PDA

View Full Version : Can I speed-up A Packard Shutter ?

SteveKarr
16-Dec-2009, 19:11
Hi Everyone,
So like many of us I have a Packard shutter. I have the one with 2 bulbs, one for "bulb" and one for instant.

So I've been working with this little beauty and really quite like it, but the fastest I can get the speed is to 1/15. That's squeezing it with mad. If I go easy on it I can get 1/8. Kind' nice to at least have that.

So, is there a trick to speeding-up something in the workings to get it to snap faster? Some special mod., lube or Voodoo?

Thanks~

Steve

Mike1234
16-Dec-2009, 20:08
Get an electric shutter and controller from an old process camera. I have ten of them but I don't have the time right now to get the wiring right. Maybe someone has a set ready to go. They come in various sizes/styles/brands and are solenoid actuated.

EDIT: Dpending on shutter size the top speed may be as slow as 1/15 or as quick as 1/30... a bit faster for the little ones. But, of course, you'll have relaible control of all speeds below the max speed.

Louis Pacilla
16-Dec-2009, 20:26
Hi Steve

I think the trick is to use N.D.filters, contrast filters & or alter the light falling on subject.
I have a couple of Packards running. Some may get around 1/25th a second but I doubt it. Probably 1/15th a second most of the time.
I think the 1/25-1/15 is about tops. You can make that speed work though.
BTW- I love mine. beats the hat or cap trick. Hell that ain't bad either.

BetterSense
16-Dec-2009, 20:42
I think the trick is to use N.D.filters, contrast filters & or alter the light falling on subject.

That doesn't help motion blur though. I have a 8x10 box camera that should be handholdable but I have no shutter for it. I don't think a packard would be fast enough.

Robert Hughes
17-Dec-2009, 06:39
Use a flash! :)

Drew Bedo
17-Dec-2009, 09:18
Dual Post—sorry!

Drew Bedo
17-Dec-2009, 09:27
Steve, I think this is one of the reasons why vintage images have that "vintage" look. All technology has limitations. A friend of mine is a wedding photographer, and his studio is now all digital. He has noted that the ability to use really high iISOs and shoot with available light also means that head shots with the background out of focus is not a given. When shooting auto everything at a reception he often gets everything behind the subject too due to the small aperatures the program sets. The wiz-bang new technology has made that traditional look in a portrait harder to get. He has to consciously make it happen by adjusting settings or shooting manually.

Packard type shutters were a break-through in the day whena lens cap was the shutter and exposures were seconds long. If Packard shutters could be made to reliably work faster someone would have done it a very long time ago. Use what you have, and get the look it gives you. If you need a diferent look, (frozen motion), use a different technolog (focal-plane or between-the -lens shutter).

Mike1234
17-Dec-2009, 10:28
You could make a drop shutter mounted to the front of the lens.

SteveKarr
17-Dec-2009, 11:32
Thanks Everyone,
Some good thoughts here ... I'm using ND's now... so even 1/60 from a Sinar shutter seemed great. abit $600 !

Drew has the "Point of the Day" for me. Like maybe everyone I love the look of the older processes & lenses... but I guess my "let's improve on this" kicks in... and in the end cripples the look. So I'll just enjoy my Double Bulb, HiTech 1/15 of a second and be happy.

BUT ... Mike... what is a drop shutter? A chunk of black card with a slit in it? Forget what I said above, I Want to Know !!! HA!

Thanks again to everyone,
Steve

GPS
17-Dec-2009, 11:50
If you tried to "speed up" your Packard shutter it would most probably result in increased vibrations of the beast too. Throw one problem through the windows it will return through the doors...

Mike1234
17-Dec-2009, 12:03
Steve... sent a couple of links. BTW, google is your best friend if you want to learn more about it.