PDA

View Full Version : Opinion Solicited Re Strange Shutter Behaviour

Richard K.
18-Dec-2009, 10:00
Good Day All;

I bought a 355 G-Claron a little while ago and had it CLA'ed. Since then I notice that the first time I cock the sutter, set at 1 second, it fires at a very high speed (1/125?) for about 4 to 6 cockings and firings. After that, it is completely normal at all speeds (for 10 min or so, then reverts again). This is a minor irritation of no real consequence but I'm wondering:

1.) What is happening here?

2.) And I guess this is more concerning to me...if I ever sell the lens, will this affect the amount I can get for it or would potential buyers be content to click 6 times before using? i.e Should I reCLA it?

Thank you!

BrianShaw
18-Dec-2009, 10:05
Number 1. I'd suspect that the CLA wasn't performed completely.

Number 2. That's what I'd do (have it CLA'd, not click 6 times and hope).

Jack Dahlgren
18-Dec-2009, 10:50
Good Day All;

1.) What is happening here?

2.) And I guess this is more concerning to me...if I ever sell the lens, will this affect the amount I can get for it or would potential buyers be content to click 6 times before using? i.e Should I reCLA it?

Sounds like the shutter is not adjusted properly or is broken. In either case, buyers would send it back to you or ask for a refund to cover the purchase of a new shutter, or reduce the amount they are willing to pay to account for the need to replace the shutter.

I'd talk to the people who adjusted it and have them fix it.

Vaughn
18-Dec-2009, 11:17
which shutter?

Glenn Thoreson
18-Dec-2009, 12:15
Send it back and tell them to do it right.

domaz
18-Dec-2009, 14:12
What if you set it at 1 second before cocking the shutter? If there is an easy-workaround then no reason to worry too much.

BrianShaw
18-Dec-2009, 16:48
This is a minor irritation of no real consequence but I'm wondering...

What if ...

If one can afford to take a risk than a workaround might work... or not.

If one needs/wants to be assured of getting a properly exposed image, then a properly working shutter is best.

If one wants to sell for the full value of the equipment, then a properly working shutter is essential.

eddie
18-Dec-2009, 17:14
Send it back and tell them to do it right.

what glenn said

Richard K.
18-Dec-2009, 21:14
which shutter?

It's a Copal #3.

Richard K.
18-Dec-2009, 21:27
What if you set it at 1 second before cocking the shutter?

That's what I do...:)