PDA

View Full Version : Lube the technika rails?

caleb
14-Dec-2009, 06:09
what to use on the rails of the technika? the front standard could move a little smoother upon deployment?
What are you all using?

thanks!

Frank Petronio
14-Dec-2009, 06:49
a dry wax-based bicycle lube

anchored
14-Dec-2009, 07:06
After trying several other products, I've settled on Vaseline lightly applied with a Q-Tip.

Bob Salomon
14-Dec-2009, 07:13
252 652 4401, ask Marflex and get the factory's recommendation. You will be much happier in the long run.

caleb
14-Dec-2009, 18:13
thanks everybody, I'll give that number a try Bob. I am leery of the vaseline, I am headed off to the mid-east for 3 weeks of shooting and that just seems like a sand and dust magnet to me.

anchored
14-Dec-2009, 19:37
Caleb -

Why call Marflex long distance when the answer is clearly printed in the manual that came with the camera? To save you the charge of a long distance call:

From the Linhof Master Technika manual (Page 3):

"Keep gliding parts, such as upper track, always absolutely clean. You may apply a very thin film of chemically pure vaseline to the upper track. Under no circumstances should oil be used."

Please note "very thin film" ...don't glob it on. As for being a dust magnet..... no it's not. I recently returned from two weeks in Capitol Reef, shooting in high winds with blowing dust. The vaseline coating did not create any problem at all... but yes, I did clean and reapply vaseline to the rails upon the completion of my shoot due to the conditions.

If you don't have a manual with your camera it might be a good idea to get one.

Glenn

Lee Christopher
18-Dec-2009, 09:06
Would a dry lube like molybdenum disulfide work?

Moly Lube™ Dry Film Lubricant
A dry film lubricant designed to lubricate and penetrate, forming a smooth, extremely slippery surface on metal. Molybdenum disulfide particles are deposited onto metal surfaces and give maximum lubricity and wear resistance, even under extreme temperatures and pressures. Won't attract and hold dust, dirt or other contaminants! Easy-to-use MOLY LUBE Dry Film Lubricant uses an almost instant-drying solvent/degreaser as the carrier in a convenient, aerosol can. Especially suited for internal lubrication of moving parts on all firearms. Recommended for precision airguns where petroleum lubricants are not advised.

Product # Description Price Order
40131 -MOS2 Moly Lube™ Dry Film Lubricant - 4 oz Aerosol $9.30

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

Peter K
18-Dec-2009, 09:40
As Glen mentioned before use only a thin film of vaseline. And never an aerosol. Also no oil because the break for the front standard will also be slippery too.

rknewcomb
18-Dec-2009, 09:52
A thin coat of vaseline is the correct stuff.
Robert

Kirk Gittings
18-Dec-2009, 10:00
At least in the SW, any Vaseline acts lie a dirt magnet. I used to use it on rail and wooden field cameras. Cameras and bicycle chains have similar problems in dirty environments, greasy and oily lubricants attract dust and dirt. Some years ago as an avid mountain biker, I started experimenting with the then new wax based bicycle chain lubricants such as Pedro's Ice wax. These lubricate fine but are not sticky and don't capture dirt. It is wax in a solution. When the solvent base evaporates it leaves behind a very thin coating of dried wax. It works absolutely superb. A small bottle will last a lifetime. I wouldn't use anything else at this point after years of testing.

Lee Christopher
20-Dec-2009, 17:57
As Glen mentioned before use only a thin film of vaseline. And never an aerosol. Also no oil because the break for the front standard will also be slippery too.

No offense Peter, but why not an aerosol?

I was thinking of spraying some dry moly in the gears on my next round of clean and lube on my view cam.

Peter K
21-Dec-2009, 02:50
No offense Peter, but why not an aerosol?
With aerosol the grease goes everythere but not where it's needed. Also the lubricant often corrodes the bellows, camera finish etc.

Better spray on a glass-plate and use a small brush to bring the lubricant only to the gear where it's needed.