PDA

View Full Version : Verito diffusion

swmcl
13-Dec-2009, 02:25
Hello again all ye LFers,

I would like to pose a question. Is the Verito 'diffusion' due in large part to the rather raggedy outline presented by the aperture blades in the studio shutter or is it mostly due to the actual lens design?

ie. Would a Verito be a similar beast if one were to take the studio shutter off it and replace the shutter with a brass barrel into which Waterhouse stops could be fitted? (Or indeed if one could get it fitted to an Ilex #5 for that matter)

Just how much of its character would be changed? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

wfwhitaker
13-Dec-2009, 04:25
The diffusion in a Verito image is a function of the lens design. My 8 3/4" is mounted in an Ilex #4; photos from it are on the Verito page on my web site.

johnschlicher
13-Dec-2009, 04:32
The diffusion in a Verito image is a function of the lens design. My 8 3/4" is mounted in an Ilex #4; photos from it are on the Verito page on my web site.

Could you post a picture of your verito in the Ilex # 4--I have mine in a Betax # 5

wfwhitaker
13-Dec-2009, 04:50
http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/verito.htm
Bottom photo, lower right.

johnschlicher
13-Dec-2009, 04:56
http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/verito.htm
Bottom photo, lower right.

Wow!! nice collection you have there, nice pictures too.!

Thanks John

swmcl
13-Dec-2009, 05:40
Well thank you.

I shall not get so worried about the unusually shaped aperture hole then ... !

Cheers,

Mark Sawyer
13-Dec-2009, 10:25
The Verito's (Veriti?) in the studio shutter are the only ones with that irregular aperture shape. Those in the Betax and barrel mounts have very round apertures. Bit regardless, when used wide open, it's at its softest, and the aperture will be perfectly round.

The softness of the Verito comes almost entirely from spherical aberration, (as it is with most true soft focus lenses), and decreases as the aperture is closed. By f/11 to f/16, it's quite sharp.