PDA

View Full Version : Analogue Darkroom Digital Assistant

lawjh
15-Dec-2009, 00:29
Hi All

Have designed and developed this product which I thought may be useful for black and white film darkroom professionals. It is essentially a portable device with the following capabilities :

1) Temperature compensating process timer
A timer with a thermometer probe that measures the temperature of your developer and adjust the development time accordingly. You can define up to 16 processes for different neg/paper/developer combination. For each process, you can define up to 14 time steps of 99min99sec each. Other features include display turn-off until end of Fixing, 30sec agitation beeps, etc.

2) F-stop printing assistant
Continue to use your linear enlarger timer for f-stop printing. Generates f-stop test strips, dodge or burn-in times and enter the times into your timer. F-stop print plan feature allows you to print multiple prints from the same negative or split grade printing.

3) Conversion calculator
Conversion calculators for ratio, weight, volume as well as adjustment factor for enlarger height compensation.

For more information, plse visit http://www.darkroomavatar.com

Comments, suggestions, feedback much appreciated. :D

Thks!

Rgds
Law

Kirk Gittings
15-Dec-2009, 00:36
Moderator approval is required before posting promotional items.

?

lawjh
15-Dec-2009, 00:50
Hi Kirk

Sorry abt this! Thought it was just for promotional items.

Erm..anything I can do to remedy this?? :o

Plse advise. Thks!

Rgds
Law

Bruce Barlow
15-Dec-2009, 06:14
Speaking for myself, I was interested to learn about this, although I understand the reason behind the rule (didn't we have someone trying to sell sneakers a while back?). Sounds like an interesting gadget. I also notice that this may be a new person to welcome into the "active" column of our community. Maybe placed in a different category, which I'll still find in "New Posts." That's for smarter heads than mine.

Finally, Mr. Bowen frequently shills for my book (apparently becoming a cult classic while far from paying for anything more than film), so fair's fair, methinks.

Season's greetings, Kirk, and sincere thanks for the good job.

Kirk Gittings
15-Dec-2009, 10:16
I have nothing against the product. It looks useful. Its just that procedures were not followed. This is a non=commercial site and as the rules clearly state-moderator approval is required to post an advertisement for a new product. Look above at the rules. I would have approved this, and am approving this. In the future please follow the rules.

Vaughn
15-Dec-2009, 11:15
I would prefer an analog assistant, shapely, with nice long legs. However, she would have to be smarter than me to do what your digital equipment does. I don't mind that, but she be too smart to hang around with me.

Vaughn

Nathan Potter
15-Dec-2009, 12:18
Vaughn beat me to it! I also would prefer an analogue assistant - my old joints are getting a bit creaky. With digital I seem to keep losing bits.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

lawjh
15-Dec-2009, 16:29
I have nothing against the product. It looks useful. Its just that procedures were not followed. This is a non=commercial site and as the rules clearly state-moderator approval is required to post an advertisement for a new product. Look above at the rules. I would have approved this, and am approving this. In the future please follow the rules.

Yes Sir!

For the analogue assistant (ADAA), that will be in the next version! Watch this space :D

William McEwen
21-Dec-2009, 10:02
I would prefer an analog assistant, shapely, with nice long legs. Vaughn

Voice activated.

Len Middleton
22-Dec-2009, 19:15
Voice activated.

You or the assistant? :D

tenderobject
3-Jan-2010, 18:59
the compensating process timer looks nice.. if what i understand.. if my developing time i 20C 11 minutes etc.. if the developer went to 22c-26c the apparatus would compensate the dev time? how would you put your agitation there? still the same? eh silly question. nice products

thanks!

lawjh
3-Jan-2010, 20:40
the compensating process timer looks nice.. if what i understand.. if my developing time i 20C 11 minutes etc.. if the developer went to 22c-26c the apparatus would compensate the dev time?

As an example, if you specify a compensation of 10sec per degree Celsius, when the actual developer temperature is 26c :

time = (26c - 20c) x 10sec = 60sec or 1min
the adjusted total development time = 11 - 1 min = 10min

Note that you can create up to 9 compensation profiles (also called TEX profiles) for different developer/film/paper combo.

how would you put your agitation there? still the same?

The agitation is set at 30sec intervals (one beep for 30s and two for 60s). So even if the time gets adjusted, the time intervals between the last beep and the next expected beep is 30sec.

eh silly question.

good question in fact. one of the design choices I had to make when developing ADDA was whether to hv the agitation beep sped up/slow down in line with the timing compensation, or to have a fix timing interval. I decided on the latter as the purpose of agitation is to "refresh the exhausted" developer and a fixed 30 agitation seems like a good rule of thumb based on information I've gotten from books, forums, etc.

nice products
thanks!
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like it!:D