PDA

View Full Version : TX400 & confusing data sheet !!!

GOLDFISH
19-Dec-2009, 04:45
OK. Now which one to be followed Xtol data sheet OR Tri-x400 data sheet !! Xotal says 5min in Rotary Tubes and Tri-x400 dtat sheet says 7 min "2 min different " "120 film"

Jack Dahlgren
19-Dec-2009, 08:42
Tri-x data sheet times for rotary processing are noted as "starting points" on the data sheet as they have no idea what sort of agitation your particular system gives. Small tank is pretty much standardized at this point in time. But even that is a starting point really.

Why not develop a roll at 6 minutes and see what it gives you?

GOLDFISH
19-Dec-2009, 09:25
I just finished processing ,I stick to TX data sheet which is 7min - %15 =5:57 min "Rotary processing rules:) ..two rolls 120 came out with dark base .

Jack ..thanks for responding .

Bjorn Nilsson
19-Dec-2009, 14:36
Yep, the massive dev chart says xtol + tx = 6 minutes. There are different ways of how to deal with the constant agitation with the Jobos, from -15% to nothing. If you prewet for the 5 minute which Jobo recommends, that gives an extra 30 seconds to begin with.
So, at least you're in the ballpark and as Jack tells you, the suggested dev time is a "starting point" which should be adjusted to suit your personal needs. By the way, how often do you have that half overcast/half sunny conditions which that "middle of the road" dev time is based on anyhow. (With this I mean that the suggested times are intended for a Contrast Index of 7, where fully overcast is 5-5½ and direct sunlight is around 8½-9. Personally I often find myself shooting in either one of the extremes and very seldom in the middle.) To say "B" (as I just said "A"), starting dev times for fully overcast is about +30% and for full sunshine a -20%. Your personal milage may vary, but you're running a very well known and tested combination which should give you both flexibility and very nice results. (Personally I develop almost everything in Pyrocat HD with Rodinal as the alternative.)

//Björn

GOLDFISH
20-Dec-2009, 01:14
Björn ..many thanks for such Great and helpful informations .

Bjorn Nilsson
20-Dec-2009, 01:40
I just came to think about that for Xtol in a Jobo (but nothing else) Kodak doesn't recommend prewetting. There was some bulletine sent out to clarify things and in short Jobo agreed to that there was a possibility of uneven developing with this combination. But it was all quite vague.
The objective of prewetting is to ensure even developing, so the whole subject of in this case Xtol not liking prewetting is quite strange.
As a last note, Ilford also goes against prewetting in some of their data sheets.
I've been prewetting everything for the last 20 years. Even though I of course have had various occations of strange results on the way I havn't been able to source any of them to be caused by prewetting.

//Björn

GOLDFISH
20-Dec-2009, 04:18
Björn ..many thanks for such Great and helpful informations.