PDA

View Full Version : Films for glass carriers

Rhondal McKinney
16-Dec-2009, 10:46
The Tmax sheet films have smooth shiny surfaces on both sides which complicates using them in glass carriers. You have to use anti-newton glass on both sides. Films used to have a shiny base side and the emulsion side was dull and would not produce newton's rings against a clear glass. Are there any 8x10 films made today that have the dull emulsion side? I'd like to use one anti-Newton glass and one clear glass in my 8x10 carrier if possible.

Jim Noel
16-Dec-2009, 10:54
Ilford FP 4+ and HP5+.
Also Tri X, and Efke films

Oren Grad
16-Dec-2009, 11:57
The only film that I've seen produce Newton's rings from the emulsion side is TMX. When I ran into that problem, I had a frame shop cut a piece of anti-reflection coated glass which I used to replace the bottom glass in one of my LPL 4x5 sandwich carriers. (That carrier comes with an anti-Newton finely textured upper glass.)

Sal Santamaura
16-Dec-2009, 12:13
The only film that I've seen produce Newton's rings from the emulsion side is TMX...I've seen Acros do it too.

Arne Croell
16-Dec-2009, 12:25
I use TMX in 4x5 regularly and also use the AR-coated glass mentioned by Oren, on both sides. No Newton rings at all. This type is sold in better framing stores, one brand is Museum glass; note that this is NOT the etched structured glass, it is an optical coating like the one on lenses.

Oren Grad
16-Dec-2009, 13:17
I've seen Acros do it too.

Thanks for mentioning that - I've never used Acros.

The coated glass in my LPL carrier is Denglas, which is no longer made. But I've also obtained coated glass under the brand Tru-Vue AR, which should still be readily available.

Rhondal McKinney
16-Dec-2009, 14:25
Many thanks to all of you for your advice. I ordered a box of FP-4 and I will look for some coated glass.

Arne Croell
16-Dec-2009, 14:35
The coated glass in my LPL carrier is Denglas, which is no longer made. But I've also obtained coated glass under the brand Tru-Vue AR, which should still be readily available.
Museum glass(R) is also made by True-Vue, the main difference is that it blocks more UV than the True-Vue AR (99% vs. 78%) and it is more expensive :-(.
Another coated glass brand is Schott Mirogard.