PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this Technika...

zwicko
14-Dec-2009, 08:54
Hi,
I am in the process of buying a Technika and have been offered one.
Unfortunately the seller is not sure which model it is.
Could you help me to identify it?
I have no idea whether itīs an old one or a newer one... :(
Serial number starts with 314xxx - thatīs all I know.

Any input much appreciated.

Bob Salomon
14-Dec-2009, 08:59
It is the Master Technika Classic which is the current model.

zwicko
14-Dec-2009, 09:13
Bob,

thank you very much!

Were there several versions of the camera (e.g. the sliding locks look different)?

Bob Salomon
14-Dec-2009, 09:59
Since the introduction in 1972 to the present there have been changes in bits and pieces. For instance, the model pictured is a very early Master Technika. You can tell that because of the small rectangular block with two holes in it by the focusing knob on the right side. That was to accept an old Linhof cable release that mounted to the camera's drop bed. That release has not been available since the 70's. Over the 39 years that the Master Technika has been made knobs and screws and slides have also changed shape. Suppliers go out of business, designs change, tools wear out, etc. The camera evolves. On the version you are looking at there are four sliding metal tabs that become exposed when the back is rotated 45°. By sliding them up you could remove the entire back assembly and replace it with the old shift back or the Aerial Roll Film Backs. When Linhof discontinued the Aerial Roll Film Backs they replaced those four sliding pieces with non-sliding tabs that were held in place with flush mounted screws. After all, there was nothing still made to replace the back with.
But then along came digital. And with that Linhof re-introduced a new sliding back with built-in shift for the Master Technika Classic, Master Technika 2000 and the Master Technika 3000. So the sliding tabs are now a feature of the current version of the Master Technika Classic and the 3000 and all the MT Classic cameras without the sliding tabs and the 2000 can be modified to add that feature.

That serial number can not be correct. It should be either 7 digits or a letter followed by 6 digits. Not just 314,xxx.

zwicko
14-Dec-2009, 10:30
Bob, thank you very very much for your explanations!

Peter K
14-Dec-2009, 11:00
Zwicko, as I told you before, the back is for single-plate-holders 9x12cm made for a Technika III. And can easily exchanged with the original back for double-film-holders.