintocopy.jpg
Kodak 2D, Ilford FP4+, Fujinon 250mm F6.3
http://www.silverpiscis.com/Photography/5x7/5x7NewTreecopy.jpg
Kodak 2D, Ilford FP4+, Fujinon 250mm F6.3

Valdecus
18-Mar-2011, 06:56
Arches National Park on a 5x7
Followed by Dead Horse State Park

Michael,

Nice images! Is the Dead Horse State Park image maybe reversed left to right?

Cheers,
Andrew

szadow
18-Mar-2011, 07:25
Old east german Globica Large Format Camera
Lens Zeiss 250/4.5
1sec f4.5 ISO 100
Film: Shanghai 100 5x7" in D76 1+1 for 12 minutes at 20°C (Jobo rotary processing)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5439836312_47e549f883_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macieklesniak/5439836312/)

Greg Y
18-Apr-2011, 19:30
Love the format! I came by a Durst 138, but mostly contact print onto Lodima and my dwindling supply of Azo.....thank you Michael S!. Sold my 8x10 and am putting the 4x10 aside after finding an ebay bargain dagor 4 3/8.(lens in the photo is the 12"gem from my friend Jay Dusard)... 1940's vintage Deardorff with original bellows & no metal tripod mounting plate...

austin granger
19-Apr-2011, 10:45
Ghost Structures, Willamette Mission

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5635399322_c16e35fa99_b.jpg

Ramiro Elena
19-Apr-2011, 11:46
Ghost Structures, Willamette Mission

Beautiful! What lens?

austin granger
19-Apr-2011, 12:29
Beautiful! What lens?

Hello. Thank you very much. I used a Deardorff 5x7 with a Fujinon W 250. The film was FP4.

austin granger
19-Apr-2011, 12:33
Oh, and the reason the trees are so blurry is because they were moving in the wind. I used an ND filter and the exposure was quite long. At the time, I wasn't sure exactly how it would turn out but I like the effect.

Cheers!

Austin

Ramiro Elena
19-Apr-2011, 14:09
Right, that's why I asked. It has a certain vintage feeling.

Gary Tarbert
19-Apr-2011, 15:46
Hi , Am i allowed to participate in this thread if i shoot 5x8 (i will crop ):) Cheers Gary

Ken Lee
21-Apr-2011, 05:10
Sure - 5x8 is close enough :)

Ken Lee
21-Apr-2011, 05:12
Here's a cropped 5x7 image:

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img038.jpg
Tulip, 2010
Sinar P, 240mm APO Nikkor
5x7 HP5+, Pyrocat HD

Gary Tarbert
21-Apr-2011, 05:42
Thanks ken , Love the the Tulip . Cheers Gary

Harold_4074
21-Apr-2011, 12:49
Sure - 5x8 is close enough

As long as it's inches, and not centimeters? :)

PolarBear1973
22-Apr-2011, 16:38
Found out two of my lenses could cover 5x7, so I bought some filmholders on ebay & some FP4. Made two 5x7 cameras, one for wide angle (w bag bellows), and one for regular. Love the format.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/PolarBear1973/Tank5x7.jpg

Schneider 210mm
f/11
left swing

Gem Singer
23-Apr-2011, 04:45
Purina Feed Mill. Ft.Worth, TX.

Canham 5x7. Ilford HP-5+ developed in Pyrocat-HD.

Gary Tarbert
24-Apr-2011, 03:44
Sure - 5x8 is close enough

As long as it's inches, and not centimeters? :)Yep inches :D , I can not post any at the moment because of a scanning issue , once that is rectified will put a few .
I will just post one i put in another thread , i can't get a sharp scan at the mo and this one was the closest but still not good , It has a oversharpened look trying to compensate for a soft scan Chamonix 5x8 Velvia Fujinon 240Ahttp://farm6.static.flickr.com/5270/5634351710_2d74e59691_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtar058/5634351710/)
shack (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtar058/5634351710/) by Gazzman5 (http://www.flickr.com/people/gtar058/), on Flickr

Solliste13
24-Apr-2011, 06:54
very pure, nice job dude

203Ektar
24-Apr-2011, 12:14
Found out two of my lenses could cover 5x7, so I bought some filmholders on ebay & some FP4. Made two 5x7 cameras, one for wide angle (w bag bellows), and one for regular. Love the format.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/PolarBear1973/Tank5x7.jpg

Schneider 210mm
f/11
left swing

Nice shot. Is this the back end of a half-track?

Jim Galli
24-Apr-2011, 12:36
Yep inches :D , I can not post any at the moment because of a scanning issue , once that is rectified will put a few .
I will just post one i put in another thread , i can't get a sharp scan at the mo and this one was the closest but still not good , It has a oversharpened look trying to compensate for a soft scan Chamonix 5x8 Velvia Fujinon 240A

I'm convinced! It looks good to me.

