PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Symmar 135 f/5.6 MC

Jim Burk
13-Dec-2009, 11:46
I am contemplating trying to get this to complement my 210. Since I am new to LF I need to ask for some experienced help! Is this a good lens for landscape, and what is a reasonable price range. I have a Wista 45 in the delivery cycle.

Thanks

Gordon Moat
13-Dec-2009, 12:23
I have the Symmar S version of that, and it is my most used lens. Really great lens, even when used at larger apertures. Probably in the circa $US 250 range would be reasonable for a nice version in a good shutter, though considering current economic conditions you may find a nice one at a lower price. Also, if you are not averse to Schneideritis, that can sometimes be a bargain lens, with no detriment to the results.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

svlindbe
13-Dec-2009, 13:25
I have one of the older (non -S) Symmar 135s. I find it very good. It is small, light and capable of very good images. To some it may also count that if you intend to use it for macro purposes, it only needs about 270 mm bellows draw to get to 1:1 (lifesize), and if you want to go a little beyond that, you can even easily reverse it. You simply swap the front and rear lens groups, as the size 0 shutter has the same size front and rear. OK - this point was taken from Ole Tjugen, but that hardly makes it less relevant. :)

Svein Lindberg

aduncanson
13-Dec-2009, 16:26
I think that any Symmar that is marked MC is a Symmar-S or later. I have a 135mm Symmar-S not marked MC with s/n 12,5xx,xxx. i.e., manufactured ca. 1974. So a Symmar marked MC is almost certainly a late Symmar-S, and a quite good lens, if it has not been abused.

JRFrench
13-Dec-2009, 16:39
I have the version rebadged as a Caltar. Ive only used it a few times but it seems great so far, impressively sharp wide open even. I paid $169 USD for it from KEH in BGN condition and the only negative thing I can see is a little bit of dust between the front elements, which I could probably clean out if I felt brave with a lens spanner. I think they have another one for $189 at the moment.

BradS
13-Dec-2009, 17:08
Great lens! They're going for next to nothing these days...grab a couple!

Frank Petronio
13-Dec-2009, 18:26
The nice thing is that you can fold up the Wista with the 135 attached.

Jim Burk
13-Dec-2009, 19:46
Thanks everyone!

I just bought this on E$$$, with a final bid of $255. I then had to get a lensboard. Hope I didn't overpay too much! The camera, lens and lensboards should all get here just before a trip up north to California Wine Country. If not, I still have a Toyo monorail, but it is rather hard to drag around a vineyard.

I appreciate all the info from this board. One of the better I am visiting!

Vaughn
13-Dec-2009, 20:36
You can say "ebay" here.

Vaughn

BradS
14-Dec-2009, 11:47
you just can't say things like "Jesus" or "Republicans". :)

bobwysiwyg
14-Dec-2009, 12:13
I have the version rebadged as a Caltar. Ive only used it a few times but it seems great so far, impressively sharp wide open even. I paid $169 USD for it from KEH in BGN condition and the only negative thing I can see is a little bit of dust between the front elements, which I could probably clean out if I felt brave with a lens spanner. I think they have another one for $189 at the moment.

One thing I like about mine is you can't accidently fire it without closing the preview shutter. I've been known to do that on my other lenses. :o

Gem Singer
14-Dec-2009, 12:33
That safety feature is built into all of the modern Copal shutters, 0, 1, and 3.

It's a function of the shutter, not the lens.

bobwysiwyg
14-Dec-2009, 12:45
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I have only one modern shutter then.