PDA

View Full Version : Lens board for Schneider Angulon 120mm

Andrew Bennett
16-Dec-2009, 11:34
Hello All

I would very much appreciate some help in obtaining a lens board for a Schneider Angulon 120mm f6.8 lens. I have just bought a Tachihara 5 X 4 and all this is very new to me !

I know that the camera takes Linhof/Wista boards but I am confused by the variation in hole sizes.

This is my first post, so I include an example of the kind of photography I do (but not with LF !) I'm really excited about getting into this branch of photography.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Bennett

Gem Singer
16-Dec-2009, 12:00
Andrew,

The size of the hole in the lens board depends on the type of shutter in which the lens is mounted and not the make and focal length of the lens.

For example, If your lens is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, it requires a 34-35mm diameter opening in the lens board.

Linhof Tech type lens boards are available from several manufactures.

BradS
16-Dec-2009, 12:15
The Schneider 120mm f/6.8 Angulon is typically mounted in a shutter that requires a 42mm hole.

venchka
16-Dec-2009, 12:26
If it's the old lens that Kerry Thalmann talks about, it may be mounted in a Compur shutter. If it were me, I would wait until I had the lens in hand. Measure the O.D. of the threads, consult a shutter chart, and order the correct board. You can even order a blank board with a custom size hole from folks like S.K. Grimes.

Is this the lens?

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/008/0086Zp-17787484.jpg

PS: When shopping, you want a Linhof board for the Technika IV model camera or newer. There are a variety of Linhof boards on the used market. They don't all fit the current Technika standard.

Peter K
16-Dec-2009, 12:40
Andrew, the Angulon 120mm was mounted in a Compur-shutter size #1 which needs as mentioned befor a lensboard with a hole of 41,6mm.

But 120mm is a short focal-lenght for 4x5". So the distance to the subject is also short if the subject should fill the whole image. This could be dangerous with a portrait you've shown us.

Andrew Bennett
17-Dec-2009, 16:01
Thank you to all the people who have replied. I am overwhelmed by the detail and helpfulness of the replies. It has certainly clarified my understanding of this issue.

In particular, I would agree with Peter K that trying to photograph a wild tiger with a wide angle lens is unwise. I'll stick to the 300mm !

Thanks again.

Andrew Bennett

drew.saunders
17-Dec-2009, 16:43
It gets even more confusing. The Tachihara uses the Technika "standard" lensboard, but it is center drilled. The Linhof, Ebony, Wista and most others use the same lensboard, but expect the lens to be mounted a little lower than centered. This picture from B&H shows where the hole is for a non-centered version pretty well: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31341-REG/Linhof_001026_Flat_Lensboard_for_1.html

See how there's a fair bit more lensboard above the hole than below it? For the Tachihara, ideally you'd get one where the hole had an equal amount of lensboard above and below the hole (i.e.: centered on roughly where the B&H watermark is on that image).

If you look on the front standard, you'll see a "0" position to zero the front rise when using a centered lensboard, and an "L" position to zero the front rise when using a "drop centered" lensboard. Since pre-drilled centered lensboards are harder to find than drop-centered, it's handy to have both the "0" and "L" markers.

Drew

Andrew Bennett
22-Dec-2009, 10:59
Thanks Drew, that's a very useful additional piece of information.

Regards

Andrew Bennett