PDA

View Full Version : 19" Verito Pricing?

Peter De Smidt
17-Dec-2009, 07:56
I have a 19" Wollensak Verito lens. [Oops! It's really an 18"] It's in excellent shape, except the rear lens group shows some separation at the edge. The separation runs roughly halfway around the circumference of the group, and it moves at most 1/8th inch in towards the center of the lens. It's been this way as long as I've owned it, about 10 years. What would be a fair price for the lens?

Mark Sawyer
17-Dec-2009, 11:27
I'd guess $700 to $900, roughly. Veritos have come down a little bit lately, but not much. I think they'll always be a desirable lens.

wfwhitaker
17-Dec-2009, 11:50
Beyond the separation you described, you really should describe the overall condition of the glass and the condition of the barrel. Does it have a Studio shutter or is it a barrel mount? (Some people think the barrel is a better choice; others like the Studio shutter.) Does the shutter work smoothly without hanging up? If it's a barrel mount, does the iris move smoothly? Is there any damage to the barrel or cells (bent metal)? Is there a mounting flange included? (To have a new one made for that size lens would be around $150, so it affects the overall cost of buying the lens.) Is it mounted on a board? What size board? Does it include the 22" extension cell that was made for it? It's hard to determine a price without knowing the variables. What would you want to know about a lens you're considering buying?

Peter De Smidt
17-Dec-2009, 11:56
Thanks Guys.

It's barrel mounted, comes with flange, iris moves smoothly, no bent metal.

wfwhitaker
17-Dec-2009, 12:06
And if the glass is clean save for the separation you mentioned, then Mark's estimate should be about right. Keep in mind that glass separation is something that is perceived negatively even if it's in the periphery of the lens and doesn't have any visible effect on the image. Keep in mind, too, that you may need patience in this market and at this time of year. Then again, it could sell immediately. Good luck.

Peter De Smidt
17-Dec-2009, 12:21
Thanks!

Steve Hamley
17-Dec-2009, 12:56
Peter,

A really, really clean one that looked almost new went for $850 on eBay about a week ago or less. There have been some there recently, so check completed auctions.

Cheers, Steve

c.d.ewen
17-Dec-2009, 13:35
Peter,

A really, really clean one that looked almost new went for $850 on eBay about a week ago or less. There have been some there recently, so check completed auctions.

Cheers, Steve

I was surprised by that one; pleasantly, I would add, since one day I'll part with one of mine :)

In the good old days, they went for $900-1000. This past year, they tended to be in the $400 range, with at least one going well under that.

Charley

goamules
17-Dec-2009, 17:18
...In the good old days, they went for $900-1000...

That is, if you were selling then, not buying.

Steve Hamley
17-Dec-2009, 17:48
They may still be that low for user-grade. The $850 one looked basically unused. A lens that old in that good a shape will always bring a premium.

I also expected prices to drop around Christmas because everyone's low on cash, but apparently that hasn't happened either. Good pieces still seem to be drawing good bids. Pretty Kern Dagors, Gold/Gold Dot Dagors, soft focus, desirable petzvals, they're all still up there. I think the average grade stuff is still suffering.

Cheers, Steve