Ken Lee
26-Apr-2011, 14:19
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img304a.jpg
Narcissus
Kodak 2D, 180mm Fujinon SFS (Soft-Focus)
5x7 HP5+, D-23

PolarBear1973
26-Apr-2011, 16:45
Nice shot. Is this the back end of a half-track?

Thanks,

It's a tank. I tried looking it up, and I'm not sure what type it is. A half-track would make a cool picture though.

paulr
26-Apr-2011, 16:58
I think 5x7 is the coolest format, but I got nothing to post ... I've never used it.

Donald Miller
26-Apr-2011, 17:47
Galleria di Milano - Milano, Italy

5X7 - 90 mm SA

Efke Pl 100 - Pyrocat HD
JandC Nuance - MAS Amidol

Curt
26-Apr-2011, 18:11
Galleria di Milano - Milano, Italy

5X7 - 90 mm SA

Efke Pl 100 - Pyrocat HD
JandC Nuance - MAS Amidol

Hi Don, I'd like to ask you about the camera you used when in Italy. I plan to go there next year and I'm already trying to decide what would be the best camera to take. With my wife and the agenda I won't have a ton of time to work as it always the case. I don't see myself taking my Kodak 2D 5x7 or Seneca 5x7.

Curt

Ken Lee
26-Apr-2011, 18:46
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/l17.jpg
Rakes, 2011
Kodak 2D, 180mm Fujinon SFS
5x7 HP5+, D-23

Cesar Barreto
26-Apr-2011, 19:16
Sure it's my favorite format and it suits well my favorite city.

Cesar B.

Donald Miller
26-Apr-2011, 19:19
Hi Don, I'd like to ask you about the camera you used when in Italy. I plan to go there next year and I'm already trying to decide what would be the best camera to take. With my wife and the agenda I won't have a ton of time to work as it always the case. I don't see myself taking my Kodak 2D 5x7 or Seneca 5x7.

Curt

Hi Curt, To answer your question, I used a Wisner Technical Field. I never encountered a problem using a tripod with the exception of the Cimetero Monumentale and the Duomo in Milano. They do not allow tripods inside those facilities. I am sure that you would encounter the same restrictions in any of the major cathedrals etc. In the instance of my latest post they don't mind tripods inside the Galleria di Milano so long as one doesn't impede traffic or pedestrian flow.

If you won't have the time to work with a view camera, I would use the largest film camera that you have available to you that could be hand held.

The other thing that I would mention is to be very considerate and ask permission before taking any photographs of people...especially children. They are very sensitive to this because of child pornography considerations.

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Merg Ross
26-Apr-2011, 21:29
If you won't have the time to work with a view camera, I would use the largest film camera that you have available to you that could be hand held.

This is excellent advice. On my most recent trip to Scotland and England, I found that the hand held camera made some photographs possible that could not have been done with a view camera and tripod. I say this somewhat reluctantly, as a longtime champion of large format. Both formats have their place.

In this instance, I used a 6x7 Fuji, TMY-2 and Pyrocat-HD. Several of my images in the most recent LensWork magazine were the result of this combination. My choice was not spur of the moment; I spent about a year making choices and perfecting the procedure.

You most likely will determine a different combination of camera, film and developer, but now is the time to put thought to your trip. Hope you return with a portfolio of stunning images!

Merg

Curt
26-Apr-2011, 22:40
Hi Donald and Merg, I was looking for a new medium format camera, I have both a Mamiya 645 and an RB67 but neither seems to fit the bill. I took the 645 to France and it was fine but as was said a larger format is sure better.

I recently was given a Mamiya 7ii black body but the lenses are few and start at half a grand. Which Fuji 6x7 did you take Merg? Fuji has many models and the reports are excellent on them.

The question is as old as the hills isn't it? One thing is for sure, every time I've brought a smaller format I always wished I had a larger one. Isn't that the way of it!

Sooner or later I'll make my way to Scotland, England and Ireland, that's were my ancestors are from.

Curt

Frank Petronio
26-Apr-2011, 23:28
On big Rock Candy Mountain they only sell 5x7 film and it costs a Nickel per sheet.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/8636/alysha_barn_far.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/kathleen_george_5x7_3.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/frances_ryann_5x7_factory_092310_alt.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/meagan_5x7_corner.jpg

Miguel Coquis
27-Apr-2011, 00:29
5x7 RB autograflex
210mm f:3,5
Delta 100
t:1/8

http://macoquis.caraldi.com/scaled/Retratos/Piano%20Lesson%201.jpg
Piano Lesson

mdm
27-Apr-2011, 01:07
Nice to see your pictures again Miguel Coquis.

Merg Ross
27-Apr-2011, 08:34
Hi Donald and Merg, I was looking for a new medium format camera, I have both a Mamiya 645 and an RB67 but neither seems to fit the bill. I took the 645 to France and it was fine but as was said a larger format is sure better.

I recently was given a Mamiya 7ii black body but the lenses are few and start at half a grand. Which Fuji 6x7 did you take Merg? Fuji has many models and the reports are excellent on them.

