PDA

View Full Version : Some of my favorite things........5" No Name Petzval on 4X5

Jim Galli
14-Dec-2009, 13:11
I was so pleased with this little project as the snow blew sideways most of Saturday, that I created a page of images (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NoName5InchPetzval/5NoNamePetzval.html).

Caution:

You are about to enter the world of soft and/or selective focus. If you hate that stuff, simply avoid. If not, have fun and let me know what you like.

These were made with a small non-descript 5" lantern petzval of ancient and simple nature. Yes, it'll turn up in the classifieds later today. Or not. I'm still wavering. :D

goamules
14-Dec-2009, 13:23
Excellent lighting and compositions. The little lens does great too.

Glenn Thoreson
15-Dec-2009, 11:46
The ends of the rice grass sparkle like stars.
Even the in focus points have a creamy look. Overall, I think they're very nice.

rdenney
15-Dec-2009, 13:36
How many lines per millimeter will that lens produce? What about MTF curves? Data, man, I gotta have data!

Rick ":cool:" Denney

Jim Galli
15-Dec-2009, 13:58
How many lines per millimeter will that lens produce? What about MTF curves? Data, man, I gotta have data!

Rick ":cool:" Denney

Thanks! Rick, no one in Tonopah can even spell MTF. all we know out here is wtf. :p

Tri Tran
15-Dec-2009, 14:18
I was so pleased with this little project as the snow blew sideways most of Saturday, that I created a page of images (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/NoName5InchPetzval/5NoNamePetzval.html).

Caution:

You are about to enter the world of soft and/or selective focus. If you hate that stuff, simply avoid. If not, have fun and let me know what you like.

These were made with a small non-descript 5" lantern petzval of ancient and simple nature. Yes, it'll turn up in the classifieds later today. Or not. I'm still wavering. :D

Hi Jim,
What format is this lens taken with? Nice little lens.

Jim Galli
15-Dec-2009, 14:56
Hi Jim,
What format is this lens taken with? Nice little lens.

Hi Tri. It was on 4X5 and the front group of the 5" petzval focused at about 8 1/2" infinity.

Tiziano
15-Dec-2009, 15:42
Lovely and poetic shots.
Great job.

Glenn Thoreson
15-Dec-2009, 18:48
Thanks! Rick, no one in Tonopah can even spell MTF. all we know out here is wtf. :p

Yep, that's what I use to describe my test results. Like, "WTF happened with this???" It's kind of an old west thing. :D

chachahavana
16-Dec-2009, 12:14
Hi Jim
I have sent you a PM.
Dennis

Wimpler
18-Dec-2009, 02:49
As you have had surprisingly little reaction to this post, I'll just add a "Well done!"

I especially like the 3rd picture. The out of focus coke bottle and risegrass is just fascinating!

Jim Galli
18-Dec-2009, 10:56
Thanks!

srbphoto
18-Dec-2009, 11:06
Nice, but they are a little out of focus. Probably could fix in Photoshop.

stealthman_1
18-Dec-2009, 22:57
-^- LOL! Really like these Jim. I was just in Tonopah before Thanksgiving, did the Tonopah, Goldfield, Rhyolite route to Death Valley. The third one and the train are my favorites. I love these types of shots. Inspiring.

D. Bryant
18-Dec-2009, 23:20

Caution:

Those are very sweet Jim.

Don Bryant

Jim Galli
18-Dec-2009, 23:26
Thanks!

Steve Wright
23-Dec-2009, 09:48
Jim, did you get this lens sold? Those are beautiful shots!
Steve

Jim Galli
23-Dec-2009, 09:54
Jim, did you get this lens sold? Those are beautiful shots!
Steve

Hi Steve. Thanks, and yes, it is sold and I don't have another like it just now. Best, Jim

tenderobject
28-Dec-2009, 14:27
another very inspiring images jim! i wish i could learn that style :) have to search more about petzval and thi selective focusing thingy! hehe