PDA

View Full Version : Shenhao but which one?

Mark Richardson
14-Dec-2009, 06:33
Hi,
I am considering purchasing a Shenhao 4x5 as part of my foray into L.F. but I am confused as to the differences between the two 4x5 models, those being the HZX45-llA, and the TZ45-llb. Is there a difference worth paying for? The TZ45-llb is 300 gram lighter which I hope has no sacrifice in rigidity? Thank you in advance for any replies.

catshaver
14-Dec-2009, 07:42
I've seen both, and the IIa seems more ruggedly built to me, has more bellows and a wider array of movements with both base and center tilt in front and back.

Both of these are finely crafted cameras, and seem to have gotten labeled as "starter" cameras, which just rankles me. They have everything that I might look for in a wooden field camera, if I were in the market for one.

gregvds
14-Dec-2009, 08:09
Mark,

I understand you arrested your brand choice already, but why not Chamonix, or Toyo field, or Wista Field, or Ebony, or even Canham? Just for me to be sure you do choose wisely after having looked at the entire offering today.

All the best,

Mark Richardson
14-Dec-2009, 08:35
Mark,

I understand you arrested your brand choice already, but why not Chamonix, or Toyo field, or Wista Field, or Ebony, or even Canham? Just for me to be sure you do choose wisely after having looked at the entire offering today.

All the best,

While I am certainly open to suggestions, the Shenhao is within my budget. I believe my budget would have to more than double to accommodate some of the cameras you have mentioned, mind you I am looking at new prices but could be tempted by a nice second hand package.

Cheers, Mark

dave_whatever
14-Dec-2009, 08:36
...the two 4x5 models, those being the HZX45-llA, and the TZ45-llb.

Don't forget the TFC-45 (its a kinda faux-ebony-sw45) and the PTB-45 (a faux-chamonix).

gregvds
14-Dec-2009, 09:02
Chamonix is within your grasp, as well as Wista or Toyo on eBay.

All the best,

Richard Raymond
14-Dec-2009, 09:41
Mark,
The weight savings on the IIB seems to be done through slightly restricting the range of the bellows. I am sure that there are other things. One more thing to consider is that the IIB does not seem to have sold that well. I seldom see them for resale and Badger generally does not have them in stock. This may be a consideration. I noticed that there is now a PTB model that appears to be based on a Phillips design rather than the clam shell. Around the same price as the IIA.
Ric

Joseph Dickerson
14-Dec-2009, 09:59
I use the HZX 45IIa, I have students with the other Shen Haos and also a Chamonix. I'm glad I bought the 45IIa. A smidgen heavier but more movements and plenty solid.

But then again, they all love theirs too.

Bought mine from Badger by the way.

Joe D.

ki6mf
14-Dec-2009, 13:53
I second Joseph Dickerson comments. I have a IIA and have used it for 3 years. Its a solid camera and has controls are large easy to use and build quality is superior. I feel the controls make Shen Hao superior to the Ebony Zone V. I have heard that the Toyo controls can be stripped and need replacement. For the cost it can not be beat. It is comparable to my Cambo View camera in terms of movements. Another point VS the Chamonix. Shen Hao has stocking distribution world wide and is available today as opposed to ordering and waiting for delivery. I rate Shen Hao as a better better quality for less money that any other camera on the market. In the USA you almost never see these come up for sale on the used market. A Minor point the IIA is a true box camera and with lens removed does fold into its own wooden box. The Chamonix and the Shen Hao PTB/TCF do not fold into their self contained box for protection.

Brian Ellis
14-Dec-2009, 18:49
While I am certainly open to suggestions, the Shenhao is within my budget. I believe my budget would have to more than double to accommodate some of the cameras you have mentioned, mind you I am looking at new prices but could be tempted by a nice second hand package.

Cheers, Mark

The Shen Hao is a fine camera. Unless some other brand has a feature that you really think you need I'd stick with your original decision and not worry about buying a more expensive brand second hand. Most of the cameras mentioned by others here cost way more than the Shen and have little or nothing more to offer. Some have less.

Lachlan 717
14-Dec-2009, 22:11
Just as a heads up, there is a new 4x5 Shen Hao due out in the next couple of weeks...

Joseph Dickerson
15-Dec-2009, 10:47
Lachlan,

Is the info on the new Shen Hao on the net somewhere? Curious minds want to know!
Is it the 6x9 that Badger shows? I hadn't seen that one before.

Joe D.

Songyun
15-Dec-2009, 11:58
Just as a heads up, there is a new 4x5 Shen Hao due out in the next couple of weeks...

special order for sinar shutter? Post the photos of your new toys when you get it.

Scott Davis
15-Dec-2009, 11:58
I've had my HZX for almost 10 years now, and it has been nothing but great. I keep it around even though I don't shoot much 4x5 anymore just because it's so useful when I do need something in that size.

Lachlan 717
15-Dec-2009, 13:23
special order for sinar shutter? Post the photos of your new toys when you get it.

Yep. The boys from shen are working on the details now. I have sent over my shutter for them to work around.

It won't be a folding camera as I wanted extra draw (up from circa 300mm to 360. I figure that'll allow a decent range of focus for a 300mm/12" lens for portrait work, and allow a 14" for infinity.

It'll accept Sinar/Horseman bellows and Sinar lens boards as well.

The order is for dark timber, red bellows and black metal.

Once it arrives (prior to New Year, I am assured), I'll throw some photos into a new Thread.

Lachlan.

rdenney
15-Dec-2009, 13:42
Yep. The boys from shen are working on the details now. I have sent over my shutter for them to work around.

It won't be a folding camera as I wanted extra draw (up from circa 300mm to 360. I figure that'll allow a decent range of focus for a 300mm/12" lens for portrait work, and allow a 14" for infinity.

It'll accept Sinar/Horseman bellows and Sinar lens boards as well.

The order is for dark timber, red bellows and black metal.

Once it arrives (prior to New Year, I am assured), I'll throw some photos into a new Thread.

Lachlan.

Oh, I'll be keeping an eye on this one, for sure.

I have already fought off a mild temptation to get the Shen-Hao 617.

Rick "whose 90/5.6 SA seems well-suited for such a beast" Denney

brian mcweeney
15-Dec-2009, 13:52
Is this a custom only camera or is it going to be a stock 4x5 camera? Inquiring minds ...

Lachlan 717
15-Dec-2009, 15:27
Is this a custom only camera or is it going to be a stock 4x5 camera? Inquiring minds ...

Brian,

Given I had them make the original 6x17 camera for me based on my DaYi film back, and the way this is now a very popular standard item in SH's camera range, I have no doubt that they will offer this as a standard line once they've finished this custom version. I also have no doubt that this will make the Sinar shutters both way more usable and more expensive due to demand.

I really wanted something very portable to use old brass/barrel lenses on, and my L-series Horseman was just too heavy and way to bulky. There was simply no other 4x5 field camera that suited this requirement.

I will be able to use my current 10" Petzval right down to my 72mm XL (with bag bellows).

As soon as I get it, I'll post a series of shots of it (and the shutter in place).

Thus, I have no concerns about the non-folding design - got to be smaller than the Horseman!

Lachlan.