The question is as old as the hills isn't it? One thing is for sure, every time I've brought a smaller format I always wished I had a larger one. Isn't that the way of it!

Sooner or later I'll make my way to Scotland, England and Ireland, that's were my ancestors are from.

Curt

Hi Curt,

I will send you a PM when I'm back in town.
Merg

mandoman7
27-Apr-2011, 08:46
5x7 RB autograflex
210mm f:3,5
Delta 100
t:1/8

Piano Lesson
This is a great shot.

mandoman7
27-Apr-2011, 08:48
On big Rock Candy Mountain they only sell 5x7 film and it costs a Nickel per sheet.

Excellent compositions.

Liam:
27-Apr-2011, 10:16
Rakes, 2011
5x7 HP5+, D-23

Lovely tones, its as though it was shot on colour!

Vaughn
27-Apr-2011, 11:20
A movie company tent in Yosemite Valley.
By moon light and headlights of passing cars.
Double exposure, w/ focus shift

210mm lens

Scanned contact print.

Vaughn
27-Apr-2011, 11:36
Prairie Creek Fog
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park

w/ 210mm lens

Scanned carbon print

Ken Lee
27-Apr-2011, 12:15
Lovely tones

Thank you - I consider it the highest compliment.

Bill Poole
27-Apr-2011, 17:54
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/l17.jpg
Rakes, 2011
5x7 HP5+, D-23

Wow! So simple and elegant. Wonderful image.

Curt
27-Apr-2011, 18:53
Arches National Park (Kodak 2D 5x7 / Schneider Symmar 210mm) an older Pt Pd print.

Struan Gray
28-Apr-2011, 00:11
Prairie Creek Fog

Gorgeous.

mdm
28-Apr-2011, 00:29
Prairie Creek Fog

w/ 210mm lens

Scanned carbon print

Yes it is nice. I might manage that once in my life and if I post it here you will know who I copied.

austin granger
2-May-2011, 13:37
This is one of those pictures that would have been a lot easier with another kind of camera. Anyone else photographing birds with their view camera? Seems something I attempt frequently. :)

Eagle, Sauvie Island
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5680852969_e0eb3d3500_z.jpg

Ken Lee
2-May-2011, 14:03
Anyone else photographing birds with their view camera?

Here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/like/index.html#wf) is someone who photographed birds with a view camera - looks like Whole Plate.

austin granger
2-May-2011, 15:37
Here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/like/index.html#wf) is someone who photographed birds with a view camera - looks like Whole Plate.

Now THAT'S something I haven't seen before! Great picture.

Gary Tarbert
2-May-2011, 16:12
Here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/like/index.html#wf) is someone who photographed birds with a view camera - looks like Whole Plate.I actually posted a bird photo in the lounge last week to highlight this , the photo would have been impossable to capture on a view camera 1000/sec shutter speed for a start , it is in the praise of miniture formats thread . Cheers Gary

brianam
2-May-2011, 20:24
Birds and 5x7? Okay...Mojave, November 2010. Bird perched on the joshua tree I was about to photograph. Can't complain. ..well, he moved a little during the exposure. But not much by bird standards. :)
Toyo Field [gray] 5x7, Efke 25, XTOL. can't find my notes rt now on lens.

Ramiro Elena
3-May-2011, 00:50
This is turning into "In praise of birds on 5x7"!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1301/4684338001_befc394dd8_b.jpg

jonreid
3-May-2011, 03:18
A newish one I'm quite happy with. Unfinished rail bridge in New South Wales. 3km round-trip ninja style with steel manfrotto and my Deardorff 5x7. Wombats in the creek early in the morning, spiderwebs everywhere.

I think this was shot with my Super Angulon 121 and some pretty funky movements. Quick and dirty scan from the neg but printed rther nicely in pure palladium two nights ago. TXP in Rollo.

http://www.sharperstill.com/jonreid/pics/20110317F_C1.jpg

Jon

dperez
3-May-2011, 08:26

Frank,

I really dig these portraits. I especially liked the portrait of the girl with freckles. Great work as always.

-DP

austin granger
3-May-2011, 17:23
My Old Glove, Brentwood Street, Portland

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5265/5684995919_7183f2b9cc_b.jpg

gene LaFord
3-May-2011, 17:29
Austin... that is so cool, looks just like the glove I had as a kid. :D

gene

mikebarger
4-May-2011, 18:48
Nice one Austin!!

Ken Lee
7-May-2011, 16:26
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/images/forum/img006b.jpg
Daffodil, 2011
240mm Fujinon A, Kodak 2D
5x7 HP5+, D-23

D-tach
7-May-2011, 16:51
Daffodil, 2011
240mm Fujinon A, Kodak 2D
5x7 HP5+, D-23[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

So powerfull...

Michael Wynd
7-May-2011, 20:09
Whereabouts in NSW Jon? I think I need to go there.
Mike